American Self-Reliance

everance. Relying on the government is dumb, the local utility couldn't eve n keep their water flowing, a total joke. I imagine this property is very p ricey given the location.

res or to prevent damage to all homes when a fire like this is raging? Do you also expect the government to protect you from earthquakes and tornadoe s?

rvices and systems then you're damned right it's an expectation they should be able to do something.

o matter how large or how widespread? You sir, are a master of expectation .

es, they damned well better have reliable and accurate warning systems in p lace that reach everyone in the danger zone.

ing and even luckier to not have died.

al danger here really, most Malibu residents who didn't flee the area simpl y camped out on the beach where fires rarely rage. Malibu is a beachside st rip, check your map, the whole place is already at the beach.

king about how stupid he was for underestimating the fire. No, he didn't " make" his luck. Luck is luck, meaning the part of our lives that isn't con trolled. There was nothing about the fire that was controlled. He made an effort and was lucky to not have died trying.

ommon. Rather than pay for expensive earthquake insurance he suped up his home with bigger beams and supports, etc. An earthquake hit and his house came down. Not only did he lose the value of his home, but also the extra money he spent on super-building it. His efforts didn't pan out so we crit icize him for not doing the "smart" thing and buying insurance. Had "luck" gone differently people would have praised him for being clever enough to "make" his own luck. Bull. It's still luck.

onable conclusions.

such as yourself...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

and even luckier to not have died.

venting his house from burning.

by less brush than many areas and it was only luck that he had enough wate r to last through the fire. Are you suggesting he knew how much water it w ould take and he knew exactly what he was doing?

thug in the middle of a mugging. Maybe you will scare him away, or maybe you will get fatally shot. This guy didn't know either.

As I read it he made sure that there was not a lot of dead wood on his pro perty. And he did not know exactly how much water he would need. He had t wice as much water as he needed.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

:

g and even luckier to not have died.

reventing his house from burning.

ed by less brush than many areas and it was only luck that he had enough wa ter to last through the fire. Are you suggesting he knew how much water it would take and he knew exactly what he was doing?

et thug in the middle of a mugging. Maybe you will scare him away, or mayb e you will get fatally shot. This guy didn't know either.

roperty. And he did not know exactly how much water he would need. He had twice as much water as he needed.

As you say, he didn't know how much water he needed. He most likely would have died if he ran out of water. Like I said, he lucked out.

Rick C.

Tesla referral code -++--

gnuarm.deletethisbit

Ah, they managed to find a competent person in Malibu. On average though best way to afford a million dollar home in the US in 2018 is to get $973,000 of the price from ya Mom n Dad.

Ever live around wealthy urban white people? Did they all strike you as the Albert Einstein-type or the type that walks out in front of moving cars while texting on a $700 iPhone and wrecks their BMW at least once a year? Well, I'll tell ya.

Who hasn't had the boss that makes 1 million a year but can't even CC an email properly without help from the secretary. They Got There Because They Were Smart

Reply to
bitrex

Alternative explanation is that many Americans sucked some serious dick to get where they are, I'm not big into it myself but whatever floats your boat.

Reply to
bitrex

as the Feynman report stated the Challenger disaster happened in part because when NASA management began noticing SRB O-ring burnthrough they convinced themselves they understood the process, and since in the flight data points they had to look at it was never more than 1/3rd the circumference they also convinced themselves they had a "safety margin."

they didn't actually have anything for the set of circumstances that occurred that day, not 2/3rds, not "twice as much" not nothing. didn't have SHIT

Reply to
bitrex

Or rather they didn't have shit but vanity and self-assurance. Spacecraft don't fly on the wings of vanity and self-assurance

Reply to
bitrex