Amateur electronics in danger due to lack of DIP ICs

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Look at my original response. I didn't snip shit, jerk.

Feel free to make another retarded snide crack.

Extruded Aluminum does not have a pebble finish, and anodization follows the surface texture it is applied to. Maybe it was bead blasted or something first, but that is not the appearance anodization gives, nor is it the appearance that an extrusion die leaves. So it looks like powder coat. Specifically the old mottled look tool boxes used to be coated with.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

JL said it was anodize aluminum and the color blasted off with a fiber (pulsed high peak power) laser. Very permanent. Silk screens are a pain to clean.

You can do things like mark serial numbers on the product as well as standard panel markings.

The UV flatbed printers can do things like this:

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (Mon, 1 Mar 2021 18:00:43 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Jim Jackson wrote in :

Follow their 'advice', should not have, Fixing only the EEPROM was a solution, NOTHING ELSE should change!!!! But they are so secretive about that EEPROM. Idiots! One should not change the booting system between a 4GB to 8GB version!!! Rendering all work you did useless!

much ranting deleted.

The best solution to an ever recurring bad job by a company is to change company. I vote with my money, And in THIS part of the world still I can say what I think about bad work.

So will see what's up in that huge market. Too bad for your ratspi shares :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Spehro Pefhany wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I used lasers to mark products and labels for years. I do not need a primer. The debate was about the enclosure finish not the logo burn.

OK... whoopie doo.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On a sunny day (Mon, 01 Mar 2021 10:00:00 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in :

Yes, nice box but I wonder how many times you can connect somthing to the SMA connectos before those come lose of the baord. Look at the middle pin of the unused one at the right Look at the top ground pin of the one bottom left.

?
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

"their advice" - you mean someone on the forum or official rpi advice

But your work still works on a 4G board? Don't tell me you didn't do a back up?

I don't think they have shares, and anyway I'm no raspberry fan boy. I just use their cheap hardware and know enough to customise my software and not loose it between board revisions. The one thing they have got right is that the current version of their OS runs on all the old versions of their boards, so I can compile once and run on my old boards.

Obviously your experience is different, but I suspect it is your own fault.

Reply to
Jim Jackson

On a sunny day (Tue, 2 Mar 2021 10:26:16 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Jim Jackson wrote in :

Officially they have nothing.

But officially they bring out one experiment (kindly named so) after the other,

Of course I have every card backup on a regular basis, on many media actually As I write software things change all the time

So card for Pi4 4G did not work in Pi4 8GB

Made a copy and did that apt blah blah number Sucked

Why would I want to run a current version for RP4 8GB on a RP1?

You can suspect anything you want. I gave out a warning, and for me I have enough of raspberry crap coders.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

All connectors are used.

The edge-launch SMA are soldered on both sides of the board and are very strong. The solder that matters is between the pins and the pads, which doesn't show in that pic. My people solder very well and my QC lady is very aggressive.

This is the cheap Shining Star edge-launch connector. It gets 5 solder joints.

In the 20 picosecond range, it is just as good as one of the $12 "microwave" connectors.

Of course, you've got to get the pads and stackup right to make a clean transition into the connector from microstrip. We simulated that with ATLC2 and verified on real boards.

The J270 board has 1 ns edges so isn't so fussy.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

SMA threads also wear out. Provided you use a torque wrench each time, you can stretch SMA threads out to about one hundred connections, no?

Danke,

--
Don, KB7RPU, https://www.qsl.net/kb7rpu
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

On a sunny day (Tue, 02 Mar 2021 08:19:36 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in :

Yes of course, was just using it to point that one out

That looks good recently had some edge connectors come of from an ebay made in China board,,, But those did not have the bottom pins but the price was only a few $... Soldering fixed it again.

OK

That is new to me, ATLC2, nice presentation!

I am always a bit worried about mechanics, having experienced how 'operators' sometimes handle equipment.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 2 Mar 2021 16:40:09 -0000 (UTC)) it happened "Don" wrote in :

SMA cables are just as bad..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ATLC was a clever program, and ATLC2 is a friendlier version. I don't know if it's still supported.

That run was the connector alone, in free air, not on a PCB.

On the board, we had to tweak the pad size and cut away some inner plane layers to get a good 50 ohm match. We add a big copper pour on the bottom side to finish things off. That makes the solder joints much stronger, too.

We haven't had any problems so far.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

I use SMA connector savers on my big Tek sampling scope and have never worn one out. A couple of these must have been used thousands of times. I tighten by hand.

"Don" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@crcomp.net:

That depends on the torque setting you decided to use. We use what the industry recommends (typically Pasternack).

Also some SMA are steel.

We used 11 inch pounds throughout and had wrenches that break over at that set point with zero possibility of additional torque application as other tools can deliver.

And that was on multi-million dollar satellite baseband gateway rack sets with thousands of connections within.

When assembling to a panel the torque needs to be higher than the torque one expects to mate connectors to it with. That way they do not loosen in the field. Avoiding that type of connector is best but not always an available solution.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I think they bead blasted the extrusion to give it that hammertone appearance. Hides a multitude of sins.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Oddball question here- I have a RPi that I run Octoprint on to control a couple of 3D printers. Was having some problems getting a second camera going so I did a poorly advised install/update/upgrade and ended up bricking the Pi. No real problem, restored it from backups on a new SD card, but the original card now cannot hold the original image, it's a small number of bytes short (but still functions).

Any idea what happened? I tried obvious things like Etcher and the SD card consortium official format tool but no change. Good quality Kingston 16G card. Hardware failure associated with all the writing?

Not worth a whole of effort but it bugs me.

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I can see the thickness of the blue stuff where we drilled holes. It's pretty much zero.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

On a sunny day (Wed, 03 Mar 2021 15:59:37 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

This is a known problem, I ran into it and found others with google with the same problem. The Pi1 (old version) somehow messes up the card. What I did IIRC is get the card that no longer booted, put it in the laptop, mounted the 2 partitions, and all seemed well. Could read all data. Got the backup image an put that with dd on the same card, now it booted. Backup was 200 days oldthough.... Later I got the important data (logfiles ship and plane data temperature humidity radiation etc) from that not really 'defective' card and copied it to the new one. ??

I now only use Samsung SD cards so I took the opportunity to dd to a bigger size card and let raspi-config extend the filesystem. Been running OK since. root@raspi73:~# df Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on rootfs 30709628 14214556 15096804 49% / /dev/root 30709628 14214556 15096804 49% / devtmpfs 216132 0 216132 0% /dev tmpfs 44880 236 44644 1% /run tmpfs 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock tmpfs 89740 0 89740 0% /run/shm /dev/mmcblk0p1 57288 19000 38288 34% /boot root@raspi73:~# uptime 08:53:52 up 20 days, 18:34, 11 users, load average: 1.79, 1.84, 1.83 root@raspi73:~# uname -a Linux raspi73 3.6.11+ #371 PREEMPT Thu Feb 7 16:31:35 GMT 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux root@raspi73:~#

2013 :-) And, as you can see, I load that stuff to the maximum. Previous uptime before the card problem was >200 days. It went wrong when I moved house and all sort of things got power disconnected and thrown in boxes... In the new place it would no longer boot...

So what was wrong with the card? Nothing, could also mount the 2 partitions on the laptop and read all files. Maybe some bit in the bootsector changed?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje