Aluminum-core PCB cost?

These guys are pretty cheap, almost the same as FR4:

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

but only single layer

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I don't know Phil's requirements, but we sometimes use 1 oz copper pours on multiple layers (with lots of vias) as heat spreaders. Via to the bottom side then gap-pad to the enclosure. Or use the mounting screws as thermal exits.

lunatic fringe electronics

I have used them several times, with excellent results, good direction.

Great Scot, in my case only single-sided. Sounds like a super-custom thingy. IBM perhaps? They can do 70 layer ceramic PCBs:

The ones abovementioned were negligible compared to a regular FR4. +50% or so in the quantity of 15, prototype-mode order and 10 days manufacturing.

11 bucks net a piece for the size of 88x110mm.

  1. There's no point in drilling. ;-)

  1. Your vocabulary will get marvelously enriched during the hand assembly of the prototype, don't even attempt it without a decent preheater.

  2. You'll love them.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

:-O

:-OOO

Why didn't he just use a meter of a bare electric wire or, if really wanted to be fancy, the flat winding wire like this?

The biggest one can handle 180 amps and can be soldered to a regular PCB where needed. BTDT, but with the 30A-rated variant.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

1.45mm of missing FR4 better.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

but you can have vias and multiple layers

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Vias are conductive, so you need at least blind vias (expensive) or burried vias (even more expensive) and a multi-layer board (expensive again). The single-layer ALU is cheap and works like charm. HV circuits are easy with that substrate, while the question about how exactly you want to connect that mains-powered conductive sandwitch to a grounded radiator plate might get interesting.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski