Altium Designer Training

I let my Altium subscription lapse at release 10, but recently downloaded their latest release to see if it was worth upgrading.

When browsing for information on the recent additions to the software I came across this site

which has dozens of free short "how to" videos on Altium. Even though I'm a long time user (since Protel 2.something) I picked up a few tips that were new to me.

It looks like a great site for anyone starting out with Altium (who used to provide great training material many moons ago but know longer seem to do so).

I've no connection with fedevel the site etc.

Reply to
JM

The online course scene is interesting. Last I looked you could still find a lot of Altium stuff online for free. Altium's in person courses are expensive ($ thousands).

There's EdX which allows you to complete courses including quizes and so on without paying anything (certificates cost a nominal amount of money.. $50-$300 IIRC). Major Universities and some excellent lecturers.

Coursera won't let you take quizes without paying (relatively reasonable amounts for anyone seriously interested), but you can watch lectures for free. Again some major Universities. I just did one from Univ. of Colorado. They verify identity and give out certificates for succesful completion.

The above guys and similar companies.. where you pay for access to everything. Again relatively reasonable amounts per hour. ISTR one where the guy teaches you to design a motherboard (course costs $100 or $200). I think that one's Altium based too.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

IIRC the newest important things are: a few routing tweaks, component shoving, annotation (allowing you to specify physical designators for components created from logical (hierarchical) components), text frames on PCB, actually usefully fast polygon repour, and probably other things I'm forgetting or am too accustomed to to remember.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

Since 10 by far the most useful addition to me (would have been) the xsignals addition. I've done a few very complicated digital boards the last couple of years and using a separate spreadsheet to track path lengths isn't my idea of fun.

The added support for flex boards is also nice, could be useful for pitches/proposals.

A lot of the bugs that have been there for years (and years...) are still there - features that the suite is supposed to have but have in fact never worked correctly.

Reply to
JM

I have a subscription and have only used 14+

But as far as I know I only use the features from 10. The newer stuff looks good in sales videos but I have not found it that useful. YMMV of course.

The subscription is looking rather overpriced to me.

For example I ended up rolling my own libraries entirely (and downloading

3D models from 3dcontentcentral et al).

Yes those videos are great and are the reason I chose Altium recently.

They do a really good job of hiding it so as not to lose sales of the resellers traning courses I expect. There is an old training course as PDFs floating about based on the "summer 09" release IIRC.

--

John Devereux
Reply to