AlN in clamshell thing

Some of my custom aluminum nitride insulators just came in.

They were shipped in what sure looks like a silicon wafer carrier thing, about a foot square. The parts are actually kind of medium grey, not the pinkish color in the pic. That's how you can tell AlN from alumina... it's grey.

I need to make some rig for measuring thermal conductivity. That comes up a lot.

Goodfellow quoted me about $12,000 per square foot for AlN slabs, unmachined. I don't know why anyone would ever buy anything from Goodfellow.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Cool, they might mount power semi's at the same plant.

Two sensors and a heat source... there's some cute things with thermal couples.

Small stuff maybe, ultra pure? I've got a link to a place that sells elements, I want a cc of Tungsten and one of Magnesium, just to hold in my hands.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

One's faulty, it has the hole at the wrong end :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You can get tungsten rods at any shop that sells TIG welding supplies. It won't be in a cube shape though, if that is what you meant. You can even still get it with 2% thorium added, if you want something fairly safe to test your geiger counter with. I wouldn't recommend using it for welding though as lots of dust is produced when grinding it to a pointy tip.

Reply to
Chris Jones

That round metal thing fits into a dicing saw, and the non-sticky side of the sticky film (dicing tape) gets held onto the vacuum chuck of the dicing saw. Some of the dicing tapes are UV sensitive: after dicing the wafer, the tape is exposed to UV and it becomes much less sticky so that it is easier to get the chips off the tape.

Reply to
Chris Jones

OK I've now bookmarked the page....

(I never know what to get my daughter for B-days and such, so I usually buy her an element.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

What's that copper rin for? Deflecting evil rays emitted by alien spacecraft?

Alumina doesn't have to be white, you can also have ivory.

That one is for the UK and Australian markets, left-hand drive.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'm thinking that the people who made these for me also dice up silicon. The edges are a little rough, lasered maybe.

lunatic fringe electronics

Grinding I think.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That's just art\\\ bad photography. The metal thingie is shiny chrome and the insulators are medium grey.

I'm going to mount one of my transistors upside-down from the rest.