Alkaline battery leakage; what is best product to cleanup.

A number of times I have some gadget that I haven't used in years and when I need it I find out the batteries have leaked. What is the best way to clean up contacts?

Reply to
ghelf

I use white vinegar, but that's just my personal method. Also, I found Q-Tips to be quite useful for application and scrubbing.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I use soda water. ...Jim Thompson

Ain't that sumpthin' to mix cocktails with?

:-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yep. But I don't drink cocktails. ...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

you want an -acid- to neutralize the -alkaline- battery electrolyte. Thus vinegar,a mild and common household acid. I suppose lemon juice would also work,and leave a nice lemony smell. ;-) (although lemon juice also contains oils and leaves a residue..)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Soda water IS a mild acid: carbonic acid, H2CO3.

I find it VERY effective at cleaning up lead-acid battery posts (and clamp connectors), and NO residue.

Every time I change out a car battery I give the tray and connectors a wash-down with soda water followed by hosing. ...Jim Thompson

It also has a higher calling, being a good nutrient and vitamin source. I know people use lemon juice for cleaning up battery leaks but somehow it doesn't feel right to me, morally ;-)

Ok, vinegar is also food but lower on the pecking order :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... [snip]

Ellen DeGeneres does a funny bit about club soda. She was on an airplane and spilled some salad dressing on a silk skirt, and the flight attendant responded: "Club soda - be right back" Has an upset stomach... "Club soda - be right back" Stewardess, the wing's on fire! "Club soda - be right back"

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Nothing will work well. The electroplating will be gone from the steel spring contacts and they'll keep corroding.

"Eliminate" bathroom cleaner is a good metal oxide remover because it's unlikely to cause additional reactions. Acids sometimes make their own mess through rapid galvanic corrosion.

--
I will not see posts or email from Google because I must filter them as spam
Reply to

Prevention is easier than a cure. Use Duracell batteries in little-used stuff. When it leaks, Duracell will replace the item, no questions asked.

Reply to
mike

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

This has been a topic on NPR's "Car Talk", though I think they like Coke. Soda water has less gunk in it, so it is probably better suited for the task.

Reply to
miso

Coke has phosphoric acid, which converts iron oxide to iron phosphates. Nothing to do with neutralising an external contaminant.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Once I bought a rust remover from a hardware store, and it was just concentrated phosphoric acid.

Many soft drinks contain citric acid, which is effective for removing mineral deposits -- there is a popular calcium remover here called CLR that is basically just concentranted citric acid. I'm not sure how much citric acid there is in club soda or other drinks, or if it's enough to be useful for cleaning battery contacts if there is more than minor corrosion or chemical residue.

For really corroded contacts, I've had success using Flitz metal polish. It is oily, so it is necessary to clean the residue off the metal. There are other metal polish products that are water based. If that doesn't do it, then you need to use sandpaper, then metal polish.

If the corrosion ate through the plating on the battery contacts, it may expose underlying copper. Brass polish and copper polish are both good for cleaning copper.

Jay Ts

Reply to
Jay Ts