Agilent Oscilloscope - ripoff or rebadge?

I just stumbled across these:

German "Welec" brand. Looks incredibly similar to various Agilent offerings (54600, Infinium etc) in terms of button shape, location, colour, panel silkscreen, and menu look'n'feel.

I know Rigol design and make the low end Agilents, but this appears to be something different again.

Plus they are going damn cheap on eBay:

$699 for a 200MHz, 1GS/s, 16KB, VGA screen scope.

Anyone know anything about these?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

And the datasheet says made in the EU, with a 5 year warranty. Wittig Test Technologies are the US distributor.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks for that.

Ouch! Obviously not re-badge...

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Yeah I'll stick to my 45 year old 1S1 1GHz sampler.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

I'm amazed that they can come up with the money to purchase plastic moldings and get some semblance of a production line going yet they can't find some decent programmers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is that they hired an ME for the case design and other mechanics, but they're doing the software and hardware design in-house and simply aren't that good at it... but won't admit it and therefore hire outside help.

I'm also not convined that just ripping off HP's interface/mechanical design is really going to garner them many sales they'd otherwise lose... it's not like anyone's fooled, are they? I'd take the chance to try to improve on HP's design or at least come up with your own "style" even if the interface is largely the same.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Some companies do that. Like Instek where I bought a scope a while ago. It has rather interesting features over and above of what the "big two" offer. Also a fast PC connection that really helps guys over 40 like me. Don't have to juggle between 1.5x and 3x glasses anymore when using that scope. Now if they just hadn't picked those bonbon colors as channel identifiers ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, I remember you seemed rather happy with that purchase. Which model did you get again?

I like what the cleverscope.com guys have to offer, although I do wish they'd go above 100MHz (but I guess I'm spoiled when 400MHz 2465s have been around forever and it's been more than a decade since I've had anything less than

500MHz digital readily available at work).

That Instek GSP-830 spectrum analyzer is looking nice, although they want $5,400 for it.

Hmm... and here I was thinking was a useful and inexpensive display/control something like a Nokia N800 (800x480 4.1" LCD,

-- runs Linux, dirt cheap at $220) or Windows Mobile-based PDA (the ones with 640x480 LCDs...

320x240 is a little crude, as the Tek TDS2000 series of scopes demonstrates) would be.

Yeah, most test equpment sure doesn't "look" like test equipment anymore these days.

John Larkin's stuff still does. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

messagenews:481b06ff$ snipped-for-privacy@dnews.tpgi.com.au...

_HP's_ design??!! Puleeeezzz!

Reply to
Tom Bruhns

It is the GDS-2204. The not so nice thing is a lowish screen resolution but OTOH the screen is rather bright. Had to turn it way down. Often I use the PC anyway and then you can have all the resolution you want. It's amazing how many languages they crammed in, some I don't even know (they are only indicated in their native "hyroglyphs"). Also I don't like the automatic transition to equivalent time sampling that all those DSOs do.

Nowadays you really need more than 100MHz.

Wait until you grow older. Then a 15" laptop screen is really nice :-)

I just got used to it and I'd rather accept bonbon colors and 25K storage depth than Tek look and 2.5k depth.

However, it does carry a different price tag. He's hinted that there could be a d.s.e. discount though.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I know they didn't design the hardware itself, but don't you think they still "designed" the interface (both GUI and mechanical)? Or did Rigol or whoever it was already have that design out before HP came along?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

His P400 programmable pulse generator is quite reasonably priced... we almost bought one at work here, although then the guy who was thinking of needing one decided he didn't, in fact, need such fast pulses after all.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I think his point was that Tek lead with cheap DPO's.(and usable triggering)

RL

Reply to
legg

I am still using an analog pulse generator, the PM5785B from Philips/Sweden. Ok, not totally analog since you can click the number of pulses into a mechanical BCD switch array with rolling number wheels. I love that little retro gadget in there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

In the late 1980's I was in the market for a DSO, and I worked for a company that was a stocking distributor and service center for Tektronics. However, the programming interface was klunky, and the controls were not laid out very well. They even had a test board to check performance. I wound up purchasing a Hitachi storage scope, which I still use today. It's only 60 MHz but I don't do RF, and it's fine for switching power supplies, audio, and line frequency work that is my usual fare.

I had always liked HP scopes over Tek, and I still have an HP130A. I liked their panel layouts, and the large knobs with a subdued color scheme and a very positive feel. There is a picture of this model (along with racks of old HP equipment) in this website I found:

I also had one of the HP200B oscillators with rounded corners that was vintage 1941, but I gave it away with a lot of other old equipment for which I did not have room (or use). It's nice to know someone cares enough to preserve this legacy.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

I posted a warning about them last year when I was looking for a DSO.

Sorry for the long URL.

There is enough keywords in there for anyone to find it,who's considering a wiitig.

They also used deceptive practices in DSO comparision charts. The website is down ,(surprise) where they had a BS DSO comparison chart. It used to be here.

I wound up buying an Instek GDS2102 , best value for money at the time.

Reply to
Hammy

IMHO Tek had the better trigger sensitivity and behavior.

Oh man, my wife would have a fit if I ran a museum as large as that.

How did they mill the numbers and such into the metal in those days? They didn't have CNC back then.

I've got an old Rhode&Schwarz SMF that dates back to that era, but with a tired tube in there. My wife would like it if it went into the hands of someone who treasures that, as long as that someone isn't me ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That man has a lot of cats.

Oh, and HP equipment too.

I enjoyed his writing about his teaching experiences, e.g.,

.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

.

Nice. Although I think he misses an important point. Even today's good students aren't as good anymore as they came 20 or more years ago. For EEs the reason is that while they are motivated most never had exposure to real hardware. Because everything was given to them. When their radio, toy, whatever broke they just got new one and chucked the broken one.

It's just like with any other task. For example the best drivers are not the smart cookies but the ones with half a million miles or more under the belt. Nothing and certainly no amount of school activity can replace real experience.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, although starting somewhere in the '80s even if they had wanted to repair the old one it became substantially harder as more and more discrete components ended up inside of hard-to-source ICs. I wonder if there are even any professional TV reapair shops left that troubleshoot to the component level rather than just the module level? (Since of course with labor costs being what they are relative to new modules cost, it's generally cheaper not to do so.)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner