Advise for intel about integrating RAM onto chip.

One more posting though about the "RAM" integration attempt of intel and others onto CPUs/chips.

It seems Intel is trying to be "nice" about it and trying to create an "eco" system for other RAM manufacturers to deliver "RAM" chips for integration on top of the Intel's CPUs.

This tactic/strategy is probably flawed and weak. Bussiness is war, in war help nobody, everybody has to fight for themselfes, effectively.

Nobody will probably join Intel into this effort until it's proven that it will work and even then it is doubtfull. This tactic/strategy is taking too long apperently.

RAM chips may be necessary for other devices or laptop or what not. This may be an unforseen complication with this idea.

Thus I must concluse that this RAM integration onto CHIPS is an ALL-or-NOTHING strategy.

That means Intel will have to pull this off WITHOUT help from RAM manufacturers and they must do it in such a fashion that it involves ALL of their products.

Laptops/PC chips, server chips maybe even mobile phones or surface device and so forth.

Intel MUST be willing to "DESTROY" the RAM companies. It is either DESTROY or be DESTROYED potentially.

Intel stands for "integrated electronics" this is what they do, this is at the hart of their company. In the past Intel integrated CACHE chips into their CPUs.

They could very well do the same with RAM chips. But they must produce these themselfes and integrate them well.

Perhaps RAM companies will then come to intel to strike a deal before they go out of bussiness.

For now basically my conclusion is that CEO and maybe head of intel is too nice and to weak to bite through and make this happens.

Investors may have to call for FIREING of CEO if CEO is not willing to destroy RAM companies.

Intel may be very well in trouble and their future is at stake. It's other Intel destroy RAM companies or they have no good product to survive against the uncoming unslaught of AMD.

And these many-core processors will start to trickle down to laptops as well.

One temporarely solution would be to "clone" and "copy paste" threadripper design/chiplet design and go with that for now, it's proven to work somewhat, it gets hot but is doable.

Until ram on chip is decently integrated and if it's coolable.

In a way AMD seems to have beaten intel to this thanks to chiplet design and HUGE 288 MB cache in total on Threadripper 3 3990x.

I write this message mainly to try and save INTEL from destruction, Intel is needed to keep prices competitive and don't play under one HOOD lol ! ;) =D

Bye for now, Skybuck.

P.S.: Thoughen up ! =D

Reply to
skybuck2000

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:d27e3361-d297-4bbe-ade9- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

SNIP!

You are such an idiot.

I am pretty certain that Intel knows a lot more about things than you ever will, child.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Please don't, or we'll have to killfile you.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Just stacking RAM and CPU on separate chips in the horizontal direction or vertical direction is very boring.

I am interested if someone integrates a one gigabit of RAM with a SIMD (vector processor). A 32Krows x 32 Kcolumn RAM with 1024 parallel 32 bit ALUs would be an interesting parallel architecture.

Reply to
upsidedown

snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

IBM's 7nm stuff looks really cool. How they gonna connect up to that onto the outside world?

Whether stuffed gets stacked or not is a no-brainer. As things get smaller and less hot, we WILL start bringing other elements into closer proximity. So sure, we will see local arrays being used.

But dang, how they gonna hook all that shtuff up!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

But the title of the post is integrating it onto the CPU chip. And of course Intel CPUs have had cache RAM since the 386. So, again, IDK what he's talking about.

Gigabit?

with a SIMD

Reply to
Whoey Louie

  • What are you talking about boy? Never heard of L1,L2 cache? That is RAM, kid.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Now THAT is more like it!

Reply to
Robert Baer

It should be noted how a dynamic RAM works.

On a 1 Gbit RAM the 15 bit row address selects one of the 32 K columns. The contents of all 32 K cells in that row are read out and forwarded into 32 K sense amplifiers and all the nits in that column are written back to 32 K cells in parallel.

On a read cycle the output of only 1-8 sense amplifiers are selected by the column address and forwarded to 1-8 I/O pins. On a write cycle. most of the column bits are written back as in a read cycle _except_ for 1-8 bits, in which the sense amplifier output is replaced by the I/O pin values. The column address defines, which bits of the column are taken from the I/O pins.

On a typical DRAM chip, the severe bottle neck is the memory _interface_ to the external world being only 1-8 bits wide, while internally 32 K bits would be available. It would be impractical to have 32 K external I/O pins :-)

If the ALUs are integrated on the same chip, all 32 K column bits could be accessed in parallel. Architecturally this would be simple to make a vector processor (SIMD) with say 1024 ALUs connected to the sense amplifier outputs A 32 bit column could support 2048 of 16 bit ALUs, 1024 of 32 bit ALUs or 512 of 64 bit ALUs (e.g. double precision floats each).

Reply to
upsidedown

Skybuck's been the same age for the last twenty years.

RL

Reply to
legg

The Russkis tried something like that long ago, but I can't find the pic anywhere :/

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

For a couple of years now, I have been trying to figure out exactly what is wrong with Skybuck.

So far, the top-3 contenders are:

1) He's off his meds (again) 2) A TV fell on his head as a child (I'm thinking a Kloss Nova Beam Model-1, three-lens projection TV, from an appreciable height!), or 3) He hasn't had sex yet; potentially even including himself. (Or if he has, it just wasn't as enjoyable as posting his drivel here.)

Or, maybe he's just crazy.

Reply to
mpm

legg wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

He has spent way too much of the last five of it making inane posts into this group.

Did you see how cool that IBM 7 nm die looked? Wow. 30Bn elements on less space using way less power running faster. You could put 4 of them into a cellphone and have a quad quad. Or the cellphone PCB will be 900 sq mm and the rest will be a battery that makes it run for a month.

I hope they (IBM) come out with a new, super powerful, already scalar Power PC version of the CELL CPU. Then folks WILL be building supercomputers under their desks. Redux the CELL. That lil bastard would run circle around everything had they not clamped the clocks on it. Bring it back... Badder then ever. Emulate all that x86 and other intel multi-pipe crap easily and faster. Just add a primo graphics engine and set it up for AI too. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Ever seen our hand wired core rope memory?

Impractical? Yeah... path lengths alone.

Even today's architectures on the MOBOs make for timing issues and some traces have to have wiggles in them to slow down the arrival of their pulses with respect to their neighbors.

Kind of like how engine headers need equal length pipes to be in tune.

The F-35 stimulator racks I fitted with a few thousand high freq SMA cables all had to be equal length. You would not believe how cheap they get when you contract cable houses and look for bids on builds that big. And we did more than a few stimulators for the DoD. That is systems of 15 racks of a gazillion dollars worth of High Ghz gear). When they bought our gear, most of the bid goes into the gear. No cheating the gov boys when you are at 10 to 30GHz.

Instead of a few bucks a foot, they become a few bucks each (the cables). No way we could have matched that in house. Would have cost us millions, even if we produced higher quality product.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Did everyone see that TSMC is now leading Intel in process technology? They are shipping a lot of product on 7nm, including AMD cpus for all markets, while Intel only has it's mobile products on 10nm. TSMC will be rolling out 5nm later this year.

IDK what all has gone wrong at Intel, but I know that the bean counters, not tech or manufacturing is running the company now. The board is chock full of similar. The transition to bean counters started with Otellini, now they have as CEO a guy who was CFO at Ebay. Quite stunning. Wonder what Gordon Moore thinks? Andy and Bob Noyce must be spinning in their graves.

Reply to
Whoey Louie

Whoey Louie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Did you stop to think that Intel is going to bypass the 7nm node entirely?

The reference I made was to IBM. TSMC and Samsung and IBM are making 7nm node chips together that look better than the process AMD went with. Mostly the same but slightly newer.

They look way cool. Like old sepia photos, only 'crisper'. hehe. Way 'crisper'.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Whoey Louie wrote in news:7bfb4c1d-998a-4bfb- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

With 7nm just entering the market, it will take a few years to amortize the fab hardware costs.

Got a citation?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

yeees. Ever seen a valve?

Yeah. There are better ways to handle that of course, but it does require a bit more complexity.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr