Advice needed for University Project: Bluetooth, PIC & LCD Display

Hi, This year I am going to be conducting my final year university project. I have chosen to make a device that will control what media is being played on a computer, like an advanced remote control. The control will connect to the computer via bluetooth. It will also have an LCD screen that displays the currently playing track, and with the use of buttons on the control the user can browse through all the media on the computer and select what he/she wants to listen to. I plan to use a PIC Microcontroller in the control to receive data from a bluetooth module, process it then display it on the LCD screen. The LCD screen will be fairly small (something like 20mm x 50mm) as it is suppose to be a compact device. To make production easier I hope to use an already built bluetooth module that will take care of the handshaking, pairing, etc. for me. I have not had any experience using bluetooth or LCD modules but I have some basic knowledge using the PIC16F88.

Now that you know what I am doing here is my question... Could anyone recommend which PIC, bluetooth module and LCD display to use? Also would this project be simple enough to program is ASM or would it be better to do it in C? Has anyone attempted something like this before? If so what components did you use and what problems did you run into? Can anyone recommend any good books on this subject? I also want to try and use the latest devices to try and keep up with the modern day. I am not asking for someone to do this work for me, I am just trying to get an idea of where to start.

I have briefly looked on Rapid Electronics for bluetooth modules and they have this one

If that link doesn't work go to
and search for 43-0426 Is this a good bluetooth module or can you recommend any better ones?

Thanks for the help Sami

Reply to
furiousdog

Why don't you do something that has to do with electronics?

John

I knew you were going to say something like that before I read it, John. :-) Just remember -- the world needs far more "system integrator" types doing what Furious Dog up there wants to do than actual honest-to-God circuit designers!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Being in your final year you shouldn't have to ask these questions IMO. OTOH, at least you can spell, punctuate and construct proper sentences. On top of that, you seem to be on the right track (as far as constructing something that can actually work). :-)

That bluetooth module should work ok for you since it creates a virtual serial link between the two devices. You could obviously write this all in Microchip assembler, it may turn out to be more work than you think. What with all the overhead of creating routines to scroll (and otherwise) manage the LCD. Since you just need to display a bit of text, you might want to go with a Hitachi based LCD since there is a large amount of info available on the internet.

I'm pretty much a die-hard PIC/ASM kinda guy, but I'd probably do this with an ARM board and write it all in C. Especially if you plan on implementing anything more complex than a serial link to the PC. You didn't mention what would be running on the PC end, or were you planning to implement some OBEX protocols?

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

For the LCD, I highly recommend using the Nokia 3210/3310 LCD. You can get them from handphone spare parts vendors though the cheapest I've found is Jelu:

$9 each - since they're cheap enough buy 2 or 3 in case you damage one. The interface is SPI and is well documented. You'll find it used in lots of hobbyist projects so there's lots of code for it floating around out there on the web. It's just black & white though but for your app I think it should do fine.

one

Don't know if it's better but the module from SparkFun looks nice:

slebetman

I am actually studying BSc Computer Systems Engineering. So this type of project is quite appropriate for me.

Reply to
furiousdog

one

Thanks for all the replies!

The modules from SparkFun also seem to be cheaper which is an extra bonus. I also noticed they sell LCD screens. I started looking into the Hitachi based screen and there is a lot of information on them. So I think I will start off using the Hitachi screen, then once I have the main parts of the project working I can expand it to use a graphics screen like the Nokia one you mentioned and get it to display simple bar visualizations. You are right the Nokia displays are cheep, so I might get a couple of them and just tinker with it to familiarize myself with them.

The software part of the project I plan to program in C# using Mono

so that it will be multi platform. I have had a lot of experience programming in C# so hopefully I shouldn't run into any problems here.

Am I correct in saying that only the high-end MCU family can be programmed in C? I swear I read that somewhere but I could be wrong. I have never had any experience programming PICs in C, so can anyone recommend a particular compiler or book on the topic. I am not trying to start a discussion on which compiler is better then the other, I have seen that topic discussed countless times on other forums.

Thanks again for the help. Sami

Reply to
furiousdog

Yes, but I have a Holy Analog Mission to promote the understanding of electricity.

1's and 0's are dimensionless!

John

what

Then you should be asking for help on a computer newsgroup. We speak 'solder' around here.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

That depends on the metric space that you are using.

Reply to
JosephKK

They don't look very nice but the LCDs with the HD44780 Controller are very easy to use, you should be able to get these working very quickly.

I've bought several 128x64 Graphics LCDs from EBay for around 5UKP each, JE-AN 1286404. LED backlight, 60x30mm display, around 20 x 8 characters. Easy enough to program for but they do need lots of pins, you can just about manage it with a 28-pin device but a 40-pin would be better.

You may need to create a software character generator, not all graphic LCDs have one built in.

For PICs, they can all be programmed in C. You'll need to buy a compiler from someone like HiTech if you want to use a 16F series part. 18F parts and above can use the free Microchip compiler, which I've found to be quite good.

I've not used many 18F parts so I can't comment on a good choice for those, but if you want to use something with a bit more horsepower and RAM and flash I'd go with something like a dsPIC30F3014 or a PIC24FJ32GA004.

They're both 16-bit with plenty of RAM and flash so there'll be room for bitmaps if you go for a graphic LCD. The dsPIC is 2.5 - 5V so the interfacing will be easy and battery operation is made simpler by the wide voltage range. The 24F PIC is 3.3V only but the remappable pins make the PCB layout so easy it's worth the trouble.

Dave.

Reply to
David Jordan