Advanced Hobbyist Wanted for Casual Design Work

This will probably get slammed by the "pro's", but I know there are subscribers here who are not in the trade, but have sufficient ability to do design and prototyping. I sort of know who some might be already.

If you are in this category and are interested in occasional paid work, please respond here with contact details. Then we can go off-list to discuss particulars.

The projects may involve both analog and digital techniques as well as PIC programming. They are not complex by today's standards, or commercial in nature, so IMO paying for a professional service would be overkill.

I have worked on this basis successfully before, and know enough to communicate accurately regarding design criteria, etc.

I should also mention these projects relate primarily to my hobby which is geomagnetic monitoring. I simply do not have enough time to enjoy it and do designing as well.

If anyone can suggest a better venue to post this notice, please let me know.

Paul Nielsen

Reply to
Paul Nielsen

You might get more replies if you had left _your_ contact info such that those not directly in the trade could contact you privately. So that we don't get slammed by the "pros" along with you...;)

I'll fall on my sword for this one. The rest of you not-pros owe me

Reply to
bitrex

And to anybody who fits that description, don't charge less per hour than your auto mechanic.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

_I'm_ my auto mechanic!

Reply to
bitrex

Careful, you might collapse into an event horizon.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Geomagnetic monitoring! What do you use? (how much $ do you have?) I could sell bits of our optical pumping apparatus.

It's exquisitely sensitive to local fields. With a bit fast photodiode the whole thing can be frequency locked to the local field. (I've not actually done that, but I've read several papers.) George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Flux gates are cheap and get down to nanoTeslas or something.

NMR works at earth's field levels, literally just a few KHz. 4 KHz per gauss for the hydrogen resonance, something like that.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I was optomistic that anyone who has spare time to read this newsgroup might want to turn it into a few dollars instead.

But then maybe no one is game to admit in public they are not a $200 per hour pro.

Paul Nielsen

Reply to
Paul Nielsen

No, it is just that not everyone checks for new posts all that frequently. I am happy to be on your list of potential contractors. Send me an example of the kind of problem you want solving.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Yeah NMR is using the proton nuclear magnetic moment. The signals are weak 'cause you have to polarize the moments with a strong B field first.

With Rubidium you are using electron spin resonance. (Electron magnetic moment is ~ 1000 times bigger than the proton so the frequencies are up near 1 MHz.) And the system becomes polarized optically with some significant fraction of the electrons polarized... (~1-5% or so.. depending) The detection is also optical... big gains all around.

I'm not sure how it compares to a flux gate.

George H.

(Lots of hits on goolge if you search for Rubidium magnetometer.)

Reply to
George Herold

I don't know about that. I do know that a lot of young folks undervalue their labour. (And if your mechanic makes $200 per hour, you must drive a Tesla.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You can buy a PCB flux gate sensor for something silly like $20, tons of resolution for the local earth field. Watch elevators and busses push the field around. picoT per root Hz stuff.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yeah we bought one from "Fat quarters"? But now it looks like they only sell kits.

The sensor was from the UK... here.

(Not a whole lot of product on that web site.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

here some independent guy in a garage mights be $50/hour, but an autorised VW dealer is closer to $150

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I don't know that I'm exactly your desired person, but being located in north-west my current rate is only a buck a minute, when I have time. I'm without a doubt better at prototyping than design.

Ecnerwal

Nah, you're cheap and you're stating so up front, and you seem to know what you need. What pisses off the "pros" (or at least _this_ professional) is when someone comes on who doesn't have a clue, asks for something that's going to take an expert half a man-year to do correctly, and then gets all bent out of shape because the experts want to be paid for half an expert-year to do the job.

I'm out of your price and expertise range, but I wish you the best of luck.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I do not know if this would work or not. But you might look at some issues of " Nuts and Volts " magazine. And see if any of the authors seem to hav e the skills to help you. Some money from you, and letting them publish an article on geomagnetic monitoring and the monitor built, might be sufficie nt motivation.

Or doing some searches on " Geomagnetic monitoring diy " might find someon e you could collaborate with.

For example

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I was a pro until I got too old. E-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org . I may be able to do the sort of stuff you want. Mixed signal I can manage. PIC pr ogramming I can probably manage - MACRO-8 for a PDP-8 is rather different, but if you can do one assembly language, others aren't all that difficult ( or at least not the ones I've looked at).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney (but in London, UK at the moment)
Reply to

Yikes! Most dealers are in the $65/hr range. I knew there was a reason to not even look at buying a VW.

Reply to
krw

Umm, ASE certified mechanics, well auto techs, make more than that.

If they got a good job that is. In fact they used to be paid book time whic h means if they can get a job done ion half the time they make twice the mo ney per hour. From what I was told, the unions came in and f***ed that all up.

You can do an Ecotec timing chain and intake valves in about three hours if you hacve all the right tools and are familiar with the job, and you cna c harge about $1,000 for it. You will have about $150 into the timing set and about $100 into new intake valves.

That is $250 per hour.

I have doen jobs so fast on bigscreens that I told them DO NOT call the cus tomer. Why ? Because the thing has only been here an hour and the bill is $

300. They don't care about parts and they don't care about all the jobs you did and lost money on to finally be able to do it efficiently. they do not ccare about the thousands spent on seninars from the factory and the train ing and books n shit it takes to even be able to do WHAT THEY CANNOT DO. Th ey want you to make minimum wage and the shop to make nothing.
Reply to
jurb6006