ADS8344 and HCS12

(*HOW*) can I connect the A/D converter ADS8344 (16-bit out) to the SPI module of the MC9S12C32 (ChipS12 / HCS12)?

It appears quite illogical to me that a 16-bit signal can be acceppted and understood by an 8-bit SPI modul, but I am still hoping I got something wrong, there is a misunderstanding or even better some trick to get around this problem? After all this =B5C is a 16-bit controller... ?!

I am very thankful for any constructive suggestion what-so-ever!

Reply to
1122

Can't you simply recieve/transmit two 8-bit chunks? I used a 12-bit D/A converter once with a micro providing an 8-bit SPI. The D/A actually required 16 bits, so I sent out two 8-bit loads.

Reply to
hondgm

But how do I tell my A/D converter to send only 8 bit?

Reply to
1122

You don't. SPI is clocked by the master. You clock 8 bits, and then another 8 bits. The slave doesn't care a 'jot' if there is a slight pause between bit 8 and 9. It is common practice (most if not all SPI master implementations are 8 bit), and works fine.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

for the OP :

don't toggle chip select between the two octets ( bytes )

Reply to
mmm