AD620 (instrument amp.) input current

An AD620, I've got 1 k ohm in the input lead (v-). When the output voltage rails, I find that the input is drawing 'significant' current (a few mA.) I can change the amount of current by changing the 'gain' resistor. And also the voltage difference on the input... the larger the difference the larger the current. At highest gains (1k) (lowest R_g = 50 ohm)) the current is the highest. (~mA) The sign of the current depends on the sign of the output voltage. Is this behavior expected? I've read the spec sheet again, (quickly) and find no mention of this. I'll freely admit I don't really understand the input of this IC.

I replaced the IC thinking I might have fried the input somehow, but no change. And in 'normal' operation it works just fine.

V_supply is +/- 15V V_input ranges from 0 to 10V on each input.

I'm going to get my white proto board out and play on the bench with only the AD620.

Any thoughts?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

OK I guess I just need to drive the inputs with a stiff source.

GH

Reply to
George Herold

Fig 36 of the data sheet suggests that, once the feedback loop rails, the transistor BE junctions, or the paralleled protection diodes, will conduct hard. Then you'll see roughly 800 ohms + Rg plus a couple of diode drops between input pins.

Lots of diffamps and conventional opamps draw lots of input current when they run open-loop. Back-to-back diodes between the inputs are common, to protect the front-end bipolars from zener damage.

I've even seen a comparator with antiparallel diodes between the inputs! Guess who would be dumb enough to do that. Starts with "M".

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

So when the output rails the data is useless (other than knowing what direction it railed), right? And when the signal is within range again, the output works properly, right? So You're good to go.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Precision Op-Amp situations usually try to avoid output saturation and inpu ts going too close to the rails. Even though the specifications may say th is is permissible, the ultimate performance will often be degraded. Satura ted output stages usually take time to recover, and this can be highly asym metrical depending if sourcing/sinking and loading. Input bias current is t rue only over the common-mode input range and differential maximum. Limit you input so that your op-amp does saturate and keep your inputs pre-biased within common-mode input range. Although some op-amp input structures may allow over-the-top rail and or under-the-bottom rail, there can be input p rotection diodes that come close to being forward biased. These situations might be possible, but there can be some reduced EMC immunity. It's impos sible to define every situation on a datasheet, so I would encourage you ac tually test your various candidate op-amps over the full range of condition s that you expect it to operate. The more you can "confine" the possible v ariables/combinations/ranges to test for, the easier it is to find an op-am p for a given application.

Reply to
Terry

Assuming it unsticks cleanly. If not, it seems as though you could have hys teresis there.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(who vividly remembers a long-ago outing with a FB loop containing two MC34

084 op amps in cascade [noninverting]--their commendably wide output swing exceeded their input CM range, and the whole works locked up.)
Reply to
pcdhobbs

No, I send that signal out as a set point (SP) monitor. Which is then wacko. Another opamp cures the problem.

The 1 k ohm resistor is there because I wanted a voltage limit on the SP. I used Speff's circuit, (I can't spell sphero, unless I look it up.) to make sure the SP stayed above ~1V, |\

---Vref=1V----|+\ | >--+ +--|-/ | | |/ | +--K------+ | diode, I hope the right way. R1 (10 ohms, may not be needed.) | +---> in(-) AD620 | +--> to SP monitor | R2 1k ohm | SP in-----+ from opamp (opa2134)

Some better/other way to clamp a voltage? I could put the SP monitor on the other side of the

1 k ohm resistor (R2) but then you wouldn't see the voltage clamp.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Right, is that the one with integrator opamps feeding the diff pair? (I didn't understand the intergator's.... are the pseudo-inductors?) But once the output railed it took about 2V (differential) for me to start seeing current flow.

Reply to
George Herold

[...]

Thanks Terry, I make stuff to sell to physics students. They will explore the entire parameter space, I often only find the edges of my design during testing.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

ysteresis there.

34084 op amps in cascade [noninverting]--their commendably wide output swin g exceeded their input CM range, and the whole works locked up.)

Another int amp (classic 3-opamp) would fix it too. (I think) I use the AD620 lots, it survives my abuses. It's not all that quiet.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

[...]

Graduate students are worse. They will "improve" the design.

You aren't paranoid enough.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to