Activate PIR xmtr

Suggestions please.

Taking a driveway PIR xmtr to modify for other purposes with no actual internal mods.

Thinking of using some emitter taped to the PIR window to activate the xmtr.

Something as simple as a blinking LED to keep the xmtr transmitting while the LED is blinking.

Using one of these. 4VWIN Wireless Home Security Driveway Alarm

or Harbor Freight Home Security Driveway Alarm

Suggestions please. Switch State Open - LED off and no PIR activation Closed - LED blinks to maintain PIR activation.

Option 1: blinking LED and switch and battery.

Option 2: 555 timer, LED, switch and battery.

Or ???

What is needed to activate the PIR. LED color or type ?

Receiver will just be the reeiver's flashing LED with the audio function disabled. I think it is a transducer that I can either smother or cut out of the circuit if it is not part of the receiver function.

What do you think?

Reply to
OGER

You parachute in here with an unknown nym and keep asking for help with this super-sketchy-sounding project. Alarm bells go off all round--IED, booby trap, legitimate application, or what?

Plausible details about your project and yourself, please--otherwise no help from me, for one.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

It's a sad state of affairs we have today with this 'presumption of ill- intent' on the part of group towards outsiders seeking help. It never used to be this way. :(

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

If he were asking for advice on a crystal set, a MCU, or a TIA, there would be no such issue.

If he were more forthcoming about himself and his application, even a motion-detector might pass muster. But as things are, no way, oh-jay.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

changing thermal infrared small 100 ohm resistor fed by 1Hz 5V square wave

--
     ?
Reply to

Active Passive? PIRs don't transmit.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

,

I don't presume guilt. I don't presume innocence either. Reality is there a re people building IEDs and more that want to. I want no part of enabling t hem to do it. FWIW this comes across more like a crude way to defeat securi ty systems, which might be for similar purposes, or regular crime or organi sed crime. Either way the OP can forget it.

There are a veritable bunch of red flags in the OP. I hope it's just some k id with too much time on their hands, but it could just as well be somethin g else entirely.

There is also law against providing dual use technology to foreign countrie s, and while some here might not be aware of it I don't think the authoriti es would in any way take kindly to providing people with info enabling them to kill. I wouldn't help even if the name & project sounded plausible, tho se prove nothing.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

When looking for the LED, what description do I look for ? I have never seen anything called a thermal LED. DigiKey have them. Their on-line catalog is impossible to find anything especially LEDs. Any part number for me ?

I am trying to build a garage door monitor. My new garage door opener does not have a lock function like my previous so I need a way to monitor the door state in my house,

The driveway monitor is almost all I need and if I had a schematic I could modify it internally. Looking at the circuit board does not give enough info.

Jasen Betts wrote: > On 2018-09-23, OGER wrote: >> Suggestions please. >> >> Taking a driveway PIR xmtr to modify for other purposes with no actual >> internal mods. > > >> What is needed to activate the PIR. LED color or type ? > > changing thermal infrared > small 100 ohm resistor fed by 1Hz 5V square wave >

Jasen Betts wrote:

Reply to
OGER

You could pick off a signal from the down limit switch to drive a transmitter or direct wire to a led inside the home or whatever.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

you need a heat emitter, not a light emitter, use a small heat source, like a small lamp or a resistor

an LM555 powered by 5V blinking a 0.3W 6V lamp would probably do the trick

digikey part number CM756-ND is a 14V lamp but using lower voltage will make it last longer and produce more infrared than a 5V lamp

Wire the 555 discharge and output pins in parallel, this lamp is borderline max load for a 555 so combining the two outputs will help..

----+-----------------+-- +5V 1Meg | | +-[R1]--------|--------+--(@)---+ | | | | +--------+ | lamp | | | | | | . . . .|. . . . | | | . VCC(8) . | | | . . | | +--RES(4) OUT(3)--+ | . LM555 . | +-------TH(6) DIS(7)--+ | . . +-------TR(2) CV(5)-----+ 1uF | . . | ===== . GND(1) . | | . . . .|. . . . ===== 100nf | | | +-------------+ | | | +-----------+ | ---+-- 0V

run frequency is about 1.4Hz

--
Bye.
   Jasen
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jasen Betts

I must be missing something. Why do you need the PIR to achieve that objective?

In my burglar alarm wiring loop I included an improvised microswitch toggled by the state of the garage door.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Because it is there ! The least mod to the driveway monitor is desired. That way if in the future the PIR xmtr fails I can simply replace it or the receiver if it fails.

So making the PIR detect something and activating the transmitter so the receiver will flash as it normally would.

Terry P>

Reply to
OGER

I'm obviously missing something. Why do you need the PIR to achieve that?

In my burglar alarm wiring loop I included an improvised microswitch mechanically toggled by the state of the garage door.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

AIUI it's because the PIR has the radio transmitter and there no wire to hook into.

--
     ?
Reply to

The why did you post that you needed a schematic?

Reply to
John S

none of it adds up. He just wants to know how to render security PIRs unusable.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that the useful options for "door state" must be either Fully or partially Open OR Closed? A microswitch fixed carefully at the Closed position would therefore determine one of those two states.

Or is there perhaps another state, Closed and Locked, that must be determined?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

I did not realize that this is a conspiracy theory newsgroup.

A bunch of idiots reside here !

OGER wrote:

Reply to
OGER

Obviuosly so I could see if I could remove the PIR detector and substitute a mercury switch for garage door tilt up.

Modify the receiver to elim> >> Suggestions please.

Reply to
OGER

That was never mentioned until now. How could it be obvious? I'm thinking you are a troll.

*plonk*
Reply to
John S