Acoustic "tractor beam"

I see that Goldmine has $0.99 40KHz transducers (until midnight.) Their "receiver" title just means that the freq is not matched to transceiver transducers. Time to try that ultrasound levitator with the "suction" feature. Need 24 transducers, two opposite-phase banks of 12 (with five having lagged phase.)

Arduino certainly not needed: try a quadrature drive, perhaps with adj. resonant series inductors to give a better match to low-z amplifier outputs.

Only problem is: the hemispherical support almost certainly requires a 2N/40KHz radius for standing waves. 3D print, or epoxy fiberglas on a sphere of the right dia.

No phase-array, so no moving your styro beads in three dimensions.

Heh, paint your styro bead black, for hoaxing a room-temp superconductor demo.

(((((((((((((((( ( ( ( ( (O) ) ) ) ) )))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty

beaty, chem washington edu Research Engineer billb, amasci com UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74 x3-6195 Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700

Reply to
Bill Beaty

Vanta black...

Ooops... nothing gets out.

Reply to
Long Hair

Look at the video right at the 20 second mark.

Still shots... folks swear the picture was photoshoped, but photoshop doesn't even go that black (hehehe).

stills: (google images)

Long Hair

Paint THESE styrofoam beads black like magnets:

sonic lev glove

physics girl

The Instructables version:

(More stable: buy 2x more transducers, build two bowls, aim them at each other.)

I don't know if Goldmine has piles of these 40KHz transducers. I got my fifty.

beaty, chem washington edu Research Engineer billb, amasci com UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74 x3-6195 Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700

Reply to
Bill Beaty

The creator of those gave us a talk and let us play with them at a local pub last month. Fun, but I'm not sure I can be bothered to make one.

Reply to
Tom Gardner