AC Voltage Regulators

In my country, I took part in design and construction of Auto Transformer AC Voltage Regulators with automatic control of tap changing with electromechanical relays.

Since my country is less developing country in Electrical and Electronics product development, I would like to know if these Electromechanical Relay Type-Automativ AC Voltage Regulators with Auto Transformers are obselete or not.

Are they still required for certain applications?

If it is not useful anymore, I would study solid-state-relay-auto-transformer type regulators, and PWM control type, Servo motor control type AC regulator designs!

More over I would like to know how to study and analyze relay connection scheme for such regulators. ( I mean we use up to five SPDT relays to change six different tapping for auto-transformer to provide six different turn ratios, one step down, five step up between the ac input and output. I would like to study different combinations of relay contact points to provide a good voltage regulation scheme)

Reply to
Myauk

They also make electro-mechanical ones that don't use relays. These may be a better thing for you to think about. Imagine an object that looks mechanically like an AC motor.

The stator is much as you would expect in the AC motor.

The rotor has a winding on it that is only part of the secondary turns.

If you imagine the stator and rotor windings connected in series, you will see how turning the shaft will vary the turns ratio from less than 1:1 to more than 1:1.

To remove the leakage inductance, a heavy copper strap is used to act as a shorted turn to the leakage.

Ones like these are still in use here and there in China. They are extremely robust but they don't remove sudden pulses of power. They are still worth knowing about because the theory they work on may be adapted to something more modern.

All such devices make matters worse for others. When the mains voltage is low, they draw more current and when it goes high they draw less current. This makes the variations worse. For this reason, they con only be used on a small fraction of the loads if you want the power system to be stable.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Sola "Adjust-A-Volt"

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Reply to
Myauk

AFAIK they are still used for electrical distribution systems.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

The relay system you describe would appear to me capable of only producing step-incremental voltage changes, - not what I would term a "good voltage regulation scheme".

High power systems which I saw used around the 1970's, employed motor driven variacs which produced a much smoother response than relay switched schemes.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

20+ yrs ago they used a motor driven system in the front end of telecommunications rectifiers (mains AC --> 48Vdc) for regulation. Perhaps someone remembers more about them than me?
Reply to
Borat

That's exactly the units I was referring to (at Pier Exchange in Perth) but it was a lot earlier than the 80's. Several 48Vdc/1000A rectifiers for battery charging.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

One good example of such a system is the GE Inductrol, which we used with great success 35 years ago, and is still available.

John Perry

Reply to
John Perry

I've seen my share of CVTs, however I only once ever worked on a system with a magnetic amplifier and I don't know anyone else who has.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

This is not a magnetic amplifier. This is a variable transformer similar to what was described in my attribution, which you deleted.

The variable transformer adds a controllable small AC voltage to the line voltage, with consequent smooth sine wave output.

Magnetic amplifier operation is very similar in operation to an SCR power controller. In an SCR controller, the control signal causes the semiconductor to be an open circuit until conditions cause it to switch to a low resistance, with consequent waveform chopping. In a magnetic amplifier, the control signal causes the inductor to be a high reactance until conditions cause the core to saturate, switching to a low reactance, with consequent waveform chopping.

jp

Reply to
John Perry

It was just an observation.

But isn't this basically a CVT?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Unfortunately, I can't because it is something I saw in the real world.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

I have, but they are pretty rare.