AC fan speed control by periodic on/off switching

I have a fan (110 V AC) that I want to control the speed of.

I want to do this by periodically switching it on/off. Say, period of about 5 seconds; and the 'on' period can be controlled as 10-100% of this time. I already have a fan that has this built in, and it works great, silent too. Basically it's variable pulse width control of an AC appliance.

I probably need a thyristor / triac circuit for this, switching on the null-crossings. Would be nice if the period time could also be variable.

Searches on Google failed because I don't know what keywords to look for. Can someone help me out?

Thanks, E.

Reply to
ectoplasm

Should be able to cook something up with a solid state zero crossing switching relay and a simple op amp based pulse width modulator. you could also use the ever-popular dual 555 to generate the PWM waveform and power can come from the mains via a dropper resistor/rectifier/zener regulator arrangement. Safety first; plastic enclosure, plastic shaft on control potentiometer, plastic mains switch housing and operating lever. Proper cord anchorages (get the proper clamping grommets for this). Build it in the fan housing if you can to save some trouble. Five seconds for the switching cycle seems a bit long; a couple of seconds would reduce hunting. Watch for overheating of the fan motor.

Reply to
Roger_Nickel

Integral cycle control. Triac drivers wwith this feature are available.

Reply to
GPG

ep,

the idea for speed control is good. However, instead of crating a few cycles of 120 60 hz and then a few off and aFEW ON ETC,, CONSIDER THE WAY THAT LIGHT DIMING IS PERFORMED... in this case each 1/2 cyle of the

60 hv power is allowed to fow of 180 degrees (full speed, or 90 degress 1/2 speed etc.)

marc

Reply to
LVMarc

I would like to get power from the mains, yes. What do you mean by 'rectifier', by the way?

To get a low voltage DC supply from the mains, more must be needed than just only a resistor + zener diode, right? Could you elaborate?

Thanks.

Reply to
ectoplasm

I found a triac driver, the MOC3041, a 6 pin DIP. It has a zero crossing circuit, LED optocoupling. I can use this one; I'll need to have an extra triac that does the main switching.

But you say there are triac drivers that have integral cycle control BUILT IN. Could you tell a model number? I couldn't find it in Google. Are there any online searchable electronics parts catalogs?

Thanks !

Reply to
ectoplasm

You'd do better with a cycle control system using full cycles.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

--
If you could settle for an on and off (both variable) period of 255
seconds or less it can be done with a single 8 bit down counter, a

And a power supply of some kind. Since it\'s not going to be
dissipating much power, something using a capacitor straight off the
mains, a rectifier and a Zener ought to work fine if you can stand a
non-isolated supply.

Want a schematic?
Reply to
John Fields

There is something that I have wanted to try out for quite a while. It is a variation on dropping cycles that I think would lead to lower losses in the motor. I will explain it and others can shoot it down if I am wrong.

To decrease the operating speed of an induction motor, it is best to lower both its voltage and frequency. A device like a triac can be fired to allow an alternation through or not.

The triac it fired on the positive alternation. The negative alternation is skipped The positive alternation is skipped The triac is fired on the negative alternation The positive alternation is skipped The negative alternation is skipped ... repeat

This lowers the frequency to 1/3rd that of the mains frequency.

The RMS voltage on the motor would be 1/sqrt(3) of the normal line voltage. However, the frequency content will be a bit funny. If I did my math right, only 0.4 of that will be at F/3.

Reply to
MooseFET

Use a light dimmer.

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

Nah. LVMarc also suggested it. Not so good to cut up the phase (HF, net pollution, might have bad effect on motor). See also Rich Grise's reply.

Reply to
ectoplasm

If you could provide one, sure, thanks.

Reply to
ectoplasm

Found this webpage titled "PWM Fan Controllers":

Then it talks about using the 555 chip:

Exactly what I need! I can use a circuit from this webpage (best for me would be the double 555 solution) to trigger the MOC3041 triac driver, which in turn would drive the main triac...

Reply to
ectoplasm

Don't they aren't good for fans. they make triac based speed controllers, use one of them.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

--
OK. Since Google Groups doesn\'t do binaries I\'ll email it to you
tomorrow and I\'ll also post a copy to abse for anyone else who might

--
Yes. A better solution than mine if you don\'t need to count
individual cycles, so I won\'t waste my time designing and posting

They are asymmetrical - output some DC.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

OK. And if later I have a working solution I'll post it. Thanks for your offer for the schematic!

Reply to
ectoplasm

[s]

We used to have an electric cooker where the heating elements was controlled like that..... Bursts of full sinewaves separated by gaps.

Try the keywords "burst control heater" as a starting point. You might even be lucky and find a complete knob-controlled module that does it.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

This will instantly destroy any fan based on a conventional inductin motor. Only motors with brushes can be controlled by a lamp dimmer. However, the lack of speed feedback will cause major problems.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster