about usb interfacing

hey guys!! plz i need ur help. i want to design a simple device that consists of 3 input buttons and then interface it to the USB port on my pc. i have no past experience about microcontrollers or interfacing. please guide me with the 1st step on my road. ur help would be so much appreciated coz i need that urgently.

Reply to
Dr. Click

see if you can understand this

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

a typical USB mouse has more than three buttons

if you really want to build it yourself an AVR ATTiny2313 running the Igor-Plug (or AVRUSB) software (this is software USB) would be one option

otherwise you could use a more expensive microcontroller with a built-in usb interface...

or even a USB-to-serial chip will give you 4 inputs, (5 if you count break) but you'd need software to make them act like buttons.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen

I'm on the same road as you, I started learning about using USB with microcontrollers. The microcontroller that I have chosen is the Freescale MC68HC908JB8, and using the universal HID (human interface device) USB drivers.

Notable information on the JB8:

-In circuit programability

-FLASH memory (no need for an expensive programmer)

-Onboard USB

-Many versitle I/O pins

-Free samples from freescale

-Free compiler (CodeWarior)

-Well documented

-Available in PDIP and SOIC

Hope this helps

Reply to
circle_of_stings

Unfortunately, USB is a steep learning curve. (I can recommend a couple books.) There is some interfacing hardware (chips) out there to make it a little easier, but your product cost go up.

And if you do it mostly with software, it will be cheap, but the learning curve will be even worse.

Reply to
mpm

How hard can it be?? There's the universal... The serial.. And the bus.... :) D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

They conveniently left out the part about "enumeration".... :)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

I totaly agree, I've been at it for over a year, reading books and magazines, and reading the PDFs of the USB standards, and its alot to digest. If you are looking for fast and cheap, get an USB to RS232 converter, and stick to serial. If you are looking for a great and versitile interface, then please continue to learn about USB, but depending on your electronics background, its not going to be overnight.

If you would like, I'll try to find the magazine articles that I read to get me started.

Reply to
homermandoh