Aargh! Inductor Coupling Question...

The Art of Electronics is a text-book evolved to teach physicists enough el ectronics to let them understand the instruments they use.

It doesn't include the transformer equation. If a freshman physics textbook does, it won't be embedded in enough electronics to make the idea remotely useful. Final year secondary students can understand the relativity equati ons. The fact that a magnetic field is a consequence of Lorentz contraction won't strike them until they get a little further into the subject.

That's fine. You won't have done so.

Sure, but I couldn't post it here and expect to see it read.

This is about creating threads that end up in useful places, rather than po sting a giant slab of stuff that might be useful

Jim couldn't - he kill-filed me years ago.

Why would I indulgence you with anything quite so irrelevant? That kind of transformer sells off the shelf from broad-line distributors.

The voltage makes it clear that you are talking about driving it with 50/60 Hz mains. 400Hz parts for aircraft use wouldn't be all that different.

The coupling factor in that kind of design is between 0.99 and almost 1, an d usually doesn't matter. M is the geometric mean of L1 and L2 less a usual ly inconsequential sliver.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

False alarm!

I had designed a quite robust system that would pass data properly at several inches with face-to-face poles.

Simulation showed the circuit working down to ridiculously low coupling coefficients... like 0.2m !!

I had asked the customer to verify all components on the PCB as well as diode orientations and the carrier frequency.

Customer 'fessed up this morning that uP had changed the carrier frequency ;-)

(I suspected that, since customer said it was behaving strangely, he could see only a spike at beginning and end of a data pulse.)

uP's strike again >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature