A3 Laser Printer?

Any recommendations for a home use Laser printer that can handle A3 paper, that won't put me out in the poor house?

I really need to be able to print longer paper for schematics and prints at home. I normally use the printers at work that take care of this issue how ever, they are getting a little picky now with me using their printer for use, that is not directly related to their operation.

completely understandable of course.

something under the $1k mark would be nice.

Reply to
Jamie

They begrudge you a few sheets of paper now and then? Our employees are encouraged to use company supplies, media, parts, and machine shop for personal projects. It's an untaxed benefit.

Stupid and churlish, in my opinion.

We have a Laserjet 5100 PCL6 that we bought used, ebay I think. It makes very nice schematics, fast, on 11x17 paper and has been running without problems for several years now.

John

There are gobs of $150 laser printers out there that will print on A3 media.

In fact, it would be hard to find any that cannot.

Why would HP or anybody else shoot themselves in the foot on the worldwide market by making two printer models where one would suffice for both locations?

How do people working in a world full of devices made for man's use, manage to complicate things so damned easily.

There is nothing complicated about common sense.

If you ever find yourself wondering "why would they do that", you should suspect your own capacities first.

Reply to
Mycelium

On a sunny day (Sat, 12 Sep 2009 09:09:22 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

How about an A3 plotter?

Canon Pixma iX5000 InkJet Plotter PrinterConsumer Rating: Be the first one to write a review on this product Information: Product details | Product accessories Price Range: £230.00 - £516.00 at 17 stores Manufacturer: Canon

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I think you are confusing A3 with A4!

Reply to
Mike Harrison

All lasers that do 11x17 are Workgroup stuff and are $1k or more.

Inkjets that do 11x17 are relatively cheap and less than a LaserJet.

Martin Riddle

If it comes down to it, I'll through in the major cash and get a refurbished unit.. I've have seen some now for just under the $1k mark that seem to do what I need but I really don't know how good they are!

Yes, my employer (boss), is being a little nervous now. I think his evaluation period is coming up and he's trying to look good. That means being a prick on top of that. I know i'll blow over, but I don't like the inconvenience since he knows that I do a lot of work out side the place that isn't related to the day job!.

Reply to
Jamie

Really, I haven't found an economical laser, mono, unit that does? Most i've seen do A4 and envelopes.

I must be blind!.

Reply to
Jamie

first one to write a review on this product

Hmm, I never thought of a plotter.

I'll have to look into that! I don't need speed in this case! thanks..

Reply to
Jamie

Ok, well I want to say with laser, I've see a couple now on the net for just under $1k. We maybe looking into that.

Some one here suggested a plotter and I thought at first, it would be a good idea how ever, I don't i'll have good luck moving the existing prints I have over to it. I need be able to move new prints and existing on top if prints from PDF file.

Lately, I have been requested to supply most documentation in PDF instead of CAD formats.

Know how the plotter works, I just don't see how it will work efficiently doing raster images.

Reply to
Jamie

If you can settle for an inkjet, I think you'll find more choices there.

Inkjet is fine for this. You can use photo paper (OK they don't exactly give this stuff away at 11x17 sizes) and the results are very crisp.

Worst case, send your files to your local Staples/Kinkos/whatever office supply store and they'll print it for you.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Get a second hand HP Laserjet (preferably with a network interface). These are quite cheap. Cartridges can be bought quite cheap as well.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Inkjets are rubbish and the ink is very expensive. A HP laser print will beat any inkjet hands down if it comes to sharp black & white printing.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

That may be true of rubbish ink jet printers, but good ones are hard to beat. Kodak makes some pretty impressive ink jet printers. Some that make xerographic printers look sick, by comparison. Until our IT folks "fixed" it, our HP Design Jet was a pretty nice large format printer, as well.

Reply to
krw

How about that one ?

Reply to
Jamie

Maybe the OP printed out the OED, unabridged?

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

With crappy $100 ink jet printers, perhaps. Professional/industrial ink jets are *very* impressive beasts.

Whatever that means.

Reply to
krw

We have found that ink jet inks, bleed, over time when humidity condition are present. The conditions not need to be severe.

With small detail objects and letters, you lose legibility.

One needs to have enlarged areas when using Ink jet for such things.

Reply to
Jamie

My deskjet does A3.

If it can do tabloid, it can typically handle A3. Pretty much universal truth.

Any printer maker that made a form factor transport and print engine that big that would fail to include media sizes that fell within the ability of the print engine would be shooting themselves in the head, much less the foot. Why go through the trouble to make two different models for the same task?

Reply to
Mycelium

s.

You should be aware that most ink-jets use water-based inks, and as a thermal printing head to boil the water to spit the ink onto the paper.

Epson use a piezo-electric printing head and alcohol-based inks - the two approaches give more or less the same visual result, but the inks are rather different.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman