A useful instrument to have

On a sunny day (Mon, 25 Sep 2017 17:18:37 GMT) it happened Steve Wilson wrote in :

You keep moving the goal poles.

1) why use somebody else's 'random' if you are already so good at shuffling decks? In Linux you can do cat /dev/random and it will output reasonably random bytes depending on system activity (try typing something in an other terminal at the same time).

2) If you are not afraid of anything then why encrypt?

3) Let's say I own the website you download the 'random data' from. Now for me it is nnnn long bit string. You take sections from it and shuffle and patch and mix. How long do you think it takes to do a bit compare to find your sections if you only changed ONE bit? Probably no longer than a few seconds. You are thinking way to much in 'characters'. I could also insert interesting sequences in it ;-) It is just silly. Refer your proposal to sci.crypt, maybe there are enough profies left there to point out potential problems.

If you just wanna bee right... wrong adress.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

You are making this into a much bigger problam than it deserves.

I assign the password and username for each site.

Unlike most people who try to use a combination of words, I use a string of characters.

I get the starting string from Gibson. Then I change it.

You don't know the changes I make.

There is no way you or anyone else on the planet can figure out my password.

All the banks care is if I am at the same location with the same computer. It is easy for them to tell.

Once they know this, all they need is my username and password. I can use anything I want for these variables. If they have any questions, they can ask a series of challenge questions. Instead of legitimate word answers, I set the answers to a random string. Nobody knows the string.

Some sites use 2FA authorization, such as Gemini for Bitcoin logon. They use

This is ok, but I think my banks are more secure since Authy is only a single pass authorization. My banks use two vaiables and three if needed, plus locaation and computer ID.

I am the only one who knows those variables, and the only one at this location with this computer.

In addition, I run several vm's in virtualbox. The banking vm is the only one that knows the passwords and usernames. It has no email, so it can't be phished. It has no LAN so it is immune to ransomware. It cannot go anywhere except to the financial site. I use a secure password manager. The risk of infection is very low.

I shudder at people to use tap-to-pay on their credit cards, and do their banking on cellphones.

I have a lot more safeguards than I discuss here. I think I am pretty safe, but I keep a careful watch anyway.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Okay, Jan. Here is an password in ASCII format:

e,1tBK;$[3kFg3u_6DpT6U>'oK>f!0.&|8Ua"SN?pXP;a&/}Hwc-Vm7^e]$6C`R

I will change one bit. Please tell me which one and where it is.

Reply to
John S

Looks like the workbench was about 25C, and the ceiling of my office was about 26.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On a sunny day (Mon, 25 Sep 2017 11:46:42 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Measured it again, fingers now 34 back hand 33.something Ceiling 20, worktable 22, room 21. laptop screen 25, laptop keyboard 34, coffee 21 (cold), measured cooking plate in kitchen was out of range then later 340 or something. This is a VERY cool thing. cable modem 38 Also measured hot water just not boiling was 91 C, so transparent make no difference. Maybe later I will measure the cold finger of cryo-cooler, see how low it goes, it is specced from -50 to +330 C Fridge freezer compartment -26.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

If your water heater gives 91 C, it is way too hot.

You have to mix it with cold water to take a shower. This costs you money. Why heat it, then cool it down to use.

You need to bring the temperature down. 125F to 135F.

The water heater and refrigerator probably use the most energy in your house. They are very expensive.

Here in Ontario, we have three levels of enegy cost.

7 pm to 7 am is the least expensive.

7 am to 11 am, and 5 pm to 7 pm is the most expensive.

11 am to 5 pm is moderate cost.

The difference is 8 cents per kwh vs 18 cents per kwh.

Take your shower and do your laundry at night.

Many people have seen dramatic reduction in their electric bills when I told them these things.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Water and ice, both have emissivity almost 1.00. So mix some crushed ice into water in a thermos, shake well, and aim your IR into that. Set the gadget to E=1. Should indicate 0C.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Not necessarily. If the hot water is from a domestic coil, that's about right.

So you

1) store less hot water 2) don't breed Legionella 3) offset the drop from the heater to the head 4) can adjust for seasonal changes

And if you set you water heater that low you'll breed all sorts of nastiness in the tank, possibly killing your kids. Don't do it!

That's why I have a good job. I don't have to sweat the small things.

We have two levels of energy cost - about $.07/kWh in the Winter and

8.5 (IIRC) in the Summer, as long as we have electric heat (heat pump).

Shower in Winter only? I don't think so. ;-)

I saved a lot more than that (over $.10 per kWh) by moving South. ;-)

Reply to
krw

recommended temperature is 60-65'C, enough to kill bacteria, not hot enough to seriously burn you and and hotter increases deposits in the heater if you have hard water

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Agreed. 140F minimum. That's still way too hot to use without mixing.

Reply to
krw

On a sunny day (Mon, 25 Sep 2017 20:02:21 GMT) it happened Steve Wilson wrote in :

LOL you sure have a special neural configuration.

FYI I boil water in the microwave in a glass jar to make coffeee the old fashioned way with a filter on top of a thermos can. It is not efficient, but the easiest. I use Brasilian coffee beans I grind in an electric thingy.

The hot shower water here is generated by the same thing that does the central heating, natural gas powered, is stabilised set to some fixed point by a sensor, there is no storage tank.

I have day and night and a smart meter that is not smart.

I have double glazing, and with GlowBallWorming increasing every year because of my coffee making habits heating cost is less and less.

So to save 8 cents you work at night? ;-)

At night here the temperature is allowd to drop to 14 C, but it never does as the walls are double insulated too.

I fully expect the real fanatic green idiots to go live in a grass hut. But most people will complain of cold feet, and beg for more power.

I did just read one of your professors is starting an AI project over there...

AI is dangerous ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 25 Sep 2017 11:46:42 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Maybe later I will measure the cold finger of cryo-cooler, see how low it goes, it is specced from -50 to +330 C

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

...and his freezer is way too cold!

Cursitor Doom