A tool I am working on for people like you.

For those that have access to a FTP site for placing images I have a tool that I have been modifying from proprietary code that may help some of us here.

I find it hard at times to convey to readers that simply want to see something with out going through the pains of loading up spice, or what ever programs for a clean view of a schematic.

I know many of you already know how to get images to your FTP site for others to see, however, it is not always a simple click to do so. A number of steps are needed to perform this.

So what I am doing is stripping out some proprietary code from a program and adding specific code to it, just for this purpose.

As it stands now, I can auto upload schematics from various programs that are able to place a view of their work on the clipboard with a single operation of that program. In other words, what ever it takes for the program you use to get the image on the clip board, will trigger a auto upload to your site you have preselected with out you doing any more.

This will work exactly like a "Paste Bin" operation does, but it'll be for posting images of your work instead.

The app sits on your task bar out of the way and you can configure it to not auto upload right away if you wish, which will allow you to do other things to it if you need before it goes.

One of the items on the list, which has been a problem here is to be able to create a symbol type of text message where one can actually create a real calculus/algebra formula using all of the familiar symbols and post it as a simple image to your FTP site. The editing of this will most likely be in a RTL (Rich Text Format) editor where I can generate a image from that to be uploaded.

The uploads will have auto increment numbers and you should be able to back reference them locally on your PC.

The resulting upload will generate a text URL link that will be sitting on your clip board where you can simply paste it in a text base message board, like am now doing, for others to quickly click and see the link.

What are your thoughts on this so far?

P.S. I will soon start using this as an example, I don't care if no one wants to use it or not. It will at least give me some satisfaction :)

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

What's it coded in?

That's interesting. I use FireFTP, a google app, that's not bad: I can drag and drop a file into it, and it appears in my FTP folder.

For my cabin automation thing, I used PowerBasic for the data acquisition and control, and shell out to the Windows command-line "ftp ..." thing to do the actual file transfers. I could have done it all in PB, but shelling was simpler.

You could probably do an all-batch-file thing to post the clipboard to an ftp site. You could use Irfanview in command-line mode to get the clipboard into a jpeg file, and then use "ftp" to push it up.

--
John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc
 Click to see the full signature

On a sunny day (Fri, 03 Feb 2012 21:38:46 -0500) it happened Jamie wrote in :

~ # ftp panteltje10 Connected to panteltje10.

220 ProFTPD 1.3.3c Server (panteltje.com) Name: flip 331 login ok, send password Password: flop 230-panteltje.com ftp server running proftpd. 230 access granted Remote system type is UNIX. Using binary mode to transfer files. ftp> send laser_diode.gif local: laser_diode.gif remote: laser_diode.gif 200 PORT command successful
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

maybe I could do all of that however, that involves set up and not flexible for basic users.

All code needed for the complete operation are all in a single EXE file. As of yet, no DLL's, COM's, ACTIVEXEs ect. are required to be installed to make this work.

Code is done in Delphi (native land) and statically linked, which means no run times to be required. I hate RTL's that need to be installed just at get a simple app operating.

FTP code is also integrated into the file that does not use any of the know OS utilities or browser how ever, I was thinking of making a object link to the systems default browser in case one wants to view their web page via a browser instead.

This is an old compiler that I am using so it maybe possible for those that still have old 95/98 boxes operating out there, this app will most likely work on it. The only issue I see would be the installer.

From what I've read about "Inno" installer, it requires a OS of W2k min? or I may have miss read it.. But in either case, if it's an issue I do have a older installer that I know will work for those with old OSes.

After some testing of a couple of CAD apps, I find it maybe necessary to monitor a file folder and snag it from there, because they don't seem to support clip board operations compatible enough to do this freely.

As it stands, I am capturing BMP's or various versions and ENh Meta files from the clip board..

Uploads will be Jpg or PNG. (selectable).

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

FTP is not secure. Passwords are sent in clear text. You should really use winscp for windows. gftp or Linux, though there are other choices. They support SFTP.

The "sponsored" installer will trigger your antivirus or spyware.

I can't imagine any linux distribution without gftp. Well maybe ubuntu since it is targeted for newbies.

The project mentioned seems like a lot of work for a non-problem.

Reply to
miso

I don't care. My FTP site is anonymous, wide open.

--
John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc
 Click to see the full signature

Anonymous FTP is safe, it's the password access sites that cause trouble. I run an anon ftp server (back up now :) with no issues, though it's fun to read the logs detailing some 'bots repeated requests against the 'no password required' response!

Now I'm back to a more sane environment, I hope to tackle your ftp site again when you post an image.

I'd not anon allow uploads, that way you host all sorts of crap.

Scp or something for loading a remote server?

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

If it's not secure you're doing it wrong.

there's atleast 2 (incompatible) types of secure FTP

(that's not including SCP or SFTP, which fulfill a similar function but are not FTP.)

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

On a sunny day (Sun, 05 Feb 2012 19:19:49 -0800) it happened miso wrote in :

I use scp to my website, the whole syntax is only one line, not worth 'automating'', although I have a script that displays to me my unreadable password, so I can cut and paste it...

scp myfile user@host:/directory/

asks for a password, you can make it not ask for a password by installing the correct key, so your PC is a trusted source.

Simpler than that would be complicated,

I think if somebody can read your ftp password, then they are likely also able to access your site if hosted elsewhere, so encryption as protection in ftp makes little sense in my view. I use proftp, and never had a problem.

I think Ubuntu is not that much targeted at newbies, it is Debian based, and I have it one partition. It does try to imitate the ms virus a bit, but most things work, and the support seems OK. I have an older 32 bit version, the right libc, runs most things that no longer even compile in gcc version 4.5.2 in Slackware, which smells like rathead gcc libs, and breaks many things,. So I use Ubuntu as rescue disk so to speak.

This is BAD about Linux: video4linux is a disaster. Every new gcc breaks all old sources, if you have to port 300 or more programs written by somebody ELSE, you get 300 x 10 code fixes to do, I know, I just did it. And some in C++ and that is a crime against humanity. Sometimes you gamble, ported some game, and it gave a compile error in gcc 4.5.2 slack-where. I guessed the intent of the programmer and rewrote some hash thing, but was not sure, Played it for a while, so far it works. Linux is not for newbies, just like driving formula 1 cars is not for bikers:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Uploads require a password, but so far nobody has loaded any junk onto my site. No big deal, it's pretty much a throwaway anyhow.

For private stuff, I use Dropbox. It's really cool: it makes synchronized folders on the D: drive of all my computers, zero effort.

--
John Larkin, President       Highland Technology Inc
 Click to see the full signature

Locking down a FTP server so that it's hard to hack is a bit more involved, however. There are a couple of pretty secure ftpd daemons, of which I've only used vsftpd.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hmm, I didn't know this was going to cause a off sided thread like this.

My intent was not to suggest that people should log into FTP sites open to the world or ones that grant access more or less to who ever. My app simply allows the user to connect to their own web page via a FTP protocol but the content material would be accessible to the public via a generated URL link using a http protocol with no FTP requirements involved.

Basically, just supplying a read only link when transfer is complete. I don't see where this raises issues with security of FTP log ins?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Bad Guys can hack into many ftp servers and gain control of the machine. Not an issue if it's externally hosted, but a potential problem if you're running a server on your own machine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Plain old FTP is not secure. What part of clear-text do you not understand.

"FTP users may authenticate themselves using a clear-text sign-in protocol, normally in the form of a username and password, but can connect anonymously if the server is configured to allow it."

Reply to
miso

So don't use "Plain old FTP" most servers support TLS of some type.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

But we are talking about sites that allow anonymous access (like John Larkins). So it can be secure in principle if ftp is only used for downloads (no password). You can use another method like SCP for upload, can be as complicated as you like since the public don't need to do it.

--

John Devereux
Reply to