A solar cell is a photonic fuel cell

Random physics analogy of the day:

First, semiconductor PN junctions. They store charge under forward bias [current]. Under reverse bias, that charge gets sucked out the terminals, and then the voltage reverses.

Electrochemical cells. They store charge under forward bias. Under reverse bias, that charge gets sucked out the terminals, until the reactants are spent.

Both exhibit logarithmic V(Q) charge curves (well, give or take the variation in chemistry available in cells).

Both exhibit self-discharge. The cell discharges through leakage and slow reactions. The junction discharges through recombination (...leakage and slow reactions).

Suppose we shove charge carriers into a junction without using forward bias. Say by shining a light on the semiconductor (or bombarding it with nuclear radiation). Now voltage magically appears at the terminals, and although we can dynamically deplete the charge in the same way, there's a constant flow of it, so that even at zero DC voltage, it delivers a current.

Welllll, suppose we delivered a constant supply of reactants to the cell. It would be a... fuel... cell.

So there you have it folks, a solar cell is obviously a photonic fuel cell. And likewise, a PN junction is a very, very teensy, high speed battery.

And likelikewise, as I'm sure anyone who works with fuel cells must know, an MPPT can be used with them, just as they can with solar cells (though I would guess, since fuel is a controlled variable, it's not nearly as useful in that domain!).

It's left as An Exercise For The Student to calculate how many 2N3904s are needed to replace a AA cell... ;-)

(This would be a Sunday morning musing, except that it's a day late. So there. :^) )

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

If I recall correctly, Bob Pease pointed out a curious instance of this... something along the following lines. Take an NPN transistor (reported works best with an old-style metal-can variety), ground the base, feed the collector +5 through a 10k resistor, then measure the voltage at the emitter... it'll be around -0.6 volts. The forward-biased CB junction makes enough light (IR I assume) to illuminate the EB junction and create a few microamps of photocurrent.

Reply to
David Platt

Hi Tim

It is actually testable - with a bulb or the sun - with some 2N3055:

Make Solar Cell Transistor Powered Calculator using 2n3055:

-

You can even do CSP with 2N3055:

-

Even germans do it :-)

Solarzelle selbst bauen aus Transistorschrott:

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Mmm, it's the other way around: avalanche E-B (~7V), measure C-B.

Definitely not something you'll find in your SPICE simulator. :D

A 2N3055 with the top cut off glows barely visible at 1A avalanche. It's a kind of yellowy green. (About all a 2N3055 is good for. :^) )

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

I think "seventransistors" are all you are capable of... given your "dissertation" on EG of a Germanium transistor. ...Jim Thompson

Well f*ck you too. So I didn't look it up, so what?

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
Reply to
Tim Williams

Deep thoughts indeed.

--

Rick
Reply to

Now now boys, lets have a lollipop.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Oh, so instead of a bur under your saddle you have a lollipop up your ass?

Reply to
John S

A PV solar panel is also a Wireless Fusion receiving antenna.

Tesla's dream fulfilled ! Receives electromagnetic wireless energy from the fusion generator located a safe distance of 93 million miles away from the earth.

Very high tech actually !

boB K7IQ

Reply to
boB

Not mine, maybe yours. It seems to interest you very much.

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.