A shocking story.

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

An electrifying article ! (I couldn't resist)

What I do not understand about those things is how they are not shocking themselves. They are in a semi-conductive medium, but still when they touch something and discharge current there must be a voltage gradient across their skin.

Electric shock affects the nerves mainly, maybe they have no nerves in the top layers of their skin ?

Reply to
jurb6006

As far as I can make out, the eel is a long chemical battery. (hence the bending to apply maximum voltage across the prey.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

On 6 Jun 2016 13:01:40 -0700, Winfield Hill Gave us:

Up to 600V and enough to kill a horse.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yum. Unagi.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I don't see how they get the gradient in water.You can be charged with 500 volts but your whole body is at the 500 volt potential, there is no shock. You would have, as an eel of course, a much easier time in fresh water than salt water of course.

DAMIFINO

Reply to
jurb6006