A serious bargain in boat anchors

I have two mainframes and 15 heads already, or I'd buy it.

Cheap to a good home!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

-- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics

160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net

Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Sun, 20 Jul 2014 12:49:11 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

Jan Panteltje

Looks delicious! How I wish...

Reply to
John S

Only a month's beer budget. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I click here from rec.boats, I thought I didn't. Mikek

amdx

These are fabulous instruments, especially if you can score an SD-24 TDR head, too.

The SD-14, 3 GHz hi-Z sampling probes, are great and seem to be cheap and plentiful.

Precision electronic instrumentation

You must drink expensive beer! :^) I'm not sure I'm allowed to fly that 'scope with my low bandwidth licence. (I wish I had a reason.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'm actually more of a gin-and-tonic guy--I drink beer about once every six months.

For that price, who needs a reason?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

For those of us not having your spaceous digs SWMBO will need to hear some compelling reasons.

I am seriously tapped out when it comes to shelf space. Also bench space. It's so bad that I'll be in the garage part of today to make a contraption that allows me to mount one client's test bed vertically onto the side of a bench. A couple of years ago I was tempted to sell my network analyzer and the impedance analyzer because they are so huge and I don't need them as much as in the old days anymore. Sure enough, shortly afterwards I needed both. But some day it'll have to happen.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Build a barn!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That is what an antique radio afficionado in this area a long time ago did. No kidding. AFAIR the barn was huge and had a built-in lift. It seems money was not a concern with that project.

But, I am trying to become more minimalistic. The spectrum analyzer and its separate tracking generator are the size of three cigarette packs each and slide under my equipment rack. USB-driven, so the PC is their user interface.

Regarding samplers those could easily be done USB-style as well. I just designed one and it fits in less than a cigarette pack. Ok, single-diode but that was because it had to be very cheap and is not meant for the electronics lab.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I picked this up, and have been doing some maintenance on it. I've backed up the firmware ROM's, so if anyone wants copies let me know. Versions are (11801B):

Executive Processor 4.04 Display 4.00 Timbase/Controller 4.03 AcQ#1 9.02 AcQ#2 9.02

Reply to
JM

Things tend to rust when left in the barn. (and it's darn cold in there in the winter.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

When the time comes to replace the two NVRAM chips on the timebase board, here is the Mouser part number:

511-M48Z3570PC1

The existing rams are battery backed sockets with the power management control chip (Dallas device). You can remove the ram chip to see the date code on the 8 pin dip to get an idea when it will fail.they usually last around 10 years.

The Mouser chip has the battery and controller built in and should give 20+ years of service. Install the two NVRAMS and power cycle several times to clear CS faults.

Your firmware for the two Acq boards is the latest 9.02. I think some of the other roms are up to ver 10.9 and there are copies on KO4BB.com if you feel ambitious.

Regards, tm

Reply to
Tom Miller

I don't trust the ROM's on K04BB - there are differences between ROM's I've dumped myself and similar version numbers on that site.

Reply to
JM

Rust isn't as much of a problem in Joerg's neck of the woods, I don't think. Besides, it only rusts when it isn't turned on. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs