A round shaped LCD screen

Hi I was wondering if anyone knew if and where i could get round lcd screens manufactured or possibly the price range if i could get someone to manufacture it for me. I've been doing some research and all the manufacturers seem to only build rectangular ones, but yet i've seen at certain shows / awards that they sometimes use lcd/plasma screens that are of a strange shape. I am looking for screens with a radius of 15 inches. Thanx

Reply to
taku

Taku,

E-mail me directly with some particulars and I'll check with some of the suppliers I use regularly.

Quantity? Technology: black and white/color, character/bitmap, etc.

I don't think they make them round but I'll ask the experts.

John Musselman

Reply to
John Musselman

What use they'd be is anyone's guess.

Reply to
JW

What if you were to use a rectangular one with a mask that only show a round part of it? Then your driving circuit only "draws" to the visible part and you're sorted. That shouldn't be too hard to do, I would think.

Reply to
OBones

15 inch Radius ? 30 inches diameter ? Thats pretty big ! AFAIK screens that size get hand made at almost infinite cost.

What is the application ? What is your target price ? Is a larger pixel size acceptable (say 1.5mm instead of 0.3mm) ?

For a one of, consider back projection

regards, Dave

Posted Via Nuthinbutnews.Com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services

Dave Garnett

15 inch Radius ? 30 inches diameter ? Thats pretty big ! AFAIK screens that size get hand made at almost infinite cost.

What is the application ? What is your target price ? Is a larger pixel size acceptable (say 1.5mm instead of 0.3mm) ?

For a one of, consider back projection

regards, Dave

Posted Via Nuthinbutnews.Com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services

Dave Garnett

JW said

Might be great for testing the upcoming beta version of Microsoft Portholes XP ....

Casey

Reply to
Casey

Portholes or potholes?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I think this explains the primary use:

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Yow! It's some people
                                  at               inside the wall! This is
                               visi.com            better than mopping!
Reply to
Grant Edwards

They're made rectangular (a) to make efficient use of the expensive optically flat glass (b) 'cos glass doesn't break into circles.

Graham.

Reply to
Pooh Bear

When you click on the details - you get the expected answer. I was looking for the date on the page itself - they really ought to have put it there in small text at the bottom.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Glass breaks perfectly into circles. How do you think portholes are made?

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

D'oh! I've been trolled by a website.

Reply to
JW

Raytheon made them on this side of the pond.

I used to throw the dead ones over the side of the hill to avoid debris... BOOM... several seconds later... CLANG ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Actually, 3" round LCDs would be a great innovation.

Aircraft instruments are 3" round, and it is impossible to find them to make compatible instruments that fit in those holes. The ones that are available usually are square, and require the panel be modified.

Reply to
Scott Moore

....and the early days of oscilloscopes!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

There used to be round monitors in the early days of TV.

--
Former professional electron wrangler.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I read in sci.electronics.design that Michael A. Terrell wrote (in ) about 'A round shaped LCD screen', on Wed, 20 Apr 2005:

English Electric 16 inch round tubes, with metal flares, all at 16 kV or so! They even put some in up-market receivers.

'What is a Moebius strip?'
John Woodgate

:-)

I though perhaps the OP was thinking of an LCD with polar co-ordinates.

For something like a sonar scanner for boats.

Interesting technical challenge...

Reply to
Kryten

Oh yeah, the aviation market is booming.

Not.

Reply to
John Harlow