A quiet forward converter likes only one MOSFET -- why?

Hi,

I have been trying to build a low-power multiple-output converter that has no regulation at the secondary side. Its purpose is to power many floating MOSFET drivers, so a reasonably too low voltage is not a problem, but to high certainly is. Particularly, the experiments involved powering a mock-up SiC MOSFET driver with +15/-3.3V rails. Therefore, the smoothness of the transition from no load to 10mA load is considered critical.

My experiments involved multiple topologies and transformer designs, but they all have failed miserably: if the converter was loaded, then the regulation was good to very good, but the no-load overshot was a killer: in the case of a GaN half-bridge the 15V power rail merilly went to 25V due to leakage inductance spikes on the secondary.

It turned out that I had been trying to build the converter from way too good parts and the reasons behind the spike were not excessively long MOSFET switching/dead times, but quite the opposite: the secondary started ringing due to the high slew rate. So I decided to confirm this theory by building the simplest possible forward converter: a single switch, core reset based on a reset winding + a Schottky diode, fixed

50% duty cycle @176kHz, no inductor at the output and a half-wave rectifier (peak detection is fine), fixed 12V input voltage. Plus the magic at the primary side: the MOSFET gate is driven by a current source to slow down the switching process. Since Vth is around 3V and the driving waveform is ~9V, the approximation of a current source by a 1k variable resistor turned out to be sufficient. Below are the results taken from the secondary winding -- I show the edge first, then I zoom out to show the entire cycle.

With no gate resistance and no load we start with this regular overshot:

Then the gate current is throttled down:

And we approach critical damping:

Zoom out, still no load:

Heavy overdamping with its nice round edges:

In the critically damped case at no load the output voltage is 15.4V, with 15mA output current (1k resistor) it is 14.84V and with a significant 76mA overload (47 Ohm) it still bravely keeps 13.9V. Of curse no overshots whatsoever. Efficiency is around 84%. This is a huge success, given the simplicity of the POC converter, but there are two interesting findings:

  1. The converter consumes 15mA@12V when idle. Not bad, but the LT3439 chip, which has ben designed to address exactly this kind of tasks, consumes 45mA. In spite of its push-pull nature the output voltage is not nearly as stiff as the forward's: with the very same transformer and a full-bridge rectifier on BAS4002 it outputs
16.3V at no load and 14V when loaded with a 1k resistor. I can see significant voltage drop at the secondary winding, so it's not the rectifier's fault. My circuit is much simpler, but performs much better, most interesting.

  1. This slew-rate limited forward works great, but... only with IRFR825. I tried a number of other transistors: the high-voltage ones behave more or less as expected, but as the RDS_ON goes down, the regulation region gets narrower. E.g. the FCP20N60 with 150mOhm is barely usable. Even better transistors are not usable at all. I suspect the Qg gets too big to fully charge the gate and switching losses dominate. It is possible to get decently round edges with them, but at the expense of ~200mA idle current. Good low-voltage MOSFETs, e.g. SQJA62EP simply don't work at all. Interestingly, their Qg is comparable to that of the worse HV transistors, but R_DS_ON is *much* smaller. So my theory breaks down here.

Typically for me, a solved practical problem has been replaced by a theoretical one. What could possibly make this 500V/1 Ohm IRFR825 MOSFET SO special? It is the only part that works PERFECTLY in this applicaton.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Thanks for sharing this Piotr.

May I be heretical and suggest considering a bipolar? One of the Zetex low Vcesat offerings (designed as mosfet rivals) like ZXT849 or FZT853 might also perform well. When quietness is more important than efficiency they can be helpful.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Can you post the schematic? What transformer are you using?

I've blown out Cree SiC fets going just a bit over abs max gate voltage. They are serious about that spec.

The low-load increase is probably from leakage inductance ringing in the transformer. That shouldn't be much energy if you keep the frequency low. Personally, I'd put a 15 volt zener on the isolated side, rather than damping the primary.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

I have found some of their parts work well at 4V below the suggested gate voltage.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

In a bit of a hurry to celebrate, so here's the CAD file:

A hand-wound 20mm toroid made of F938 with one instance of the secondary rails. Wound with some random wires of different colour for easy prototyping, hence no isolation. The production unit will use a proper TIW wire.

Some more measurements: the negative rail is -3.54V when unloaded and

-3.46V when the 15V rail is loaded with 1k. No ringing at all. This is an outstanding achievment, given the simplicity of the circuit.

Sure, but even that is enough to kill your precious SiC parts.

That would work too, but since it is the secondary that is ringing, every clone of it would need a zener. That makes 20 more parts, while on the primary side it is just a single gate resistor.

Some more discoveries:

  1. The inability to use any other MOSFET that IRFT825 is not related to much lower Cgd of the low voltage parts: an SQJA62 with 680pF between its drain and gate is similarly usless, but in a different setting of the trimpot.

  1. Ditto for the series channel resistance. The SQJA62 with 1 Ohm in the source (good for current sensing, anyway) behaves exactly the same way.

No idea what physics is behind that and why the IRFR825 is just perfectly operational and predictable over the entire trimpot range. The resulting unit just rocks, but I would like to understand why -- this is a sci group after all. :-)

Some MOSFET god has smiled upon me, because it was the first suitable MOSFET that I found. If I started with any other part, the entire idea would get canned.

And finally, Happy New Year to all of you!

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Just wondering if moving the catch diode to the non-dot end of the reset winding changes anything - ringing due to interwinding stray capacity etc?

Could you save the dual secondary and instead of making +15V and -3.5V just make 18.5V and syntheise zero with a resistor and 15V zener (or

3.6V zener) then you'd also get a preload on the converter?

Happy New Year!

piglet

Reply to
piglet

The pleasure is on my side. :-)

This circuit is heretical enough to make more heresies go unnoticed. :-)

I have only ZTX851. No luck, the part is too slow, total disaster.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Why not a push pull 50% duty?

That would make you drive all the transformers in parallel and is dead simple

Happy new year

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Post the schematic.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Provided you can do it twice!

Happy New Year

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Piotr, the three parts you mention trying in this application are dramatically different from each other. For example, the classic current/voltage short-cut name shows the differences, ranging from 6A at 600V to 60A at 60V. Rds by a factor of 300.

p/n Id-Vds Rds Ciss Coss Crss IRFR825 6n50 1.05 1346 76 15 FCP20N60 20n60 0.15 2370 1280 95 SQJA62EP 60n06 0.0037 3900 1700 50

The largest effect is on the MOSFET's capacitances, where Coss ranges over a factor of 22x. It seems your application likes low capacitances. If you've read much of my work on using power MOSFETs, you'll see that I do not think the best parts are the ones capable of the highest currents, like your 60V part. More often than not, the low capacitances are more important. Furthermore, once you select a part like the IRFR825, with its lower 76 and 15pF capacitances, you may be using it in a circuit where, say Crss, is important. Then it may be a good idea to design the circuit for a nominal capacitance several times higher than the FET, and get there by adding a cap from gate to drain. Then you can substitute different MOSFETs, provided their Crss is on the order of, or lower, than your original part, so your part dominates, and the circuit will be insensitive to the exact MOSFET.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

What's wrong with the one already posted?

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Sure, I am well aware of it. I wanted to use one with sufficient V_DS_MAX rating and with the lowest possible R_DS_ON in order to minimize the Ohmic voltage drop when loaded, but they simply don't work. At all or the useful trimpot regulation range is comparable to the Brownian motion of its slider. Only the IRFR825 has the right combination of parameters.

I'll try to find something in my stock and check this theory. I have already checked that adding more Miller capacitance doesn't help, so this opposite direction is worth checking. Let's see what I have, the Coss isn't specified on the bag.

Thanks, Win!

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Because it is almost impossible to snub the ringing down to the acceptable level, slew rate control is required as well. But then you have the matching problem, which is not present in the case of a single switch topology.

The secondary-side rectifiers got more complicated as well, you either need to double the number of windings (just 40 secondaries, scary), use a full-wave like the BAS4002 or stay with the half-wave and introduce flux imbalance to the core. None of the problems exists in the case of a single-ended design.

I started with a push-pull. :-)

This forward power stage is so simple that you can duplicate it at almost no cost. Use two transistors and your transformer can have just 5 sets of secondaries, and so on. Even the current sense resistor can be shared. Since here I am limited by the winding area (the TIW wire just needs to be thick) and the core will always be too big magnetically, two smaller units can be a better choice than a bigger single doughnut.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Piotr, I maintain a giant spreadsheet of MOSFETs. It has 435 entries for 500 and 600V parts. The IRFR825 is not unusual. There are about 20 parts with Rds near 1 ohm, and most of the IRFR825's specs are similar to the others in that set, with the exception of Ciss, which at 1346pF is about 2.5x higher than the rest. Normally considered a bad thing, it does help to minimize the effect of Crss Miller capacitance. Maybe, along with your gate-trimming resistor, this helps your circuit.

There are other similar parts with an even higher Ciss/Crss ratio, such as the FDD8N50NZ.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

You might consider using a hard mosfet driver and lowpass filtering before the transformer primary. That's a lot more deliberate.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

I think you could adjust the drive duty cycle and use single-winding secondaries and two diodes per channel. Then maybe use commercial transformers.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

I don't get the contrast between devices. Was that at the same R_G, or the best setting for each?

I made this,

which has independently adjustable I_on/I_off (I later added a complementary emitter follower after the drivers, and changed the gate impedance to 2.2 ohms, for increased dI/dt). I should be able to test similar things, if nothing else.

The effect of limited I_G is partly voltage slew rate, but practically, mostly current slew rate. dVds/dt isn't much affected, not on high voltage types anyway (Cdg is too small at high voltages). To control dV/dt, introduce an R+C from D-G (the R prevents it from causing oscillation).

An example of that, in turn:

Note: a ferrite bead on every gate was required for stability. Partly for the C and partly for the zeners (which are much higher C).

What are you seeing, and what is its cause? LL + Cp of the secondary, ringing with diode CJO, excited by primary side current.

Presumably, limiting dI/dt should do, but it must be done smoothly (d^2I/dt^2 and maybe ^3 as well should be limited, in effect), and you may not have obvious gate-side control over this because of acceleration and overswing. Consider if Vds falls too quickly, it basically slams into the MOSFET as it finishes saturating, or whangs into the body diode, and this in turn causes the secondary to bounce some.

In other words, it's not even just dV/dt, or dI/dt, but how quickly the impedance changes from commutation (~linear range, capacitive / high Z) to saturation (low Z) as well.

Modern MOSFETs help you out some here, with the aggressively graded Coss acting somewhat like a gas shock bumper does mechanically (though without the losses). Downside: gate drive is continuing to rise as Vds finishes settling down, which means available Id is still going up -- and the current slew rate isn't very smooth because Gm rises with Id; it's actually accelerating. You'd actually want Id to flatten out, rather than continue to rise, here during the bottom corner.

Adding a source resistor alone doesn't help this, but a source resistor /and/ a capacitor from gate to GND, can. Note how the external capacitor is able to work against Ciss with respect to Vs, whereas driving the gate with a current, it's left to its own dynamic regardless of Vs.

You could further add an RCD network, so that as Vds < Vgs, an additional loading capacitance is introduced, slowing it further. Kind of a dynamic braking Baker clamp. A resistor across the cap ensures it discharges during the off cycle.

Can also introduce inductance in the source circuit, as long as stability is maintained. Keeping it to an R||L is probably wise.

Making it all squeaky clean, I think, is going to depend upon a consistent load condition. You can tune the source circuit to degenerate a load step of, say, 1A, but it will absolutely drag at 2 or 3 or 5A. Because you're limiting slew rate absolutely, not relative.

I suppose a saturating inductance could be used, but it needs to be lossy just right, too (i.e., proportionally so). Likewise the dV/dt control stuff could be made nonlinear to get better range out of it, but it's a hard ask for ceramic capacitors that are say 100pF at zero bias but down to say 10pF at 10V, and also rated for 100!

I may just try out some of these strategies, as I'm a bit curious how to tune the edges and corners of switching stages for general EMC purposes. A somewhat more general solution would perhaps approach LT's SilentSwitcher line, and I'd be curious to have more insight into how they did things.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Design Website:

Tim Williams

This was the same forward proto board, I was just changing the transistors and looking what happens. One mysterious transistor works incredibly well, others are a total disaster. They switch well at full speed (no wonder) and go crazy when a bit asphyxiated (and this is the interesting part I wanted to share with you). I would expect the obvious gradual increase of switching losses, but it is not the case. They either start with unacceptable idle current (~60mA@12V) or trip the PSU CC limit (200mA for prototyping safety) from the beginning. The 825 part starts at ~45mA when switching hard and goes down to ~16mA when throttled. High frequency core losses of the spike snubbed by the ferrite? The common lore is that losses go down as switching time goes down, but not in this case, at least globally. That 30mA equivalent power had to go somewhere...

That was exactly the idea behind my design. Slower charge transfer => slower voltage rise at the gate => longer stay in the linear region. But the results are quite surprising, it works in a (very!) predictable way just in the case of one MOSFET type.

But R_DS_ON is high (1 Ohm here). I think it is the important part of the resulting quietness: allow the inductor voltage to rise smoothly and then drive hard. Win says it is thanks to low capacitance. I'll buy some low cap parts soon and launch an ordalium.

Surprisingly, adding 680pF to SQJA62's Cgd doesn't change anything. The instability just moves to a different point. To contradict myself: adding 400mOhm to the source of SQJA62 also doesn't change anything. Pure X files.

Buy an 825 and replicate my setup. You'll be amazed how stable and predictable this circuit is. Scope doesn't lie. For a not exactly understood reason, but this is a different issue.

But the slew rate is limited only during the switching period. Later Vgs quickly saturates (this is a capacitor, after all) and you have as much current as you would get in the case of a hard switched forward.

This is a very interesting idea, definitely worth checking!

Please do, I'm interested in your findings.

I haven't measured the EMI properties of my converter, but judging from the scope traces, it is close to what an LT3439 produces. What they have and I don't is the precise slew rate control over the entire switching edge. Yes, the IC's waveforms do look beautiful. But they have much worse V_out_loaded/V_out_idle ratio -- I have measured that with exactly the same transformer, the forward reset winding was used as the second push-pull winding. And this is pretty strange, given their output switch ON resistance: 0.5 Ohm typ., 0.95 Ohm max. Very close to that of the

825. Interestingly, they say the switches have collectors, which would imply an NPN device, but specify their resistance instead of the saturation voltage. Some additional well-hidden magic based on multiple output switches?

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski