A nice component identifier machine

ATMega328 8-bit uP driven, it does a lot of stuff!

$15.50 with an enclosure on Amazon:

Reply to
bitrex

I bought 3 of those boards on Ebay after EEVblog showed them. Works pretty neat actually. I haven't used it since first playing with it. Gave out 2 boards to the other engineers.

I'd lose the gloves though

Reply to
boB

Yes, these are pretty good and cheap enough not to worry about losing.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

I bought a similar one and find it to be extremely useful.

What I wanted to do was to measure the ESR of a battery. Tried everything I could think of to trick it into giving me the answer without success.

There are MANY different ones on EBAY. Some hint at different capabilities, but specs and details are absent. What you get from an ebay supplier is a drop-shipment of whatever is in stock at whatever source they use this week. Crap shoot.

Would be interesting to see a comparison of similar units from stable vendors so you might expect to get the same model that was reviewed.

Reply to
Mike

They're very handy, but I've heard concern expressed about what they do to test transistors. Anyone checked what i, v it applies?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's not much based on what it does to LEDs. I'd guess

Reply to
speff

maybe put the battery in series with a capacitor of known ESR?

Jasen Betts

On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 03:08:56 -0800, Mike wrote as underneath :

You can use the Bob Parker ESR meter happily for cell ESR measurements / matching. I dont know to what voltage this is safe up to but its fine for LIthium cells. The meter uses high frequency measurement and is not a multi purpose tool, also not ultra cheapo! C+

Reply to
Charlie+

Didn't work with my meter. Two cells series opposing to get zero volts didn't work either.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Mike

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com schrieb:

[...]> They're very handy, but I've heard concern expressed about what they do to test transistors. Anyone checked what i, v it applies?

I think all these testers are based on what can be found here:

Click "Download".

You'll find a detailed description of circuit and functions.

HTH

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

Thanks, I figured it was based on some open-source design, but had not run across the original source.

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

I found that it also correctly identifies thyristors(!), though it's not able to give you any specs on them can at least distinguish them from transistors when they're in similar packages

Reply to
bitrex