A legal solution for bitcoin

English translation (google-translate assisted :)):

My fear is that bitcoin will cause global warming and rising electricity costs.

A possible solution for bitcoin is to introduce a law that states that a person can only mine bitcoins with only one or a maximum of 5 computers.

Such a law could then be used to tackle / close large bitcoin mining farms and to promote even the distribution of bitcoin and other crypto currencies / currencies.

An "if you can not beat them then join them approach" :) but in the spirit as bitcoin was meant ... a bit for everyone.

I think that's a nice solution.

Dutch:

Mijn angst is dat bitcoin gaat zorgen voor opwarming van de aarde en stijgende electriciteits kosten.

Een mogelijke oplossing voor bitcoin is om een wet te introduceren waarin staat dat een persoon met slechts een of maximaal 5 computers bitcoins mag minen.

Zo een wet zou dan gebruikt kunnen worden om grote bitcoin mining farms aan te pakken/te sluiten en om zelfs de verdeling van bitcoin en andere crypto munten/valuta te bevorderen.

Een "if you can't beat em join em approach" :) maar dan wel in de geest zoals bitcoin was bedoeld... een beetje voor iedereen.

Best een mooie oplossing denk ik zo.

Doei, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

LOL unenforceable.

Jasen Betts

(Directly writing in english to state the perceived problem/worry more clearly):

My worry is based on exponentially increase of hash rate.

This seems a clear indication that more and more computation power and thus devices and thus energy is consumed.

However some devices may be very energy efficient (asic) than again others are not (gpu).

The number of users has also grown exponential, yet most users do not own many bitcoins, this is another indication that most of the hash rate growth is from big mining farms.

These will eventually become richer and then expand their operation, this has me worried.

Most companies don't buy air conditioners at an exponential rate so that comparision doesn't fly.

So I have more clearly stated the problem in this new text.

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

Just search for people using an unusual amount of electricity. It's either bitcoin or pot. Either way, it's good civil confiscation bait.

Reply to
krw

Or a hot tub, or an electric car, or maybe they've got a shed full of freezers....

Jasen Betts

Either way, certainly something to get the IRS involved in. Being a conservative is enough to garner the full wrath of the federal government. A freezer full of meat is certainly more than suspicious.

Reply to
krw