89C51 - 89V51 PROGRAMMING PROBLEMS

Hello, I've been using the P89C51RD2 and AT89C51RD2 for years without any problem in several desings. But it seems that these MU's will be discontinued and substituted by their Pbfree parts, P89V51RD2 and AT89CRD2-UV respectively.

When I've received the first pbfree prototypes I've had problems to programm the chips. Not the phillps and neither the atmel one can be programmed any more. Does anybody knows something about that????

Reply to
RFrutos

I've not tried them, but have you got the latest Flash Magic? That says it supports the 89V versions.

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

What makes you think they are to be discontinued?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Component manufacturers everywhere are replacing parts with their PB free versions.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

This is simply not true as far as the Philips parts are concerned. The P89C51RD2 been lead free for over six months and is not being replaced by anything. The P89V51RD2 is a different part altogether.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Hi ,

I have the Philips P89V51 programming well from both serial programming via the P89V51 UART and Parallel programmer

Serial programming P89V51 download latest "Flashmagic software" - Also has a good discussion forum for programming these devices.

P89V51 Parallel - There are 2 fash blocks Block 0 has the code Block 1 has bootloader programming code. ==> You MUST NOT erase Block1 unless you want to write your own boot loader.

On power-up the P89V51 loads Block 1 takes over the 1st 8k of the code space and starts excuting the boot loader.... If block 1 is erased it cant switch back to the normal code area (block 0).

If you accidently erase the boot code in block 1 - you can reload it by parallel programmer - code is on the philips P89V51 PIP page (product info page)

A good fourm in on

ATMEL - sorry no exp.

Regards Joseph

Reply to