Subject Author Posted Replies

One more year of raw data from tritium decay experiment now available
The experiment: Direct link to data: Give or take some hours in 'one year', and some start up hours. The experiment was restarted again May 16 2014. So far I do not notice any seasonal effects when...
44
44

How does a wet cloth really help (scientifically) to survive an airplane crash?
I'm not sure WHERE to ask this, but, how does a wet cloth work in an airplane crash anyway? In step 3 at 45 seconds into this video shows it in use: What's the wet cloth (scientifically) doing?
99
99

Smart Meter Comm Protocols
We had a new "smart" electricity meter installed on our building. It communicates two way with the utility via a microwave link. Now we are curious about some of its features. I know it periodically...
5
5

RS-485 protection
So I'm working on my first industrial control gizmo in awhile (since retrofitting improved alignment systems on some G-line wafer steppers back in about 1991, actually). It's going to talk to a remote...
27
27

Complex Math Question
Is this correct... I have a complex expression Numerator/Denominator where Numerator is the complex conjugate of the Denominator. Am I correct that the net phase angle is twice that of the Numerator?...
10
10

Frequencies emited by Windows Computer
I was having a discussion yesterday and was asked how many different frequencies would be emitted by a computer and its monitor running Windows software. The meaning was, those that could be read with...
9
9

3 Volt DC fan
I looked but had no luck in finding a 3 Volt DC fan. Can I increase 3 volts to something that will power a higher voltage fan ? Danke Schon, Andy
11
11

I invented AI.
I invented AI. you have the opportunity to PR? Lois The story created by artificial intellect Baby (The Megatron series). "We need to hire a barrister (a lawyer in England. - Editor's note). This w...

Dynamic impedance nomograph, a gift for you all
After someone posted that nice (old) PDF scan of the impedance nomograph, I thought I could do better. This is to say thanks for all the helpful advice I've received here (needs Javascript!). You can...
36
36

Carbon Pile
Who makes a good stable carbon pile? Stable as in it maintains its resistance as current is varied. 200 amp range, 100 VDC. Currently using a battery load tester but I want something I can mount on my...
9
9

BFR92AW, B-E junction saturation?
Gents, In a pulser app I am driving BFR92AW transistors flat-out. Pulse going in is 3.3V -> 5k resistor -> base. Emitter is on ground and there is a few pF across the 5k resistor in order to spiff up...
69
69

OT; Any insights into airflow after slottet wall versus unslotted wall
Hi At our house the terrasse is elevated, so sometimes high wind makes it unco mfortable The terrasse is build up of 12 cm boards with about 2 cm spacing, with a he ight of 110 cm. To combat the wind,...
3
3

500 days
Or maybe it's 499 now. I like this, in this morning's SF Chronicle.
32
32

MOSFET which turns on @ 2Vgd
Hi all I was browsing Elfas homepage, but I cannot search on that. I have an application, where the easiest would be to get a N channel fet which turns fully on when Vgd = 2V (or less) Does anyone...
18
18

So that is how Kelvin probes work!
Ok, so I have a good LCR meter and preform proper measurement technics but get noisy readings even with Kelvin clamps. I bid and won a set of Kelvin probes with four BNC connectors on EBAY for 99C and...
4
4