74<magic>157 -- 3.3V supply, 5V tolerant inputs?

Is there a 74xx logic series that sports a 3.3V supply and 5V tolerant inputs?

I'm just looking at an existing board that's been in production for a while in which I made a mistake. The board has a 74AHC157 running on

3.3V. Most inputs are coming from a 3.3V domain, but one is coming from a 5V domain (fortunately it's coming through a 1k-ohm resistor).

The part's been working just fine, but I'm still thinking that it's a bit wrong. If there's a better part that I could drop in I'm all ears.

TIA

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I wouldn't worry about it if the draw from the 3.3V supply is >>

1.7mA.

Since each input has it's own ESD diodes you're safe. ...Jim Thompson

Tack on a 3V3 zener to the input ? double safe with the 1K...

TTman

Where do you get a 3.3V zener that does not have a soft knee? ...Jim Thompson

Or a Schottky diode to +3.3. That'll prevent the ESD diodes from turning on, which I think is a good policy.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

74LVC157 tolerates 5V but check that your 3.3V inputs meet CMOS levels.
Reply to
papabear546

Should be fine as-is. One mA into an ESD diode won't cause problems.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I guess since you're presently using the 74AHC157, your 3.3V inputs are probably OK. The other thing to check, however, is if the increased output drive of the LVC (+/- 24mA) going to cause any problems.

Reply to
papabear546

Den onsdag den 14. oktober 2015 kl. 19.00.17 UTC+2 skrev Tim Wescott:

The datasheet says you that any voltage is allowed as long as you stay below abs max +/-20mA into the input

just watch out for the minimum load on the supply if it is source only

an old Xilinx app note suggested putting a load resistor on the supply

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

3.3V shunt regulator?

I'm trying to do this with NO BOARD CHANGES, guys! I didn't mention that the "+5V domain through a 1k" is actually an open collector pulling down a 1k whose hot end is at +5V -- if I cared that deeply I'd have them do a cut and jump to +3.3V.

But -- they wouldn't want to do that, so my alternative is to suggest a different part number for one chip.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

then all you need as an R shunt to ground to make a divider...

thats a pretty minor change that can probable be done without board spin.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

You could make it a 2k resistor, if that would let you sleep better. It sounds like it ain't broke, so why fix it?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

no answer to the question, but I have another one.

Are they still making latest/greatest "magic" series of chips?

My junk box stops in about the mid 90s with the "als" stuff. Any new 40xxx or 74xxx stuff introduced in the last decade?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

from the NXP datasheet for 74ahc/ahct157

"Inputs accepts voltages higher than VCC"

And it doesn't mention a max positive clamp current for inputs, just abs. max 7V, recommended 0-5.5V with no mention of Vcc

i.e. you don't need to change anything

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There is a bewildering variety. Go to DigiKey and type "7400" into the search bar for an idea.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

It's not necessary. Leave it alone and go pour a cool one ;-) ...Jim Thompson

74AHC, 74AHCT, 74LVC, a few like that.

There's also several families of "tiny logic" CMOS, single-gate functions mostly. Many allow logic inputs past Vcc, to 7 volts maybe, and some are blindingly fast, like 600 ps rise/fall times.

There's a 1 ns flipflop, NC7SV74, for 16 cents.

And there is SiGe ECL and CML logic, edges way below 100 ps. Like $40 to $150 per gate.

40xx is pretty much stalled.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

At the hospital, after the titanium implant surgery?

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have a Titanium hip joint ;-) ...Jim Thompson

TI's SN74LVC157A is 5v tolerant, Or you can go with Jim's suggestion.

Martin Riddle