Subject Author Posted Replies

Beryllium Oxide insulators
I am trying to find Beryllium insulator for TO-247. Anybody know of a source? regards, Bob N9NEO
44
44

Trouble configuring Virtex-5 FPGA using JTAG
I'm trying to configure a Virtex-5 FPGA on a custom board and I'm using Xil inx iMPACT in order to program the FPGA using a JTAG interface. But iMPACT has trouble detecting the FPGA and gives an error...
1
1

Inductive Coupling Coefficient
I need a SWAG on this, just to see if it's feasible... Two inductors (solenoids) with Ferrite cores, each ~5mm in diameter and separated by ~5mm spacing. What coupling coefficient might I expect?...
48
48

Electrical variations
In my inbox from a friend wondering "how this can be so..." -----8
10
10

Calculating GSM Wavelength in Salt Water
Can someone please verify or correct the following calculations? 900MHz = 33.3cm. Divide by 1.4 (specific gravity of sea water) = 23.8cm wavelength of 900MHz in sea water. Thanks, Rober Wade
23
23

Linear motors for hobbyists?
I'd like to build a small, high-precision CNC machine, and I'm trying to find an ironless linear motor. Baldor's LMCF series would have been ideal, but it looks like they're no longer available. I've...
14
14

OT: "Minmum" wage crap
From an S&A newsletter: I could explain, using a million examples, why minimum-wage laws are terrible for poor people. That isn't in doubt. When wages rise above the marginal value of labor, there is...
152
152

"Safe" way of running Flash under Firefox
Hi, I tend NOT to install Flash on outward facing machines just to eliminate one more set of bugs, opportunity for advertisers, cookie jar, etc. SWMBO has been increasingly grumbling about not being...
14
14

Skybuck's method to create a warp bubble/field.
Hello, Apperently negative energy is needed to create a warp bubble/field. Apperently negative energy is created when light bounces of a moving mirror. The following "invention/idea" may create more...
5
5

9 volt nimh batteries
Looking for recommendations for 9 volt NiMh batteries. EBL has one they claim has a 600 mah capacity. What about Tenergy's 200 mah battery ? Thanks.
2
2

Engineering Failures
A few days ago I was watching a program on TV about engineering failures. One was about whiskers. It seems as though I stumbled across this topic years ago. Can anyone fill in a few details?
7
7

While cleaning up the shop, I found this
Original Boonton 72BD manual. It includes all of the fold out schematics and board images. This is not just a user manual. I don't think I'll ever have a use for it and was wondering if someone here...
9
9

"Nanodot" batteries anyone?
Not seen it mentioned here before - The "nanodot" battery is about the size of a brick at present. This and even more garbled versions of it has been doing the rounds lately. It looks slightly more...
4
4

EMC guidelines...true or false?
Hi everyone, I've recently received a booklet of a handful of 'design rules' that should mitigate the risk of Non Compliances to Radiated Emission requirements which sometimes might be severe in the...
25
25

RoHS and Lead Acid batteries
I'm working on a battery-powered bit of kit for a client. His old system was powered by lead-acid batteries, and while we don't feel a need to retain continuity for continuities sake, we should think...
17
17