Subject Author Posted Replies

lessons taught
I think older people neturally want to teach. That's a tribal, selfish-gene survival thing. When something in a new circuit doesn't work, people are sometimes inclined to replace a "bad part." Most...
75
75

USB Serial Adapters from eBay
I have bought a number of serial port adapters from eBay over the years and many claim to use Prolific or other name brand chips when in fact they are counterfeit. I bought one batch after...
11
11

PWM generator for half Hbridge
Hi everyone, we are facing a stupid issue with our current signal generator (Agilent 33500B). We are generating, via GPIB, a complementary PWM signal [1] with time delay insertion in order to drive an...
25
25

Diode and capacitor on mains input
I'm fixing a B & O amplifier, a pleasure due to the clear schematics supplied with it but do not understand one little area. In series with the mains input there is an electrolytic and a pair of back...
11
11

faster Firefox
Do this in about:config It reduces the number of 3rd party downloads on a web page. Also, make Flash loads optional.
18
18

fabulous book
This is by the guy who wrote "Chaos" and "Genius" A good companion book is which has a few of the same characters, Claude Shannon in particular. The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of...
85
85

Op amp recommendation
Can anyone recommend a low quiescent power, low cost, CMOS op amp suitable for use from a single supply, that can really pump out current when required (50 - 100 mA)? GBW and slew rate requirements...
21
21

Serial To USB Adapters
I'd like to take this opportunity to display my ignorance. I know that serial to USB adapters exist, but there are some that require drivers and some that don't. I also know that many, if not most,...
53
53

RF immunity standard
Does anyone have IEC 61000-4-6:2008 (RF) that they could share?

Long ingrained neural pathways
I picked this up on another newsgroup. It's about riding a bike with reverse geared steering. I know you've seen one before, but there is some analysis about how long it took this engineer to learn to...
5
5

MPPT using an inverting boost converter
Hi all I am thinking about this options for MPPT I have different options for my input, and this can convert up and down, so it fits me well. Also, a panel can be used over a larger scale. Does anyone...
46
46

lightning
There's a big thunderbumper moving in, and we just had a lightning strike somewhere nearby. My computers were fine, but my LG monitor crashed and reset. Weird.
12
12

SATA interface for EIDE drive?
I've got an old WD hard drive whose original EIDE PCB got bad and I could not get an exact PCB replacement for it. A supposed expert on hard drives suggested that I might try to attach a SATA PCB to...
35
35

Generating sparks with certain characteristics
Once upon a time, sparkfun sold this device: It took 5V 3A DC in, and out the other end came a loud, bright series of sp arks at maybe 30-50Hz. The spark gap could be up to a half inch wide, so I' m...
16
16

"Small" (physical size) thumb drives
Hi, Recommendations for physically small, modest size (~16G), "fast" thumb drives? I've recently been using more "traditional" sized SanDisk drives and have been disappointed with their performance...
38
38