Subject Author Posted Replies

Hermetic connectors
Hermetic multi pin connectors are expensive. I don't need high vacuum just something in the sub milli-Torr range. (If you know of a source of cheap-ish sealed connectors, please share.) I've made my...
44
44

LED Constant Current with JFET
I am using a JFET with a PNP transistor to regulate the current into an LED. I picked this topology because the LEDs include green and blue with a Vf of over 3 volts and my power source is only 5...
39
39

Keeping it together
I like to wind my own transformers and coils, on some projects I used rubber bands to keep the core halves together: These made in China crap rubber bands detoriate and chances are core halves fall...
28
28

Thunderbird Runs Slowly
I have always seen Thunderbird exhibit various delays and hiccups in normal operation. But lately it seems a *lot* worse than usual. There are times when I am typing and every letter has a large...
27
27

OT: organic farming versus conventional agriculture
Hi, Organic agriculture proven to outperform conventional agriculture, cheaper, less pollution, better soil, and no carcinogenic pesticides, etc etc.. seems like a no brainer, except for the lack of...
32
32

OT: language barrier
There's an older Chinese couple who lives in apartment down the road from me - lots of wealthy Chinese businesspeople have been buying property in the Boston area lately and they often bring their...
33
33

Yes it can be done
The question if using cheap ebay acoustic distance meter modules _can_ be used to do wind speed and direction measurements needed to be answered. In a first test the pulse changes were too small to...
22
22

Laser, graphene, propulsion
I heard about this on a Science 360 broadcast this morning. A laser pointed at a graphene sponge propels it forward. (not quite the same as skysail) The researchers have several theories as to why....
43
43

Acousttic wind speed measurement using phase only
The idea: idea is to simply _add_ direct and reflected signal, use a peak detector. You do not need the second resistor, there is enough direct coupling between the piezos. For 1 - 100 km/h wind speed...
6
6

Using a Pot to Tune a Coil
Please excuse the general question, but is there any way to tune a coil using a potentiometer? For example, let's say one end of the coil is connected to an antenna and the other end to earth. Would a...
65
65

Twisted pair (TP) capacitance, shielded vs unshielded.
Does having a grounded shield around TP increase the inter lead capacitance? By like, 1/2 the capacitance of each wire to the shield. Or put another way, if I ground one side (at one point) of the TP...
54
54

transformer/inductor design
There is a newer one. Author has good transformer link page: Useful Links | Kg Magnetics, Inc. Transformer Design Handbook | Maciej Noras
1
1

Re: Skybuck's PC for 2015/2016. (inquiry)
Get an iPad. Never, never think about opening it up. And have the Apple genius guys install all the apps for you. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing laser drivers and...
2
2

FYI
-- Many thanks, Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073 Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552 rss: email: Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at

Specs should be what you want, not what's in the data sheet.
4us propagation delay. 200kHz. Right. Damn. (Long day debugging what turned out to be a stupid design error. I hate it when I do that. Need to find some faster comparators!)
37
37