64k line limited spreadsheet is still line limited when using program with larger limit. - Page 2

Re: 64k line limited spreadsheet is still line limited when using program with larger limit.
o an email.
xpected the data on the chart in the spreadsheet changed to reflect  the ne
w data.  So far so good.
and pasted ALSO CHANGED.   This is NOT what I wanted or expected.
 is linked back to the source spreadsheet somehow.
sent the email.

I can see that being a very useful feature.  You write a report and insert
data, charts, results, whatever from a spreadsheet.  You change the data or
 find an error and much of the spreadsheet changes, why wouldn't you want t
he report to reflect the correct information.

It only went bad for you because you didn't expect it.  I am sure there are
 ways to copy the chart as a graphic which is what you intended to do I exp
ect.  No?

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 5,000 miles of free Supercharging
Re: 64k line limited spreadsheet is still line limited when using program with larger limit.

While I understand your pain, I can think of several circumstances where that capability could be pretty handy.

Re: 64k line limited spreadsheet is still line limited when using program with larger limit.

After Microsoft's DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) which allows for
continuous or once-off exchange of arbitrary data under program control,
they came up with OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) which was later
called COM (Component Object Model). ActiveX was when Internet Explorer
implemented COM, so you could embed things from an application into a
web page. Almost everything Microsoft has done since 1990 uses COM, it's
the heart of the whole integration story that makes their platform work,
and was specifically focussed on getting the Office family products to
behave exactly as you describe. The high level of integration is also a
major reason why the platform is so insecure; every application is open
to many attack vectors from almost every other.

It should be more of a surprise when you *don't* see this behaviour.

Clifford Heath.

Re: 64k line limited spreadsheet is still line limited when using program with larger limit.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

Excel does NOT have a 64k line limit.

  OLD Excel does.  Very old.

  What you did is EMBED a workbook in an email.  That is an active
element.

  IF you ad simply sent the workbook as an attachment, it would no
longer be linked.

  Unless you have lookups to local files.

  Oh and they do not call them spreadsheets any more.

Re: 64k line limited spreadsheet is still line limited when using program with larger limit.

With some programs and file types ( eg winzip) you'll get a warning
that the file being emailed is not current. With MS, I can see changes
being made within and between MS-branded SW - you didn't mention what
your email SW was (outlook??).

I usually save spreadsheets with datestamps in their file name, so
there's usually no questioning the rev being examined or transmitted.
You can't count on DOS-based OS to keep track through 'created' and
'modified' file property tags.

RL

Re: 64k line limited spreadsheet is still line limited when using program with larger limit.

yes it was MS outlook

Re: 64k line limited spreadsheet is still line limited when using program with larger limit.

   IF one is 'in' Windows, and making the workbook using Excel, the
file has several properties one can edit such that merely hovering
over the file name in file explorer yields a wealth of info about
the workbook.  One can even make edits with each revision as there
is a revision field included as well.

Re: 64k line limited spreadsheet is still line limited when using program with larger limit.

vily on Excel in my projects. My file sizes are quite large, 1 to 10MB. Exc
el becomes slow, and downright unstable, as the workbook grows large.  But
more  indicative of the "stress" is the working memory (which is 10-100x mo
re than the file size. Excel can be very RAM hungry). Have Task Manager run
ning as you open a large file, lo and behold. ...

I've had Excel files well in excess of 110 MB with no problems.
Of course that was with a PC having 1.21 JiggaBytes of RAM on-board.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjCRUvX2D0E

BTW, the "Mr. Excel" podcast and YouTube videos are a great way to pass som
e spare time, (that is, if you happen to be a total engineering neerdy type
!).

....and he never could understand why he didn't get the girls in high schoo
l.

Re: 64k line limited spreadsheet is still line limited when using program with larger limit.

  This guy's problem is the version of Excel he is using.  And maybe
the machine too.  He is probably trying to open a behomoth with a
chihuahua.

  Yeah...  and watch how good it works on a robust machine.  Dude...
you need to upgrade from your 386.

  Your spelling isn't right either, and neither was his
pronunciation.

  It is GIGA as in the word GIGAntic.  It is a HARD I NOT a soft I.
The first G is soft and the second is hard.  So he ALMOST pronounced
it right.

  GI like in "JIVE"  GA, like in "GAGA".  Gi Ga Bytes

 Yep...  that is the he to which I refer.

 But for large spreadsheets, I know one that is just a big table, no
frills, spreadsheet wise.

  The entire database of DVDs.  312k+ entries.

<http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/dvdlist.htm

  Well constructed Excel workbooks can be an enormous plus to a work
environment.

  It must have been that brain transfer hat he wore.

Re: 64k line limited spreadsheet is still line limited when using program with larger limit.

Re: my comments, I did not specify the hardware because I found that added
CPU power & RAM does *not* eliminate the strange behavior. Yes, too little
RAM or CPU power is a problem too.

Also, I do have some workbooks >10MB in filesize but they are not the norm.
 I was using compressed binary (xlsb) file format to keep the files smaller
 - but as I said, I now recommend xlsm or xlsx formats.

(For the record, I have been using a 2.7GHz 7th-gen 4-core (8 logical) i7 C
PU with 32GB of RAM -- running Excel 2016, but later 2010 -- pretty good sp
ecs I'd say. I have since upgraded to a 4.2GHz 8-gen 6-core (12 logical) CP
U with 32 GB RAM and nVidia GT1070 GPU. So recalcs are *much* faster, but s
ome inherent Excel problems persist - because IT dept. put Excel *2016* on
it. I'm going to ask them to replace it with 2010.

regards, Rich S.

Re: 64k line limited spreadsheet is still line limited when using program with larger limit.
snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

  OK.  That has no 64k line limit.

  From 2010 forward, IIRC.

Re: 64k line limited spreadsheet is still line limited when using program with larger limit.

  I have a 4 core Xeon at 3GHz pushing (and using) a quadro P4000
through only 16GB RAM.  I opted for speed and brute force figuring I'd
upgrade the ram to 64GB later.

  The DVD database I posted a link to is huge and some field are hard
to search because they are so big.

  Might work better broken up into a relational database under Access.

Site Timeline