64-core processor, a dream cpu or a nightmare monster ? =DDDD

I am drooling over the idea of having a C64 =D

Which in this case would be a C=computer 64=cores ! LOLOLOL.

I really want a 64-core computer, which would be capable of 128 threads.

I wanted such a parallel computer since 1999 or so, and it has taken this i ndustry almost 20 years to reach that and now maybe it will become true.

The number 64 is just magical.

32 bit system, 64 bit systems.

Commodore 64.

And with 64 cores it will be easy to do the following:

8x8 (2d) rendering or visualizations = 64.

4x4x4 = (3d) processing also 64.

These nice spatial distribution of cores could prevent additional software processing logic to work around odd numbers, in this case it fits so perfec t and beautifully it will lead to higher performance and more tight optimiz ations possibly.

That's why I as a programmer am so excited and hyped about this idea of per haps owning a 64 core processing dream/monster pc.

And yes the same effect can be achieved with just "64 multi threading" on n on-64-core machines, but it will just not be as cool/efficient as additiona l context switching will be necessary and that would suck somewhat.

With a true 64 core machine the 64-thread software should be able to run mo re efficient than other configurations.

Anyway, let me know the following:

  1. If you are hyped too for a 64-core processing monster.
  2. And if so let me know your reasons ?!

Can you think of reasons why a 64-core processor would be a dream ?!

Let me know your thoughts of it and about it.

I was started with an atari console then moved to a C64 (commodore).

And no I really want an AMD-X64-64 core processing monster.

But AMD is taking soooo lonnnggg to come out with something for consumers.

I hope it happens though... there are some rumors.

I know there are epyc 64 core monsters and rome 64 core monsters... though these either run very hot or run at 2.0 ghz... and possibly have more instr uctions in them then perhaps a consumer grade cpu not sure about that thoug h, or maybe even vice versa.

My dream processor would also be capable of at least 4.0 GHz on a single co re for old computer programs and games.

So if threadripper 3 can run at least 1 core at 4.0 ghz and then the others are 2.0 GHz or maybe 2 at 4.0 GHz and the rest at 2.0 GHz.

Or even 1 core at 5.0 GHz and the rest lower.

THAN I WOULD ABSOLUTELY BE OVER THE MOON OF JOY with such a thing/beast of a processor.

I will probably buy it and try to cool it no costs saved on cooling.

Such a beast will probably last for the next 20 years.

It might very well be the last computer I ever buy.

"The LAST PC" movie lol.

But maybe not though... maybe I will live long enough to buy another one... or perhaps there will be a spectacular development with quantum computers or sub-atomic particles...

But maybe a daughter card/extension card would be sufficient for a "quantum

-card".

I just cleaned my computer today... so less cleaning would be nice.

Not sure if water cooling will bring less cleaning or more cleaning work.

I have seen at least one video on youtube where the copper started oxiding and bactery started growing in water, maybe it's even more work to clean th at stuff out or not...

Some cleaning will probably be necessary for such a beast even with air coo ling.

Cleaning fans, blowing dust of heatsinks.

What kind of beast of a PC case will be capable of cooling a possible threa dripper 3 release with 64 cores ?!?

For now I expect AMD to release a 24 core and maybe a 32 core.

But I am going to shit myself with joy if a 64 core threadripper will come as well ! LOL.

It's too tempting for me to try a 64-core component. I MUST HAVE IT even if it burns up like a moth getting too close to the sun.

At least it was one hell of a ride.

But I will try and find a way too cool it, perhaps with your help, perhaps not ! ;) :)

I have seen some very nice corsair cooling solution with water for cpu and graphics card, it's a chore probably to build something like that... linus on youtube tried it had some leaks... hope it's not that bad.

But for a 64-core processor system with big fat titan or something like tha t in it. I am willing to go all the way to build a once-in-a-life-time, may be two-in-a-life-time or maybe even a three-in-a-life-time computer.

But as you can see and guessed it. I only pull out all the stops if it's wo rth the effort.

I am not going to do that for a shitty 4 or 8 core system lol. That don't f loat my boat.

Might be nice if it was passive but otherwise no deal.

I want my new system to be FUTURE proof/ready. I want it to be extensible.

I WANT IT TO HANDLE 2 TERRABYTES OF PURE MEMORY/RAM.

64 GB is a shithole in my tooth in just a few years... it's inadequate to s ay the least.

1 GB per core or something ?! BLEH.

Anyway I've also been thinking of maybe going with NETWORK ATTACHED storage .

Cause storage-shortage has ALWAYS HELD ME BACK and LIMITED ME in what I can do and run with my/on computer.

And this is starting to piss me off.

Stuffing a PC full with harddisks will obstruct airflow a bit, and makes th e harddisk dusty... which they can handle... but still.

By moving the harddisk storage into a seperate device it will at least not obstruct the mega-processor's airflow, and motherboard and graphics cards.

I am also thinking of going with external extensions like external-usb-flop py-disks and cd/dvd/blue-rom drives also for backwards compatibility.

I don't really use that stuff anymore but it's still fun to be able to read old stuff when the occasion arrives. Feels odd not to be able to do that, kinda horrific in way... I want it to be a dream. If I wanna boot some expe rimental OS from a floppy disk or cd-rom it would be nice if my computer ca n do that too.

Nowadays there is usb-booting probably sd-card booting and solid state disk booting.

I WANT A WHOLE LOT OF BOOTING options for my new computer, booting from ext ernal devices so my PC will be extendeable in the future with new experimen tal software without jeapodizing my existing install base.

Maybe I want to own some kind of BOX... where I can store all kinds of SD-c ards... so I can store software/data on them and have them nicely stored aw ay... without losing them or it become a big pile of floppy disks mountain ! LOL (sorted by labels ! =D)

The idea of expanding my computer's capabilities and thus my own capabiliti es by augmenting my PC with external devices is starting to become a bit mo re appealing to me....

Though there is the risk of loss of devices, phyiscal damage cause of dropp ing, and electrical sparks/surges of power/voltage differentials.... this m ight hold me back a bit in this regards... but it's kinda tempting..

Especially SD-cards... so far I have not experienced any significant electr ical discharges ?! Hopefully it stays like that ?!

So maybe SD-cards are the safest solution to adding additional storage spac e to computer.

Except these cards are so fricking tiny... they are easy to loose... hmmm.. but also nice to hide... for shady stuff.... but I don't have that much sh ady stuff LOL.

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with AMD promising so much.... via rumors perhaps... "yes we have a 64 core system" it's comming... at least... some how these rumors are being spread...

Perhaps this is an attempt to keep buyers away from the competition... in t hat case it's a dirty trick ! And just stop doing that !

But if AMD DOES release a 64-core threadripper before the end of the year ? !

THEN I WILL BE AMAZED AND BLOWN AWAY... even if it just runs at 2.0 GHz... but I have kinda already seen that with ROME ?! So that does not yet impres s... except that it can run on a consumer grade motherboard with entertainm ent options like build onboard audio... so that's interesting.

Gaming with 2.0 ghz can definetly be done with optimized operating system c onfigurations... but for the latest and greatest games, 4.0 GHz is probably necessary.

However I do see some game developers trying to off-load processing to mult iple cores to improve input-latency for gamers.

I also expect much more graphics effects to be computed on additional cores .

Plus new algorithms will become possible like, chemistry calculations for m aybe fire effects or explosions. And especially wear and tear/friction calc ulations.

Seen one new game engine/game with voxel graphics... for such a game frict ion calculations for voxels could be nice, allowing a new type of game to b ecome reality and to allow more realistic destruction of environments and s uch... interesting experimental game engine.

Personally I look kinda forward to giving simulated evolution a re-try with more processing power. Though it will probably still not be enough, which is kinda a bummer.... but at least there is some speed up... maybe it will be a bit better than expected and that might still be nice to go forward wi th some new evolution attempts. Already seen that it works somewhat at bact eria level... but I am curious and want to evolve some more complex digital live if possible at all... and more processing power will be necessary for that.

Alternative idea is to use some kind of "evolution-coin" or so and reward p articipants with coins for any contributions to evolution computation attem pts =D but it will have to be sha256 hashed... so that is kinda a bummer. .. and not sure how secure and usefull this will be, but might be great fun . This can be done for any system though, including my current dual-core AM D x2 3800+.

The longer I use my DreamPC from 2006 the more amazed I am at how well it s till holds up and how well it can still surf the internet and so forth.

On one hand it will be painfull to say goodbye to it... it will stay on my desk for a while probably to move files around and to maybe play some multi player game on both systems... but eventually it will probably have to or b e moved into storage area/spare parts section of my living space.

I HAVE TO DESIGN A DREAM/MONSTER PC THAT PUTS EVERYTING, and I do mean EVER YTING that came before it TO SHAME :PPP***** yes I know IT S PAINFULLL.

BUT THE REAL REASON IS:

THIS NEW DESIGN, THIS NEW PC, THIS NEW EXPERIENCE, MUST BE SOOOOOOOOOOO AWE SOME that it will SUBDUE the pain of saying goodbye to the old ONE.

_IT_ _MUST_ _BE_ _A_ _WORTHY_ _SUCCESSOR_ THAT blows the OLD ONE AWAY.

It's like BUYING A NEW GIRLFRIEND basically WHILE you still love your OLD O NE =D

THE NEW ONE must be 10x BETTER maybe 100x BETTER....

IT must be SO AWESOME... THAT IT WILL MAKE ME FORGET ABOUT THE OLD ONE....

THAT IT WILL MAKE THE OLD ONE LOOK LIKE A GRUMPY OLD ANNOYING BITCH even th ough I luved it somewhat.

This is a painfull problem I did not forsee when I build this DreamPC from

2006.

It's so dreamy, it's hard to say goodbye too... it's like ripping out my he art.

Even though I very desperately want more SPEED from SSD, more RAM to play n ewer games. MORE STORAGE space embedded for safety reasons and to do MORE.

Better colors for more GAME enjoyment and graphics and movie ENJOYMENT.

Additional/exquisite HDMI audio digital transmission for CRYSTAL CLEAR huma n voice lyrics in music and increased crispyness/sharpness in music product ions and game sounds even to the brink where it sounds so clear that one ca n clearly here it's synthetic from synthesizers... this is were analog does have a unique sound and makes it slightly less synthetic. But I am willing to say goodbye to the slightly warmer feel of ANALOG... for increased fide lty/quality of sound thanks to HDMI audio connections ! ;) :)

Then very maybe HDR... though I have heard some brightness complaints.

I also look very much forward to INCREASED monitor HERTZ refresh rate, from 60 or 70 all the way up to 100 or 120 or 140 Herts... for much more crispy /clean video rendering of games and reduces input lag for gaming which is n oticable during gaming even on 70 hz sometimes when fps spikes... and also slightly better competiveness vs other gamers =D or on par with them, tho ugh for now I do fine without it in some games ;)

Much increased FPS in old games, that be very cool, especially warcraft fro zen throne survical chaos 3.01p mod/map. Would be funny to see it run butte r smooth on 4.0 GHz ? I wonder if it actually can run smooth.

(Oh that reminds me I should try play company of heroes multiplayer with hi gher settings now that I have GT 1030 lol, it might still lag a bit but ok. .. better late than never lol. Not interested in this game anymore though.. . I became too good at it, and game little bit boring, however men of war a ssault squad might be a little bit more interesting to see it run butter sm ooth, though even this is a bit easy game with artillery and such ;) :P tho ugh it can be a though game too)

World of Warships... but necessity a game I play today ! I am amazed how mu ch optimizations went into this game to make it better over the years... an d it's truely an amazing multiplayer game. Perhaps it will get the "intel e mbree" raytrayicing improvements for shadows from World of Tanks were it's introduced recently. However I did take a look at this embree technology fr om intel and it seems mostly written in C/C++ with some macros here and the re that call special instructions for SSE or so. I would not be surprised i f this technology runs just perfectly fine on AMD systems as well or perhap s with slight little modifications for AMD specific instructions/macros.

However World of Warships is full of water, some sun light, lot's of metal of ships... and glass inside the ships. Therefore I think NVIDIA's raytraci ng technology RTX is a better choice for World of Warships, since it can al so do reflections and not just shadows. RTX will make World of Warships loo k far better than EMBREE at least that's my expectation for now. However RT X is nvidia only, while embree is more general purpose and can run basicall y on all systems.. and Wargaming the developers of WOWS are very keen on su pporting as many systems as possible. However maybe they will do something special for RTX or maybe not... Also Microsoft has Raytracing with DirectX

12... so that might be standardized in near future and more systems might s tart supporting it and probably will and thus eventually this raytracing te chnology might become main stream and thus I think we will end up seeing it in this game sometime in the future.

This is an example of a developer that is definetly trying to utilize more cores as they become more available/main stream.

Then there is the playstation 5 rumored to come out with (only) 8 cores... perhaps much more easy to cool. But I have seen mobile phones with 8 cores.

Really, ?! Is this the best you can do sony ?!? Just 8 cores ?!? For me tha t would kinda be disappointing... How long is this console supposed to last 5 years ? 10 years ?! Don't know about that... but that's there decision.

Maybe make this playstation "extenseable" so that gamers can plug in a modu le to add additional cores... cause the "core-race" seem to be ON and in fu ll swing ! ;) :)

Ofcourse software/games and such have to be developed for it, it has to be possible... but for now I have seen some improvement in this area.... and i t's become more real almost every day or at least weekly/monthly basis or s o, maybe yearly... but there are plenty of titles out there that require 4 cores as a minimum or so... and this will start to ramp up somewhat :)

Anyway let's take finally a glimpse into the future.

Maybe 64-core will become the new standard... like 64-bit computing is now the defacto/default/standard. For reasons explained above, this could be a sweet spot and a very nice spot to be in ! I for one welcome it ! ;) :)

For competitors I shall leave one last bit of advise, perhaps diversify you r CPUs with more diverse LEVEL 1 cache sizes.

It's definetly possible that a CPU with 64 KB L1 cache or 128 L1 cache migh t be more attractive for certain buyers than a CPU with only 32 KB L1 cache .

It will depend somewhat on the number of cores vs the speed up that a bigge r cache might/will give for certain algorithms and applications. This will make it much harder to choose which CPU is best for the job:

  1. The one with bigger L1 caches and therefore increased thread performance thanks to less main ram memory latencies.

or

  1. The one with smaller L1 caches but more cores but also more stalls becau se of main ram memory latencies... This is where maybe hyperthreading might work around some of those stalls, not sure how well hyperthreading or SMT works in this regards ?! Anybody wanna shed some light on this ? ;)

Finally let me know your thoughts on the "coolability" of a 64-core consume r grade processing monster/cpu ?! =D ;)

This post long and futuristic enough for now so I am ending right now right her e! ;) :)

Bye for now, Skybuck ! ;) :) =D

And may the CORES BE WITH YOU ! ;) =D LOL.

Reply to
skybuck2000

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:33138f86-e1fd-4bc1-872b- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are an absolute know nothing. And that is particularly true about computers.

You need more than two working neurons to post on the Internet, child. You do not qualify.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You a programmer. Yeah... sure.

You can't even program a news reader to NOT post here.

OFF TOPIC. Take it elsewhere, IDIOT!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:33138f86-e1fd-4bc1-872b- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

389 lines of your retarded rambling.

Please, SkyTard Getting Worse.

Make it Bye for good.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Sounds to me like 64 times the PITA of a normal computer so I'm going with the "nightmare monster" option.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom