6.0 volt SLA- Is it dead ?

I have a 6 volt 4.5 mah SLA battery.

I have been charging it for 10 hrs. at 500 ma.

The battery powers (2) 1000 lumen lights for my bicycle.

When I powered up the lights, they are pretty dim.

Is there a load test I can do to see if the battery is dead ?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
Andy K

I assume they used to be lit brightly by this same battery?

I think you have done it. What are the voltages on the battery when you charge it, when nothing is connected and when the lights are on it?

--

Rick
Reply to

You need to test the battery voltage; if it is 6V nominal, it should be 6 to 7V fully charged with no load, and 6V or so with a 500 mA load (like, a bicycle headlamp). From your charge regimen, I'm assuming the battery is a 4.5Ah battery (ampere-hours, not mAh, milliamp-hours).

Reply to
whit3rd

6.72 volts with no load.

I will check it with a load.

Andy

Reply to
Andy K

if it was 4.5mAh it's dead now!

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Just making up some numbers...

2000lumens at 100 lumens/watt = 20 watts/6V = 3.something amps. This assumes that the lamps really are 2000 lumen. Most reviews suggest that most lights are way less than advertised brightness.

Factor in some inefficiencies and call it 4+ amps. You need a bigger battery.

Depending on how long you want the lights to run, you won't be happy with any lead-acid battery.

Just measure the volts with the lights on and off.

Reply to
mike

measure v drop on the wiring, measure terminal voltage on and off load.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr