5Mbaud serial to USB converter?

Hi

Anyone know of a converter which will read 5Mbaud async serial into a PC via USB? Some FTDI parts will do 12 or 3Mbaud, but it's not obvious to me if they can be set to 5Mbaud.

The 5Mbaud is a fixed requirement.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Den tirsdag den 21. januar 2014 17.45.09 UTC+1 skrev Syd Rumpo:

can't be sure without trying but I think from this:

that you can get 12MHz/2.375 ~= 5.052Mbaud so about 1% off

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Using a microcontroller with CDC usb to serial it is a piece of cake.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Thanks, Lasse. I read that but found it rather confusing, so a second opinion is very useful.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Yes, If I have to start baking my own...

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Fastest I've seen is Keyspan USA-28XG. It was intended for differential send/receive (not just RS-232) and supported very high transfer speeds (1 Mbit). I doubt the highest speed was for asynchronous, more likely self-clocked serial. Alas, it's a no-longer-supported product.

5Mbaud serial? Sounds like you need to custom-design. Maybe to Ethernet instead of USB? USB is software-moderated with the PC as a master, if you care about dropping packets there's buffering problems ahead!
Reply to
whit3rd

Fortunately, the PC side is Somebody Else's Problem, but I have done this with 12Mbaud async into an FTDI part.

[Slightly tricky as the only available clock for the async side was 16MHz, so a CPLD generated 12Mbaud using both clock edges and differing numbers of 1/32MHz periods to make the bits.]

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo