55v ceramic caps

I need to run some 1206 ceramic caps at 55 volts or so, as bypasses, and I have a 4.7U 50V part in stock.

Capacitance drops to 0.42 uF at 50 volts, where leakage is about 100 nA. At 200 volts, it's 250 nA, and at 300 it's 1.5 uA. I have a couple soaking at 300 volts.

Looks OK to me.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Interesting. I guess it's Y5V type. Can you disclose the part number?

Our derating rules, mostly copied from the JPL ones, defines max 80% allowed voltage stress

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Ceramic cap voltage ratings seem to be more determined by the c-v curve than breakdown.

400 volts, 7 uA. It finally died at 480.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

4.7u +/- 91%. Based on your data what voltage would you rate the cap at?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

This guy at NASA came to a similar conclusion. Interesting!

VR in low-voltage MLCCs is controlled by polarization processes in the
dielectric, and is not related to breakdown voltages.

VR is a technical parameter chosen so that voltage dependent
characteristics and reliability remain within the specified limits
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Either 2.5 or 100, I guess.

lunatic fringe electronics

Really good paper!

lunatic fringe electronics

Also by time. HV failures are cumulative where the part deteriorates with the number of exposures and total time. That is why in med tech we have a very limited time to do hipot testing in production.

If you left it at 400V for a few weeks it might have failed as well.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

A capacitor manufacturer told me you could put ceramic caps in series without resistors.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

At 300 volts, the current seemed stable for hours, but some sort of electromigration might be going on. I guess I could run one for weeks. The cute little Bertan HV supply is rarely used around here.

I think these 50V caps are OK at 55 volts. I hate to add new parts to stock.

lunatic fringe electronics

Leakage is nonlinear on voltage for this kind of hi-K dielectric, so they probably self-equalize.

Aluminum electrolytics are similar.

lunatic fringe electronics

Den torsdag den 20. juli 2017 kl. 17.42.22 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

but the cap with the smallest capacitance will have the highest voltage with which will cause it's capacitance to drop, maybe

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

allowed voltage stress

I ran AWDs at about 120v for a research project, they were fine for a fair while but deteriorated badly over time, but they were only 30v rated. Ceram ic caps are very reliable at rated V, so I don't see you getting into troub le there. I wouldn't be so confident with 100v.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 4:32:27 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: ...

Thanks John - useful measurements.

One problem I found when measuring the value of ceramic caps under bias is that the capacitance value is bias voltage history dependent - after being under bias it may take hours or days for the value at low voltage to return to the original measured value.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

allowed voltage stress

I ran AWDs at about 120v for a research project, they were fine for a fair while but deteriorated badly over time, but they were only 30v rated. Ceram ic caps are very reliable at rated V, so I don't see you getting into troub le there. I wouldn't be so confident with 100v.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yikes, more complexity.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

What's wrong with some decent 100V parts in stock?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Every new line is more money & space tied up. I like to specify ranges for values rather than fixed values where it makes no significant difference.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Den onsdag den 19. juli 2017 kl. 23.01.23 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

put two in series and be done with it

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

We don't have any in stock. Adding a part to our inventory is a nuisance; better to use what we already have reels of.

It makes design a little more challenging/fun.

lunatic fringe electronics