Subject Author Posted Replies

incredible cop-out
They don't mention the real hazards, SCR latchup and charge-spraying effects that mess up the chip functions. Incredible!
2
2

Travel Advisory
The Transportation Security Administration wants you to enjoy your holiday by assuring you that all necessary heightened security standards have been implemented, and by taking note that, in the event...
10
10

CMOS logic directly powered from mains
I've seen this done in a few appliances. What's the cheapest way? Is there a reliable way? Is it possible to get a little charge from a pickup of some kind positioned near a large voltage source, like...
55
55

Filament pre-warm resistor
Playing around with a Numitron tube, driving the filaments from a uP outputs. Here's the relevant data: Most lamp driver IC datasheets recommend a filament pre-warm resistor to reduce "thermal shock."...
1
1

FET 200V, <20mOhms, SO8, under $0.70?
Folks, Got a need for a FET and this one is almost ideal except for its 150V abs max rating which in our case is marginal: Does anyone know such a FET in 200V or better? Must be same or lower price...
10
10

MCP6001 Spice Model Posted
MCP6001 Spice Model Posted... See MCP6001_JT.zip on the Device Models & Subcircuits Page of my website. ...Jim Thompson
3
3

New Filters in Thunderbird
I've created filters in Thunderbird before and I seem to recall there is a way to start a filter based on the current message... but I can't find it to save my life. A search of Mozilla help doesn't...
3
3

RGB LEDs off PCB -- ideas?
All, 1.) I have 3 RGB LEDs (Red, Green and Blue) that I have on my printed circu it board. 2.) Each LED is getting 3.3V, has a current limiting resistor and get's con nected to my microcontroller to...
11
11

Semi OT: Botnet of CCTV cameras
Supposedly 25k WiFi-enabled CCTV cameras that were compromised used to launch a DDoS attack on an online jewelry retailer: Reminds me of a teardown of a D-Link WiFi home automation box that ran Linux...
5
5

BT stereo headset (w/ mic) recommendations
I need *two* different recommendations: One for a reasonably high fidelity stereo headset ("over the ears") (not interested in "paying for a name", though) The other, a "low cost" unit -- the sort of...
8
8

Jumper to replace Inductor
I want to use a linear regulator on a board where a buck switcher had been designed in. No problem on the chip, there are thousands with a compatible footprint for this TSOP-5 package. I need to...
44
44

iHome docks
I've had three friends approach me to "look at" their (failing) iHome iPod docking stations (they typically are clock radios to which an iPod can be mated). I've "begged off" on each of these requests...
15
15

Survivorship bias in engineering
You don't add armor plate to the areas of the returning bombers that were the most often shot up in the examples you have to work with, you add it to the areas where they're undamaged. Any other...
34
34

OT: Common Enemies
OT: Common Enemies.... ...Jim Thompson
3
3

Atmel Bought by Microchip
Not sure how I missed this one for two months. I see there is already some serious contention with Atmel employees. I wonder what it will be like for the sales force to be selling PICs, AVRs and ARMs...
109
109