Subject Author Posted Replies

Internet Telephone
Does a simple Internet telephone interface exist? I think perhaps not, or not at a cost less than $200. Google finds plenty of devices, but most have complexities I just don't want. Let me explain and...
87
87

Intel
and same thing here and Some day someone will write a really good book about the rise and fall of Intel, and the effect of Intel on creating the predatory culture of Silicon Valley. Intel has clung...
19
19

Momentary > 5 seconds > Latch
I'll probably end up getting a 50 cent PIC and do this but screwed around with a 4011, a latching SCR -- 555 trying to do it with minimum parts count. Just curious if you (experts) come up with...
29
29

Domestic US source for small quantity of CA3127 transistor array?
I'm looking for one or two of these arrays for a small home project. Yes, I know they're available from China on eBay, but I'd much rather find a couple of vintage (and authentic and working) parts...
18
18

Semi OT: Detroit leads the way in EV technology
Tesla is fun to watch, but GM has the clout to bring inexpensive long-range electric vehicles to the masses. In general, compared to what Tesla and GM have in the pipeline, the EV offerings by the...
109
109

LHC Black Holes
I was explaining black holes to a friend who asked about the LHC and thought about what might happen if a tiny black hole were created. I believe matter falling into a microscopic black hole would...
150
150

jitter on SPI interface and clock-domains
Hi, I am currently again learning some more VHDL and the exercise project I am working on now is to implement SPI slave. This is to be used in combination with a STM32F103 maple mini clone. Question....
15
15

Maximum current for analog switch
Say I use an analog switch like this one to drive a capacitance or rather the gate of a FET to turn it on with 5V and turn it off shunting to 0V It's a 20 ohms part if driven from 5V The gate has...
53
53

TE - Quick disconnect power connectors for heavy gauge cables
For those of you doing high current stuff. 4 AWG to 3/0 Kind of pricey though < > < >
19
19

Measuring radius of spherical cap
I can only access part of it. But, have a fairly large surface area to work with (about a 3" diameter slice). How can I get a *reasonably* good estimate of its actual radius? I thought, perhaps, a...
47
47

satellites
This is really cool: http://stuffin.space/ use the mouse roller to zoom, and click-hold to spin around.
12
12

OT: Random question for the physics guys
Re-watching some of this series with the SO and, cuz I'm a nerd the question occurred to me: Is an object falling through the lower atmosphere at terminal velocity as massive as the Galactica creating...
33
33

Triacs vs. Relays
In a (very) recent project, I have successfully used a tiny triac[1] in a mains voltage switching role. 40 years ago I'd have used a relay for this and I can't think of any alternative in those days....
38
38

Open source VHS: how would you do it?
As a budding member of the Obsolete Interfaces Mafia, I'm always on the lookout for ways to implement things no-one is using anymore. Some time ago, I found a video on YouTube of someone driving...
47
47

home-made VNA
I saw this recently: One thing I like about it is that it drives the LO port of the mixer with square waves which should work better (more linear output amplitude vs. input amplitude and more stable...
1
1