Subject Author Posted Replies

TE - Quick disconnect power connectors for heavy gauge cables
For those of you doing high current stuff. 4 AWG to 3/0 Kind of pricey though < > < >
19
19

Measuring radius of spherical cap
I can only access part of it. But, have a fairly large surface area to work with (about a 3" diameter slice). How can I get a *reasonably* good estimate of its actual radius? I thought, perhaps, a...
47
47

satellites
This is really cool: http://stuffin.space/ use the mouse roller to zoom, and click-hold to spin around.
12
12

OT: Random question for the physics guys
Re-watching some of this series with the SO and, cuz I'm a nerd the question occurred to me: Is an object falling through the lower atmosphere at terminal velocity as massive as the Galactica creating...
33
33

Triacs vs. Relays
In a (very) recent project, I have successfully used a tiny triac[1] in a mains voltage switching role. 40 years ago I'd have used a relay for this and I can't think of any alternative in those days....
38
38

Open source VHS: how would you do it?
As a budding member of the Obsolete Interfaces Mafia, I'm always on the lookout for ways to implement things no-one is using anymore. Some time ago, I found a video on YouTube of someone driving...
47
47

home-made VNA
I saw this recently: One thing I like about it is that it drives the LO port of the mixer with square waves which should work better (more linear output amplitude vs. input amplitude and more stable...
1
1

OT: A little ray of hope for the day...
A little ray of hope for the day... ...Jim Thompson
52
52

OT: You peasants are just too dumb to understand...
Bill Clinton: You peasants are just too dumb to understand... ...Jim Thompson
4
4

fast isolated signaling with photodiode matched pairs
Has anyone made an isolated linear signal circuit using photodiode matched pairs? As in AoE III, Figure 12.88.D, page 848, and Fig 12.90, page 849? We list in Fig 12.88 the HCNR201, IL300 and LOC110....
16
16

GU 19 Bayonet mount mechanical dimensions
Could some electronics guru please help me with this odd problem. I am trying to get hold of the mechanical dimensions of the GU 10 bayonet mount light bulb mount. Apparently, this type of light bulb...
2
2

Making waves
Way back when I did grad physics and EM theory, we learned that you could make radio waves by waggling electrons up and down in a piece of wire. Nothing much has changed, we still do it. And its still...
18
18

Microcontroller PLLs
Hi, folks:- There's not a lot of information on the inner workings of PLLs used inside microcontrollers such as SAME70 to generate internal and externally available clocks. Does anyone happen to know...
1
1

My Ebay score
Got this one on Ebay this week. No big deal. BUT, the seller/owner is Bernard Goetz. He was one of my heroes back in the mid 80s. He now owns a company (mostly used T&M equipment, I think) called...
17
17

OT: Avoiding Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia
Just keep working! Keep mentally active one way or another. It's the single most important thing you can do.
24
24