500 $ for a HDMI cable?

Seems same things as gold plated audio cables...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

In all fairness, not many people are buying 25 foot cables. Walmart would need to make a decent profit since they don't sell that many. But the general consensus of the article is correct. HDMI cables are way overpriced.

Fry's sell them for $1.99 every once in a while. Shaxon brand. They seem to work.

I've used Monoprice. Their stuff works too. Digital doesn't seem to be too fussy.

Reply to
miso

Did you read the article? That was $500 for a 3-foot cable. Mind you, it IS long-grain copper.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Did it happen to mention how much (oxygen) in it?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

..

Yes, go to audioquest.com and read the fabulous audioquest story. Apparently he was the inspiration for the Monster Cable guy. But a Best Buy house brand he is not.

Companies like his respond to the rich man's need to have the best available. The rich man's time is better spent making money than reading product reviews.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

l...

Fry's is deep in the consumer electronics biz. Walmart cherry picks the market. If Walmart has to price boxes competitively,they sure don't have to price addons competitively.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

...as compared with the high price going AGAINST the grain?

Reply to
Robert Baer

That's an EXTRA $500...

Reply to
Robert Baer

l...

after reading the history of 'monster' then you'll really enjoy 'blue jeans' response to their intimidation.

Reply to
Robert Macy

..

wow, did you see how many people rated that cable?

Reply to
Robert Macy

A fool who parties is soon broke.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On a sunny day (Sat, 16 Jun 2012 07:36:37 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Robert Macy wrote in :

Yes, last night it was zero. But make no mistake, you buy one for about 2$, and if only ONE persons falls for the 500 then you have 498 $ pocket money. So have patience.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yeah, and the plastic on the bottom of my skis is long chain polymer too.

Big whoop.

The best thing it had going for it, if anything was that it was Silver plated. That STILL doesn't make it worth that price.

You want to figure it out? Find out what the smallest media a single run is passed over in military gear. Then find out about the best source for the best COTS based compliant multi-run cable. Then find the best connectors. Then perform the best quality assembly. Voila.

Tally up the costs, and then your personal time, and you probably pay as much as the "Monster" family charges.

I'll still take the cheap stuff for std hdmi, and the cheapest of the baseline compliance for the newer 3D hdmi std.

But you do get good wire and parts from these guys, just not at the right price, and the increase for a simple addition of footage is even worse glaring greed.

Were I to do a build for a customer home, they would get whatever they wanted to put into place, and that would all get refined during the requirements analysis.

But I could also always show them how they cannot tell the difference between the two in a real world viewing circumstance with high res high rate streams. Leaving price all that matters for most value conscious consumers.

Their are "audiophool" dopes out there who think their power cord matters too. And pay thousands more for "line conditioners". It is truly amazing.

If I had a time machine, I would go back to the late sixties and hoard tons of every vacuum tube ever made, and especially those these dopes are paying huge bucks for.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Yet another idiot who thinks that is a major factor.

You show us yet more of how much you lack.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

More appalling than their history is their behavior toward ANY company which names themselves or ANY product with ANYthing even close to the word monster.

They are truly pathetic.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers

Well that proves what just about every one else here suspected.

You're a blooming idiot..

Jamie.

Reply to
Jamie

I don't justify the insane price. But I don't expect the 25 ft cables to be as competitively priced as those $1.99 6ft cables.

Reply to
miso

My sarcasm sensor works quite well. I got the joke. The Carpet Crawler dude...not so much.

Reply to
miso

In defense of Monster and Audioquest, audio cables used to be really crappy until the high end market materialized. Now of course their stuff is grossly overpriced, but we can thank them for making the low end of the market improve their qualify.

Think back to t that cheap gray vinyl jacketed crap we used to use for audio. They skimped on the plasticizers, so the cable would crack at the plug. There weren't even strain reliefs.

Reply to
miso