50 Gigohm Resistor?

I had the experience of looking at a circuit board with a resistor marked 50G, indicating 50,000 Megohms. One of the resistor leads was mounted on a teflon pad since the resistance of the board would probably be a good portion of 50 Gigs.

Any idea what application would make use of a resistor so high?

-Bill

Reply to
wrongaddress

To work with small currents, of course. I have resistors to 1T in my inventory. When using these I find that air is better than teflon.

Sometimes one has to replace the resistor with a capacitor, if you get my drift.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

One application is a feedback resistor for a transimpedance amp for a photodiode.

Steve Noll | The Used Equipment Dealer Directory: |

| Peltier Information Directory: |

Steve Noll

Hello Win,

And after turning it on, don't breathe :-)

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Wouldn't that be more than the resistance of air?

I think your reading it wrong. I think the highest resistors only make it to 10's of Meg, and not 1000's

www.interfacebus.com

15M, occasionally 18M is usually the highest readily available value. Anything higher I'd count under boutique parts. Might be needed for highly specialized measurements but should not be used in day to day designs IMHO.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

** Wrong:

Condenser microphones typically use 1Gohm resistors to bias the capsule and FET preamp.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In article , Steve Noll wrote: [... 50G ....]

I can imagine a situation where you'd want one that high on a transimpedance amp. Consider an op-amp with a 1nA bias current.

50E9 * 1E-9 = 50V

That's more offset voltage than the Vcc limit of most op-amps.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Nah, 50G is not all that high.

(SMT parts up to 300G in 0603)

(up to 100T = 100,000,000 Megohms)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

In article , Phil Allison wrote: [...]

I know one design uses quite a bit more than even that.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Are there distributors who carry either of these guys parts?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

"Ken Smith"

** How mysterious .........

What does it take to get you to spill the beans ??

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I've built photodiode transimpedance amps using as high as 100G-ohm resistors before. It takes some care, but is definitely do-able. It's interesting and dramatic to watch the offsets decrease when the box containing the circuit is flushed with dry nitrogen.

Steve Noll | The Used Equipment Dealer Directory: |

| Peltier Information Directory: |

Steve Noll

But you can look! 1V/1Tohm = 6 Millions electrons per s. Your eyes are sensitive to a few hundreds photons per s. For a particle physicist 1 Tohm is shortcut.

Reply to
Sven Wilhelmsson

Punny!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Of the more common hi-R resistors, note that DigiKey and Mouser carry the various Ohmite series; to 5,000Megs and 20KV rating at 1% and 5%. ...and Ohmite is not the only maker...

Reply to
Robert Baer

22 meg was readily available in the old carbon comp days in 5%, 10% and 20%.
prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Meggitt electronic components, do 0805 SMD cermet resistors, in a range from 15M, to 50G. Maybe even further than this, but this is the highest I have used. The tolerance, is only 30% on the higher values, and with slightly worse than normal temperature coefficients, but readily available (at least in the UK - both RS, and Farnell do them).

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

"Spehro Pefhany" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

And if that isn't enough, you can always put a bunch in series ;)

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)