47uf decoupling caps?!

Hi - I'm currently working on designing a board around the Acam TDC-GPX time to digital converter chip. I've run into something which I found to be incredibly odd. They reccomend 47uf caps on almost every single vdd line. 12 in all. See page 54 (second to last page) of the datasheet for the drawing I'm referring to:

They reccomend use of Taiyo-Yuden LMK325BJ476MM, which is a 1210 47uf cap available at digikey at the price of $34.10/10 caps. Thus for a single board I would be using about $40 in just decoupling caps!!

Typically, when I design a board, I put a .1uf 0603 ceramic on every single supply pin of every IC, and then a single 10uf tantalum/ic on the more sensitive ICs. My understanding was that this was more or less the standard way to deal with decoupling.

So anyways - I'm starting to lay out this board - and these 12 1210s are really getting in my way. They are making my life very difficult. I'm trying to keep this as just a 2 layer board - but I'm not sure if I can do it with all these damn 1210s all over the place.

My question is this: are such huge capacitors necessary? Are they even worth it? The sales engineer for the distributor we purchased these chips through didn't seem to have a good idea one way or the other. My personal understanding was that it was better to have small but very low esr caps on the supply pins, as opposed to really large capacity, higher esr caps like these 1210s.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions,

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Noone

Certainly seems overkill. Looking at the Icc specs, I would think you would be fine with your normal technique, but of course this advice is worth what you have paid for it :)

I would note that smaller caps give better high frequency decoupling anyway.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

I find this a very interesting post. A month or so ago I took a workshop in high speed digital circuit design and learned a lot about power supply decoupling. Basically everything you may think you know is wrong. This guy is a consultant with more years than I have and that is a lot. His experience has pretty much all been in doing high speed circuit board design and everything he said was supported by an explanation of the theory, simulation data and actual board test results. So it is hard to argue with him.

He has data that shows that the rule of thumb of 0.1 uF cap per power pin is way far over kill. In fact, the real high speed decoupling is done by the power planes alone. The high speed noise can not be smoothed by the caps simply because of their intrinsic inductance. Further when they couple with the power plane capacitance, they really do create a parallel resonance which *increases* the impedance at certain frequencies.

His approach is to use closely spaced power and ground planes to create a low impedance path at high frequencies. Then use a few 0.1 caps, a few more 0.01 caps and a few more 0.001 caps. Of course the smaller the package the better, but it is important to use parts that do not have *too low* a value of ESR. The ESR will not affect the performance of the caps, but it will minimize the peak of the parallel resonances between all the different parts.

I think if you were to do a simulation of the effect of using 47 uF

1210 caps you will find that they may work great below a couple of MHz, but have way too high inductance to be useful at anything over 50 MHz or so, perhaps much less. The point is that *all* capacitors have enough parasitic inductance to be inductive at the frequencies of interest. This in itself is not bad, but it means the impedance is going up with frequency and larger caps really won't work well at all for high frequency decoupling. They are only needed for low frequency work and because of that it does not matter where you put them.
Reply to
rickman

Are you sure you need such a high-performance device? This thing will measure time durations with over 6 digits of precision at a resolution of 27 pico-seconds, but only by regulating the power supply to compensate the variable internal time delays, using a phase-locked loop synchronized to a crystal oscillator! It is definitely not a "standard" decoupling situation.

If you really need the precision you should be ready to shell out for the caps, and for a multi-layer board too - the data sheet recommends a ground plane.

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Wow. It all depends on what frequency range and impedance you want the power supply to be able to supply.

Usually 47uF capacitors are going to be good for providing very low impedances at relatively low frequencies. 47uF is going to be series resonant and therefore useless above 100KHz to 1MHz or so. So they'd be good in a say SMPS running at 50KHz and say 10 amps. But darn near useless in the megahertz region.

Are you sure they didnt mean to write NANO-farads? But even 47nF is going to resonate in the tens of MHz, which is fine for medium-speed designs maybe, but not for anything exotic.

For the best bypassing, you need a layered approach, with like 1nF as close as possible to the IC, then 10nF an inch away, then maybe 100nF per row.

For sensitive designs yo have to ignore that very general rule-of-thumb and analyze the power busses as an electrical network.

I'd look very carefully at the di/dt rates around the IC and outfit it with capacitors capable of supplying those rates at the noise margins you need. Just throwing big caps at it is not going to give you optimum results.

For really fussy designs you even have to consider adding a smidgen of series resistance with the caps, so the spike and noise energy gets dissipated instead of ringing the parasitic LC networks.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Hi Joe - the precision of the TDC-GPX is necessary.

My question is whether or not they will improve things at all - if they really are necessary. From what I know of decoupling, they will decrease performance, not improve it. But like you said - it's not a typical decoupling situation.

Thanks,

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Noone

OH, I should have looked at the datasheet first before typing.

This is no typical IC!

It's quite possible this IC needs those funny capacitors, as the Vcc line isnt being used in a normal way-- they're modulating Vcc with the voltage regulator! And they mention you better use the LM117, as they're probably depending on some quirk of its characteristics.. Yipes.

And they may be specing those funny 47uF caps because that's what worked for them. They're likely depending on some undocumented amount of ESR of those caps to just so happen act as nice R-C dampers for their modulated Vcc bus.

In a perfect world, they would have done a full-bore AC analysis and shown it in the datasheet or app notes. Maybe they did or maybe they didnt, or maybe the datasheet writer tossed out all the analysis and detailed design info. Or maybe they just kept adding capacitors of various sizes and types until the thing didnt oscillate any more.

When I see a spec sheet like this one, I usually think, very interesting, but way too hairy for me.

BTW Are you up to speed on designing PC traces that can carry xx picosecond risetimes without smearing and ringing? The chip is only going to be able to do its job if you can deliver clean edges. This means impedance compatible striplines or maybe micro-coax.

I'd ask those folks if they have a reference design PC board-- designing picosecond circuits is mighty hairy. Anything under 5 nsec and I start to tremble.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

See fig 9. This chip looks to be fairly sensitive to Vcc, which means that jitter will be high if it's not bypassed pretty hard. And if it's typical of this sort of chip, Icc will vary a lot with activity.

Things like this really deserve to be on multilayer boards. With ps-resolution logic inputs and cmos outputs, it's not hard to add enough noise, ground bounce, and power supply noise to wreck the time resolution.

I'd suggest a 4 or 6-layer board with ground and power planes, and use the big caps at first, until you can evaluate whether they're really necessary in your application.

What are you making?

John

Well the TDC-GPX is far from a 'standard' chip. Acam also strongly recommend against using switchmode power supplies for it.

Unless you are prepared to do the development work to determine how different decoupling schemes affect the chip performance I would take their recommendations seriously. You could of course ask Acam for more recommendations.

I presume this isn't a cheap chip, the capacitors are not cheap, I don't think I would trying to skimp on PCB layers to save a few bucks.

I also presume this is not your design and you are just doing PCB layout, doesn't the designer have something to say about it?

Reply to
nospam

Those caps are ceramic X7R ESR will be quite low.

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to

Why? ESL depends on case size, not capacitance.

John

Problem with multilayer boards is two fold:

  1. the software I use can only do two layers, unless I want to buy the full version (currently using free version of Cadsoft's Eagle)
  2. multilayer boards are quite expensive. I currently get my boards through advanced pcb with their student each special program -
  • shipping for a 2 layer board with 5 day turn around. I expect cost for a 4 or 6 layer board would be at least a couple hundred dollars.

Oddly enough - I'm making two different things, both will use this board:

  1. A device that can measure the time between pulses on a single line. The pulses come in on this line every couple nanoseconds to microseconds. The pulses are about 20-50ns long as I recall. By measuring the time between them this device will be generating, apparently, pure random data. It will be an integral part of a ultra high speed random number generator for use in quantum cryptography. I don't understand any of the quantum stuff - I'm just an EE guy.
  2. scanning laser rangefinder. We'll be using it to do time of flight measurements on pulses being sent by a laser that is on a rotating gimbal so that it can do 3D scans of an area.

So I'm wondering - I was told that the only really sensitive lines are the VDDC lines. Maybe it would be OK if I just used these caps on those lines, and then used normal .1uf on the rest? I think I could fit that into two layers pretty easily.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Noone

I asked the sales engineer for the US Acam distributor - and he didn't seem to have a strong opinion on the matter. This was his response when I asked him about the caps:

"The capacitors on Page 15 of the datasheet indicate that all the power supply capacitors are 47 uF. This is quite a lot of capacitors, and I'm sure it takes up a lot of space. Here are a couple of options. First, if you have the space, you can layout the board so as to have all the capacitors placed. Once you have a GPX prototype board working, you can experiment by adding or subtracting capacitors to see what effect it has. Also, you can experiment with different values or different vendors as well. Second, if you don't have the space, you can place as many capacitors as possible around the GPX. If the 1210 package size is too big, you could substitute 1206, 0805, or even 0603 packages."

Nearly $200 in single quantities. I'm sure glad I'm not paying the bill! :)

It is my design, actually.

Thanks,

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Noone

Hi Mike,

Look at Fig. 9. The timing of the device is almost directly inversely proportional to the power supply voltage - a power supply rejection ratio of 1:1. If you want to maintain the timing precision to one part in a million, you'll need a power supply with comparable precision. The phase-locked loop and the LM317 can maintain this precision over the long term, but over the very short term (where your measurements are occurring), the control-loop is just coasting and the caps are doing all the regulation.

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Unless these chips draw huge and long current spikes, this has to be over kill. For ordinary digital design, the inductance of the caps and their connections is a lot more important than the value of the capacitors.

If you can get one end of the capacitor right against the chip pin, and use a pair of vias, one on each side of the ground end of the capacitor, you should be able to get away with much smaller caps. Oh, and avoid Z5U and Y5V dielectrics. These pack so much capacitance into such small metal area, that the resistance of the metal, itself can get high enough to lower the effectiveness of the bypass.

You can get a Panasonic 0805 10 uF, 10 V X5R dielectric cap for $0.79 each, from Digikey, and it is advertised to have an ESR of .003 ohms. I doubt there is any advantage going any larger than that, and considerably smaller would probably be okay, also. If you can make a layout that takes that, you can populate the first board with .1 uF or 1 uF caps and if trouble shows up, increase the size up to 10 uF.

Reply to
John Popelish

The only way to find out is to built the board and experiment.

Very high speed boards do demand rather more than the 0.1uF per device and 10uF tantalum that you find on most boards.

Keep in mind that the 10uF tantalum probably works as damping resistors rather than a capacitor - they tend to have pretty vile ESR's.

The Taiyo-Yuden parts seems to be a bit better than that.

If the data sheet calls for twelve 47uF parts from a specific supplier, you are well advised to start off with that.

Keep in mind that application engineers aren't infallible - I once slavishly copied an Analog Devices application circuit intended to produce very stable reference voltage outputs, only to find that the reference outputs oscillated - easy enough to fix with a couple of extra components, but distinctly irritating. Happily, we needed a second go-around on the layout for several other reasons ...

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

What does this chip do anyway...what is a time to digital converter?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I didn't look in detail at how the chip works but I'm sure it doesn't work like that.

It has a 40MHz clock and I guess a chain of something like 300 81ps silicon delay lines. On the 40MHz clock edge it can look at how many delay lines a signal transition got through and so determine where within that 40MHz clock cycle the signal transition occurred. That part of the precision depends on the silicon delay and associated power supply sensitivity and is about 1 part in 300, the rest of the precision comes from the 40MHz clock.

Also 47u capacitors are recommended on all the supply pins while only 2 supply pins carry the controlled delay line supply.

When you are trying to measure with 10's of ps resolution signals which probably have 1000ps rise and fall times switching thresholds changing with supply line noise would likely result in significant measurement jitter. I suspect that is why they want to keep all the supplies as quiet as possible.

Noise on the measured signals would be even worse which is why the OP should be worried about everything else the measured signals touch on the way to the chip not about skimping on capacitors and PCB layers (assuming he really would like to get the precision the chip is theoretically capable of).

Reply to
nospam

gEDA's PCB is free, and can do as many layers as you need, as big a board as you need.

pcbpool can do single 4-layer boards for around a hundred bucks, depending on size and turnaround time. You can omit the silkscreen to save even more. A minimum-price 4 layer board (16 in2, no silk, 8 days) is $75.50 plus $10 S&H. They allow panels, too.

If you need more than one, pcbex can do five for around $160, again depending on size and turnaround time.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Good points, but I think the PLL's controlled oscillator is used for the time-base and it depends on a delay line too.

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris