400V 500A inverter

Engineers anywhere and everywhere often have a wry sense of humor. The rest of the English on the page seems pretty good. Better than many native English speakers write in e.g. job applications, matter of fact.

Well whaddya want from a bunch of "Communications" majors from Wayhuge State Sportsball University. I went to a dedicated liberal arts/humanities school, there's a _lot_ of writing involved in those curriculums, and people actually do read what you write and rip you up and tell you it sucks if it does, in fact, suck. it's not all participation trophies and feel-good hugs

Reply to
bitrex

It's the kind of place that actually turned out published authors moving multiples of 10k units of a book. I know secondhand that when you start moving kilobook volumes of a novel you're makin' real author money, enough to afford a one bedroom in Oakland, surely and eat out at Applebees from time to time. Woohoo!

Reply to
bitrex

Anything is possible I guess but I think selling the 3 in its current configuration at the price point they want to sell it at is contingent on using the motor that it does, go induction and you end up with a car with somewhat less range or somewhat higher price tag or both.

35k is an important figure from a psychological perspective nobody get excited over a 42k electric sedan daily driver/commuter car (even if that's what most will end up selling for.)
Reply to
bitrex

bitrex wrote in news:on8lE.127359$% snipped-for-privacy@fx39.iad:

Bullshit. We produced in Hong Kong. China was given a gift when the UK gave the back the region.

We could produce all those chips and DVDs here. But they would mean that you PAY a lot more for things and growth and technology growth actually slows.

No cinese cars here... No chinese car parts here.

You make too much shit up, boy. You ARE sorry.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

boB wrote in news:ob5a9eh4se3g1550687rdfsr71a3vm6g4r@

4ax.com:

do

mfgr for PCB assemblies these days.

However, Tesla is big enough to not care about the costs or other issues with in-house production.

For them it would be a lot more useful to do in house and get quicker turns on proto designs.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Us hands on folks noticed this decades ago as it first started appearing in motherboard manulals.

There were some seriously funny writings back in the early days.

The stuff around now is tame by comparison.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

There is a lot of magic in that design. Thanks for the links.

Reply to
Yzordderrex

You're welcome. I spent a few hours exploring that, when I should have been working on the x-Chapter book, which is now under an extreme deadline for any more material, given we've already sent in the manuscript!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

It looks like that's their claim, the SIC modules anyway. But they provide very little information, the datasheet section says "To be continue ... "

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

??? The chargers I use every week are 0.125 MW. Where's the problem? The y are just multiplying by two. It seems the only real issue is the resista nce in the cable. Make it too heavy and it becomes hard to use.

Oh, yeah, they have up to 20 of these at any given installation. The combi ned limit is lower. I believe each pair of chargers will provide 144 kW. So a 20 stall installation is 1.44 MW total, about 60 homes I believe. Don 't they allow 25 kW for each home on the average? Or is that a transformer size for multiple homes?

Rick C.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

On Saturday, March 23, 2019 at 12:49:14 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com w rote:

hey are just multiplying by two. It seems the only real issue is the resis tance in the cable. Make it too heavy and it becomes hard to use.

bined limit is lower. I believe each pair of chargers will provide 144 kW. So a 20 stall installation is 1.44 MW total, about 60 homes I believe. D on't they allow 25 kW for each home on the average? Or is that a transform er size for multiple homes?

Opps, I thought we were talking about the charging. I just got finished lo oking at the wireless charging links. Pretty good stuff.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Most homes here have 230V 200A service = 46 kW. We have underground wiring, each lawn-mounted transformer box handles only 2 to 3 homes. My 120V 1.5kW charging load is minuscule. Could purchase and wire up a 230V 28A 6.5kW cable. We have 230V 50A charging outlets at work.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I have my concerns with the distribution system in the context of wide spre ad adoption of EVs and home charging. Your car is not a battery EV, so it will never need charging much faster than a 240 volt, 30 amp circuit, if th at. But proper BEVs will need to charge over night and so will pretty much always have at least a 240 volt, 30 amp charging connection or higher. Th e standard socket for many charging circuits is the 50 amp 14-50 outlet whi ch would be used at up to 40 amps. The Tesla wall unit provides higher cur rents and there may be more than one car charging in a home.

So if on the average there is one car per home adding 10 kW load, what impa ct will that have on the electrical distribution network? What are these u nits rated for currently vs. what peak loads do they actually see? I know in my home on cold winter nights the hourly kWh usage approaches 15 kWh. A dd another 10 kWh and this increases by 66%. Will the distribution grid be able to handle this?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

My car, same as other EV cars, only needs 6 to 8kWh per work day. Timing features allow that to be spaced out. Also, I daily push 30-60kWh into the grid from my roof.

Yes, some EV owners at work use the 230V,50A charging outlets, but only for a few hours, once a week, etc.

Your car is not a battery EV, so it =

--
 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

NO.(yet).

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

No, your USE CASE is yours and others may share it, but it is not universal . Your car is a hybrid and not a BEV. Those who have BEVs actually need t o charge at higher currents and total energies from time to time. For me i t is every week. For others it is every night. YOU have a 22 mile commute . My dad had a 120 mile daily commute. Many people around the DC area hav e daily commutes of 100 miles, which doesn't include the after work driving , etc.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I purchased a hybrid because I don't ever want to be stranded some day. However, I use it as an EV, with only 10-15% of my driving using gasoline. Checking, right now my average gas mileage is 386 mpg.

I have a typical suburb-to-city commute. The bulk of the Boston suburban population lives much closer than me, but many of them use rapid transit.

Some of your fears are valid, but the transition will be slow, and the grid will keep up. We have a number of companies here in MA, doing well so far developing practical inexpensive grid-scale storage systems.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Not yet

Reply to
bitrex

I'm not buying it. I'm in the city, 1 mile from the substation. Who's gonna pay for upgrading all the overhead wires and transformers and transitions to underground and more transformers? They're already bitching that they can't afford to maintain what they have already installed.

Storage is a critical issue, but local access is gonna be a big deal for local users.

I can hear your keyboard clicking about off-peak charging. That's overrated.

"Sorry dear, I can't drive you to the emergency room because the car won't have enough charge until 4AM. Put the severed finger on ice, you'll be fine."

The probability of that happening is very small...unless you're the ONE to whom it happens. How lucky do you feel?

People like to have options that are not limited by their vehicle charging schedule.

Reply to
Mike

I put up the numbers, it's a small extra percentage. But we green users who are benefiting, will surely have to pay our proper way someday in the future. I get free net-metering now, but won't always. I'm saving $10-15k to someday purchase home storage.

Few people let the charge get below say 15% remaining. But its OK, you can over-ride the timer, 15-minutes of charge will get you to the hospital and back. If you have evening plans, forget the timer completely.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win