4 out of 5 Burned Sony Data DVD's contains CRC error ?!?

Hello,

This night I was trying to backup my source code, emails, websites and information to a DVD.

This time I wanted to make 100% sure that every bit was verified and tested.

Out of 5 DVD's WinRar reported 4 DVD's as bad/corrupted/crc32 errors !

Only one DVD came through 100% perfect as far as I can tell... another DVD came very close 99.999999% perfect... but still an unexplained and undetected bit error somewhere... only the DVD copieing program detected it... I want to be 100% sure so this second one doesn't count.

That's a failure rate of 80% !

I tried the following:

  1. Burning at 4 MByte/Sec.
  2. Burning at 12 MByte/Sec.
  3. Burning at 16 MByte/Sec.
  4. Blowing the drive clean a little bit.
  5. Lowering the fans on the PC case... this seemed to help a little bit or maybe it was a fluck of luck... this DVD was 100% ok ?!?
  6. Listening on the table to see if under neighbours or cars/trucks driving by where making noise.

I noticed the IBM/Hitachi Harddisk do make quite some noise/vibrations on the wooden table.

  1. Disconnected internet.

Maybe harddisk/filesystem a little bit fragmented... by the buffers seemed to remain full... the read buffer in nero remained above 90% full...

The dvd burner (benq) did seem to drop to 23% at occasions.

One dvd had a little bit of crease and had the most errors. (Wrote with waterpen on it before burning the rest after).

All other dvd's came clean out of the sony cakebox.

I feel lucky and blessed that I at least got one good DVD out of this experiment and necessary backup.

Let this posting be a warning message to those programmers and other people out there thinking about using DVD's as backup mediums !

Always verify the DVD... but that's not enough !

One DVD still came through "verified" by the DVD writing program... however WinRar still reported corruption.

Another explanation could be that some of my RAM chips might be corrupted/defect... however shouldn't I have noticed that by now ?!?

I also tried extracting the originals on the harddisk... and no bit errors or crc's error happen there which more or less proves that it's probably not a memory error... since it would probably use the same ammount of memory and such.

I am just hoping that one copy remains good fingers crossed... I also had another copy... at least the rar's where good.. but maybe some of the software like executables for extraction might be nuked.

(I also have dual layer verbatims on my closest shelfes... didn't try those yet... since backup data was about 2.7 GB... so saving those for some other time ;)... these were 4 GB Sony DVD's which I used...)

What's your experience with burning DVD's... anybody out there experiencing high failure rates ?!?

Maybe with sony dvd's or benq dvd drives ?

(This is 2006 technology ;) :))

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Anyway... what I would need for good backup purposes on DVD's is something better than WinRar.

I need some sort of compression tool, which does do compression... but which also adds redundancy...

So that it can at least recover from single bit errors ?!? (Maybe even multiple bit errors ?!?)

Just detecting bit errors like WinRar does is not really enough... since bit errors seems to happen more often than not.

Does such a "compression/redundancy tool" already exist ?!?

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Hmm interesting I came across this website which claims WinRar can add error correcting codes to archives...

As far as I know the wizard doesn't show it... during compression decisions...

So apperently this is a tool/feature that can be applied to archives after they are created...

And indeed WinRar does have a "command" called: "protect archive from damage".

I am going to try this feature out and see how it works out...

And then I am gonna try one last burn and see if it can actually recover from bit errors ! ;) :)

Later I might "study" the bad burns to see what kind of bit errors occured... or maybe not since my time is valuable too you know... me don't have much time to f*ck around like this ! ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

This could be a nice feature... since the ammount of compressed data is only

2.7 GB and DVD has room for 4.7 GB...

Though I also believe more data on DVD is more potential for problems... especially outer rings...

There are multiple rar's which need to be "protected from damage"... so some rars might move more closer to outer rings which makes it a bit more risky but ok... maybe the recovery data can recover from that... it's worth a try...

I do which this tool was a bit more flexible... so that I could protect all files... not just rar's...

I shall put the remaining files in a rar as well so that they can be protected as well..

I also wish this tool had some kind of calculator for all files... to calculate the percentage...

Or even better just specify the "free space" on dvd...

But ok... it doesn't have that and for now it's guess work...

So far my calculation seems to be around 71% of extra records could be added... assuming Sony didn't lie and 4.7 GB actually means 4.7 GB ;)

For now I will go with 70% to be on the same side... The default seems to be

1%... so 70% seems to be much more !

Almost double ! ;)

So here goes... to be continued... I fear this is gonna be an allocation problem... like oh shit... it didn't fit ?! :)

I guess most important files should go first... then other files might receive a little bit less or so to make it fit after all ;) Unless it gets to bad ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Hmm one last thing... I can't compress WinRar351.exe ofcourse... it needs to remain the way it is... but the rest could do ! ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Hmm that's kinda stupid...

The redundancy information seems to be limited to only 10% ?!?

That does make it a no brainer to try it out... but I wonder if it's gonna work at all...

But might as well spent another sony dvd on it... since I got plenty of those things...

Kinda interesting to see if it's gonna work or not...

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Ok,

Another bad toaster for the closet.

Conclusions:

  1. DVD technology might be nice for audio, but is bad for data.
  2. WinRar repair feature sux.

At least with these multiple bad toastest it's possible to still recover some data...

Each DVD has certain files which work... which didn't work on others and vice versa...

So with a bit of luck all might be recovered...

But for me this won't do... It's pretty crazy having to collect multiple dvd's just to be able to restore something successfull... just testing what's working and what's not working costs a shit load of time !

So not gonna do that... for now I will have to rely on good faith and hoping that some files are ok...

I think so since I already spent a shit load of time on testing it out with WinRar's "test" feature which indicates crc32 failures on some files and some not.

Kinda sux... I kinda regret buying 500 of these dvd's in the past... since they so bad... or my drive bad... or the technology bad... who knows ;)

At least I can give them away for free... as audio dvd's when somebody has audio dvd's... but I know of nobody that has audio dvd's lol ;) :)

Or it can keep trying and getting a good burn...

Maybe the verbatin disks will give better results but I doubt it...

I shall have to find another backup strategy in the future or maybe near future...

Backing up everything to backup harddisks seems best to me...

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

The tools that are in place are beyond the comprehension of Usenet group abusing retards like you.

AFTER you find out what posting conventions and protocols are, and AFTER you start following them, you MIGHT get better answers to your wildly STUPID question from the perspective of nearly all the groups you have decided to INVADE with your stupid horseshit.

Reply to
CellShocked

Firstly, if a given brand is consistently unreliable, make absolutely sure that you do not use any other brands - that way the result will perfectly match you in that regard. Secondly, you forgot to look in the bit bucket.

Reply to
Robert Baer

We get 100% yield on burning data DVDs. But we're not subject to the Skybuck Factor.

John

On a sunny day (Fri, 30 Oct 2009 07:30:39 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Same here, 100%, but I use Verbatim only. I even get a 100% on printing the layouts on the printables, before and after burning those. In Linux, using gimp to make the layouts. Because in the past printing sometimes failed, I now print them first and then burn them. Making nice layouts, so your disks look good, makes all the difference.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I use colored Sharpie pens. 100% success rate, so far.

John

On a sunny day (Fri, 30 Oct 2009 08:38:18 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Tedious when you have pictures, graphics, and 2 groups of 20 lines of text. It is even an art to find suitable fonts to get all on a DVD sometimes. Then there is the color spectrum, 4 colors for your pens perhaps, while in gimp I can just make my own.

There are special pens to write on CDs and DVDs, the ink is not supposed to damage the disk. Used those in the old days. Interesting is, that on the printable Verbatim, you can just draw with pencil, write on it, just do not press too hard, you will like that.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

EGGS ACT LEE

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Not when you go through them like I do.

I burn many Linux release disks each month as they come out.

There are also beta developments.

Nothing more than a few words done with a marker is all that is needed.

Now, your pirated DVD collection might be a different story.

I also DL software and try them out. Those disks go away within 24Hrs.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

That is just as bad as "free credit report dot com"

There is a sucker born every minute.

The vehicle in a sharpie evaporates in mere seconds, and does NOT harm optical discs, unless you bought them at Harbor Freight or the like. Likely not even then.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I'd be willing to bet that you are an ESD nightmare.

Despite you thinking that you are protecting your equipment, it is pretty blatantly obvious that you are not.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

The default BIOS setting DOES.

You have to manually set it to "manual" and then NO overclocking.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

His hard drive remarks were baseless and pretty stupid.

In fact, it was the military that originally contracted that hard drives be built and that is why they were practically rugged this whole time. They are not "rugged", but they are mil spec, mechanically speaking.

The original drives could not handle as much because they were 5.25" form factor and had much larger masses being motored around on older technology bearings. Those drives had way more problems.

Modern drives claim to be able to handle certain shocks *while under operation*. They can certainly handle multi-axial transitions.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever