Subject Author Posted Replies

Stalled EV
The first link is to a story about a tow truck driver towing his first EV. This EV driver would've been ok if he had a hybrid. <> Here's a Consumer Reports article about hybrids. <> I wouldn't want an...
107
107

Latest Skype update reboots without hardware lock or user password.
This AM, Skype updated and rebooted without a ctrl-alt-del hardware lock or user password. version 8.97.0.204 on a W7 machine. ? RL
1
1

pick-and-place thru-hole parts?
I'm imagining a board with about 100 small relays. The relays would have ordinary pins poking out the bottom of the can. We could hand place them and then use our selective solder machine. I wonder if...
8
8

Short track and impedance matching
Hi We have a GaN FET that is dumping voltage into a capacitor. The GaN drain is connected to 50V, and the capacitor is connected on the source of the FET. Sort of like this: "To load" is connected to...
20
20

AC coupling caps
Typically, an AC coupling cap is driven from a low impedance source and only the load needs to be factored into the frequency equation. But when the cap is on the input, is it typical to factor in the...
45
45

OT. Michelin Snow Tire Recall
In the off chance that someone here has snow tires: <> It's good old fashioned common sense in my world that vehicles slide around or get stuck in snow no matter what tires they have.
6
6

DVM measuring volts and amps
I wonder if this works: idea being to just ask the DVM to measure the voltage or the current. The DVM would be a benchtop, probably a Keithley 2100 or something. The issue is whether the current path...
19
19

LED in hermetic envelope?
I'm noticing dollar store 120V LED lamps in hermetic glass bulbs. Emitter assemblies are the yellow stick variety (two in series - paralleled)rather than SMD plates. Is this just employing on-hand...
21
21

Good day for the lil guy (hardware design)
Some libs are annoyed that Dominion "sold out" by settling with Fox, that's dumb. They're not regulators and they speak the same language Murdoch speaks (and probably the only one his ilk understands)...
13
13

Digikey degrading
A recent Digikey parts search, sorted by price, starts with thousands of "marketplace" products priced at 0.01 and not in stock. And they feel free to ignore search constraints... not that their...
10
10

Two transistors, same number, different sizes?
I have a 500W switched mode power supply and a pair of J13009 transistors have failed. I mistakenly thought a J13009 was a J13009. What arrived was TO220 instead of TO247. Can J13009 really have two...
4
4

The Very Fast Plane Company, Inc.
And other such company names. Latest example: we've been buying nice shiny laser-engraved boxes from in Shenzhen. Cheers Phil Hobbs
1
1

Re: OT? Germany Shutting Down Nuke Plants
In Germany, the governments taxpayer money on educating the workforce, and the more productive work force this produces lets Germany exort as much as the US despite having about a quarter of...
10
10

triggering things with ethernet
Suppose one were to send a broadcast packet from a PC to multiple boxes over regular 100 Mbit ethernet, without any fancy time protocols like PTP or anything. Each box would accept the packet as a...
48
48

Bald Eagles per Jelly Doughnut
I often get frustrated when having to do calcuations that involve imperial units, especially anything to do with specific heats. These are some of the most metric resistant values, in common usage. I...
7
7