300V power supply.

Most any waveform will pump a C-W string. That includes a low-duty-cycle flyback.

lunatic fringe electronics

It would be fun to make a big CW, like a megavolt or something. A string of cheap PC boards could do that.

lunatic fringe electronics

I'm not sure what you mean by a string of PC boards. I've got this guys book, where he makes a 250 kV C-W.

I think you need to start worrying about x-rays at those voltages.

Oh, the UCSB fel runs off a huge Van de Graff. (I guess it's real name is a pelletron.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Oh that saves me some time! Thanks. GH

Reply to
George Herold

Er, no it isn't. It *really* isn't.

Cursitor Doom

That LTC chip is not very expensive, and the simulation seems to work accurately. Unless you are going to make many thousand units, the chip is worth it.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

from

/AN118fb.pdf

Maybe you missed the part about high reliability, ruggedization, burn-in an d cycling test. These are better than militarized. And they're going to cos t.

"Pico Electronics, Inc. is the industry leader for manufacturing high relia bility miniature and ultra-miniature passive magnetic components. From the depths of the oceans, to the surface of Mars, Pico?s transformers a nd inductors are used in the most rugged applications. Many Pico Transforme rs and Inductors have passed 300 thermal cycles and have been exposed to a variety of temperature extremes. Our products have been engineered, and des igned into, applications throughout the Aerospace, Defense, Space, and Comm ercial Industries. Where a design demands reliability, when size and weight constraints are a factor, Pico Electronics? products are the solut ion."

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

With air insulation, you'd find the limits at half a megavolt, if your room had a 12ft ceiling...

When I say 'your' room, I don't intend that you should be in it when the power is on.

Reply to
whit3rd

The usual reason for HV transformers (insulation and winding intended for the purpose) is to drive cold cathode fluorescent backlights (so, it's a source that's drying up).

This datasheet says it all:

Reply to
whit3rd

x-rays start a good order of magnitude below that

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Make a little PC board like his, 50 KV or so. Then string a bunch in series. Maybe battery power each one... a long pure CW string gets messy because of all the capacitors in series.

I want to buy a lot of doorknob capacitors, charge them one at a time to 30 KV, and poke them into a plastic pipe, in series.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Make sure the pipe is full of transformer oil. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs
[Snip!]

Erwin Otto Marx used to do something like that.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Marxist.

Shocking.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

If efficiency and board area are not an issue and you are pushed for design time then using mains power transformers "backwards" is an easy option. SMPS flyback types or even plain ol' laminated 50/60Hz. Since your output current need is low I think a voltage doubler rectifier could be useful. Sometimes a low switching frequency is easier to cope with from a noise/EMI p.o.v.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

That was Karl.

Yes.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

I invented one topology that Phil called the Groucho Marx Generator.

lunatic fringe electronics

Je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho ...

from the 1968 student unrest in Paris.

Erwin Otto Marx doesn't seem to have member of Karl Marx's family (one of K arl Marx cousins set up Philips Electrical in the Netherlands, though it wa s the founder's sons who were the famous Philips brothers, so there is an e lectrical connection there) or related to any of the Marx brothers.

You'll have to settle for being electrically rather than politically shocke d.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

No, that was Otto. The pun is in making the temporary redefinition. And now I've killed it. I hope you're happy. :^)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Tim Williams

I thought Marxist Generators were colleges and universities.

Reply to
krw