Subject Author Posted Replies

MEMS is back
keep introducing breakthrough MEMS relays but, so far, none have been successful products. Omron introduced a MEMS relay but they seem EOL already. Improve Insertion Loss with the MM5130 is the...

5 GHz ferrite beads!
I like to use SiGe microwave transistors for all sorts of off-label things, as some SED veterans may remember. The Infineon BFP640 and BFP650 parts aren't the absolute fastest any more--they top out...
4
4

more "American" cheese
added pics from the Safeway cheese island. Safeway is our giant generic supermarket so doesn't have the exotica of the smaller markets and cheese stores, but there's still a lot of good stuff. We...
42
42

Current limiting with a mosfet?
Is it easy to make a simple circuit to limit a 12V DC current to 50A using a mosfet? Can I just give it a variable voltage to turn it on a certain amount? Or is it not that easy?
21
21

Power line time base
Turbine generators turn at a regulated frequency, and even 100+ years ago they must have kept it somewhat close to optimum, probably using a mechanical regulator. When did they start doing it with...
14
14

Toyota Solid State Battery
It supposedly will give a vehicle 900 mile range someday. No details. <> Toyota claims solid-state EV battery tech breakthrough Toyota claims solid-state EV battery tech breakthrough
9
9

another air flow sensor circuit
(I hope that link works) The darlington is a TO-92 sticking up from the PCB into the air stream. The idea is to turn on the mosfet for a while to heat up the darlington, then turn it off and take a...
3
3

Rise time of standard FR4 vs low loss laminates
Hi I am working on a design where we have a fast rise time of a signal, below 1ns and above 50V. We want that fast risetime, part of the requirement. The topic has come up of the selection of the...
6
6

Explain the output of the old TV flyback transformers.
I'm backing off of the neon sign transformer 12kV power supply. For the reasons I was told, the low frequency requires big capacitors. Also, I ordered 20kV caps from Amazon and 6 of the 12 failed at...
22
22

Is a Gray code counter more energy efficient?
In binary ripple counters, many bits change on a clock tick (lowest bit changes every time, bit#2 changes half the time, bit #3 changes every fourth clock...) so there's a log(N) scaling for N-bit...
76
76

How do I post a spreadsheet?
I can't seem to recall how to post a spreadsheet. Any ide?
6
6

Triac EMI during commutation and keeping it on to solve the problem
Hi So there's been some nice discussion about Triacs. I have an application where an opto diac is controlling a Triac that can powers an ac load. During commutation, when the current in the Triac is...
24
24

Diac Testing
Gentlemen, I have a large assortment of diodes of all descriptions in my copious parts inventory. However, there are some diacs in amongst them as I recently discovered to my cost in terms of wasted...
13
13

worker-guy rant
's right. Not everybody can play the college-essay game, and we don't need millions of artists and sociologists and film-makers surviving as Uber drivers and baristas. "America is lending money it...
24
24

OT: Trmp is not looking so happy these days
"In my administration I'm going to enforce all laws concerning the protection of classified information," Trump said during his campaign in 2016. "No one is above the law." As reported by Reuters....
14
14